LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

LLL-RadialEngine.zip

Right. It seems pretty well balanced to me stats wise, but if anyone has any suggestions then I'm open to them.

Also, found out from the B9 thread that you can put specular maps in the alpha channel - something I was not aware of - so take that into consideration if you're changing the textures yourself.

http://imgur.com/a/YcYHF - Messing around and landing it on the moon.

Edited by Lack

May I ask for more adapter ?

The first one would be a 2x1 adaptor but offset on one side. For exemple it would make the transition from the kethane tank to the fuel tank nicer in this kind of design :

LLL_4x2_Rover.jpg

The second one would be an 6x2 adaptor. To make the transition form the cockpit to the tank in this design :

LLL_6x2_Rover.jpg

A 4x2 adaptor with 1 center node and 2 node near the side would do too, since you could combine it with the 2x1 offset adaptor to get the same result.

This thread is back! Cool.

We can show of cool things you can do with this pack again.

Q. Where do you go to see the best of a classic sci-fi genera, the space opera?

A. To the Space Opera house!

Imagine this:

sydney_opera_house.jpg

In orbit.

CSSIr2R.png

8C9ZrhT.png

Close enough.

4ea8A1R.jpg

98AVlG9.png

zQxjHNX.png

Edited by Tw1

Made a new engine today, still playing around with stats and effects. Currently thinking of an alternative nuclear engine, one that burns very hot, current stats: ISPvac: 600, ISPatm: 280, weight: 5t. Max thrust is set at 300kN, but you won't get more than about 190kN steady before it starts to quickly over-heat.

exCxH7X.png

OSmlAeR.png

mghCmG7.png

jskbdO2.png

And then mucking around with FX:

V1rWFEb.png

Well i think it looks much better without the FX, like a futuristic engine

Yeah, I agree. The FX was a case of 'because I could'.

I did change the cfg on my Mainsail to that FX though, figured it looked more 'rockety' and deserving of the thrust it has.

That engine looks awesome! Are you planning a single wide version as well?

It's a 2x1 part, there's two side-by-side in those screenshots.

Here's a test version:

LLL2x1Engine-TEST.zip

I'd be grateful for suggestions about stats, type of engine and .cfg tweaks.

I'm going to mess around at lunch today as well, make a spreadsheet of current engine stats and see if I can't come up with something balanced. Currently I quite like the idea of something that can go more powerful for brief periods, but will over-heat quickly if you push it (it currently over-heats a bit too fast).

cTfWvNC.png

Edited by Lack

I don't do many large building projects but those engines just tippped me over to downloading the pack. Great stuff, all of it!

With regards to balancing, just think about what you want to do with the thing. Personally I'd raise the Isp to more nuclear levels, and balance it as a spacey engine for spacey things but I've got nuclear engines on the brain at the moment. The overheating mechanic is a good idea.

(By the way, what is that effect you were using on it?)

You don't have to! It was my curiosity getting a word in.

Heh, don't worry about it, I rather like the prospect of making 1x1 engine.

Besides, I find if something doesn't interest me I've normally already wondered off and started playing with a ball of string or something shiny (Luckily I find most things interesting).

I don't do many large building projects but those engines just tippped me over to downloading the pack. Great stuff, all of it!

With regards to balancing, just think about what you want to do with the thing. Personally I'd raise the Isp to more nuclear levels, and balance it as a spacey engine for spacey things but I've got nuclear engines on the brain at the moment. The overheating mechanic is a good idea.

(By the way, what is that effect you were using on it?)

I was thinking of a nuclear engine that can cope in thin atmospheres, perhaps Duna. The heating is a basic heating emissive map, but set to throttle rather than heat and with a really low response speed.

MODULE
{
name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
animationName = 2x1ENGanim
dependOnEngineState = True
responseSpeed = 0.005
}

The FX from before is fx_exhaustFlame_yellow with fx_smokeTrail_medium if I remember correctly.

Edited by Lack

Here's another question: Why do the nodes for your base structures the 6 node research stations only attach from the top? instead of all the nodes including side nodes in the VAB?

If that doesn't make sense the way I described it, let me know.

Otherwise you have great parts! Have you seen this? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24849-WIP-THSS-Tri-Hexagonal-Structural-Strut

I'm trying to think of a way to incorporate it into a LLL based structure/ship, given its lines. Just forwarding some inspiration.

Edited by shadowsutekh

Thank you for a really nice mod! This goes with B9 like good wine and cheese :)

Re: engines. Have you thought about implementing a linear aerospike? They're real-world, and I've yet to see a KSP implementation. Also the look would suit your mod perfectly, I believe.

Real linear 'spikes can't gimbal, though...

Ok, That nuke engine looks pretty polished to me. It could use a heating animation, but it looks good. I like how, if you use it in atmosphere, there are little white particles that can be seen in the exhaust- it really nails the feeling that I am pumping radioactive material into the atmosphere....

Edit- if it overheated about 10% slower, or .9* current rate, it would be rather nice.

This pack is just fantastic. Really enjoying how well balanced the whole pack is. Already enjoyed fooling around with it to see how well every goes together. Could do with a couple of adapters to take it to standard cylinders, for compatibility with launch vehicles and the such. Other than that, I can't fault it.

Here's another question: Why do the nodes for your base structures the 6 node research stations only attach from the top? instead of all the nodes including side nodes in the VAB?

If that doesn't make sense the way I described it, let me know.

If you've noticed the stock 6-way node works the same way. As a modder, there's not much you can do to fix this. Since the node is symmetrical, I wouldn't worry about it too much

Ok, That nuke engine looks pretty polished to me. It could use a heating animation, but it looks good. I like how, if you use it in atmosphere, there are little white particles that can be seen in the exhaust- it really nails the feeling that I am pumping radioactive material into the atmosphere....

Edit- if it overheated about 10% slower, or .9* current rate, it would be rather nice.

I'm not sure if you can have a throttle and heating animation at the same time, I've seen the question asked a few times though. I originally had it set as a heating anim, but it didn't work very well at low throttles, hence switching it over to throttle control with the low response time.

I've been playing around with it a bit more this evening, found that the cooling grills actually work as intended, try slapping a pair of them onto the side of the nuclear engine.

I also wanted to see if I could manage landing a largeish ship on Duna with it. I did, but it took a few attempts.

ReOt9vQ.jpg

sTXrxmc.jpg

el5x5G3.png

9aVxNi2.png

DCkiv3d.png

G19axm9.png

FNfMlsY.png

Imgur album of my failures.

Just enough delta-v left for a return to Kerbin, but given that I'd hyper-edited into orbit around Duna it would need a refuelling capacity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.