LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

@wasmic,

Thanks, yep, 3.75m engines and decouplers are coming.

http://imgur.com/a/Wy0lS

I'm unsure as whether to have the Saturn V as a separate download or not. I'm not entirely convinced about the balance of 5m parts.

5m parts? Well, if in doubt, make it a seperate download, or just a seperate folder in the download. Anyway, 5m parts don't make it THAT much easier to go to space - it does make it simpler, though, and it allows you to go to space with style, without having to use part clipping. By the way, the first engine there looks like a N-1 first stage on anti-steroids. I love it.

Well, it's KSP, there's no 'right way' for anything, but here's how I use them:

Ladybug: http://i.imgur.com/u4RQNuu.jpg

Scarab: http://i.imgur.com/2JkW65I.jpg

The scavenger pod is simple to use. It's just a command pod with some RCS, liquid fuel engines. It can also latch onto most common docking ports with the top node.

@wasmic,

Thanks, yep, 3.75m engines and decouplers are coming.

http://imgur.com/a/Wy0lS

I'm unsure as whether to have the Saturn V as a separate download or not. I'm not entirely convinced about the balance of 5m parts.

XD love the N1 parts, are those 48-7Ss added in via MODEL{} node?

XD love the N1 parts, are those 48-7Ss added in via MODEL{} node?

That probably would have been easier actually, I made a new engine piece to look a bit closer to the NK-15's mounted in the N1 base, but looking at it again, the 47-7S is a better fit than I remembered.

Edit: Also, Kerbals are pretty small.

nTHwQay.png

Not part of the mod, just something I was playing with a while back. (Reference figure is 6 foot).

Edited by Lack

Question: Does the Tug successfully dock with stock docking ports? (Or rather docking ports that share the same size node?)

Yes. It docks to sizes 0 , 1 and 2 (that is 0.625, 1.25 and 2.5m). If you open up the .cfg you'll see

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
referenceAttachNode = top
nodeType = size1
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
nodeType = size0
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
nodeType = size2
}

@Mekanik

*snip*

I'll put a picture up in a moment.

Edited by Lack

Ok then, so as long as what I'm docking to has the same size it will work. Thank you! And keep up the good work!

Yep.

Also, the Monolith is being a bit odd with the shading, I'll re-upload a new one soon.

EDIT:

Okay, it just seems to be that way (you can see it at the top of the monolith in the picture, but it's only when it catches the light so). Made it a bit darker too. It's just a box with the correct dimensions, nothing fancy.

Biz3Aa6.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/Monolith.zip

Also,

Made a new structural panel.

VkSoy4N.png?1

Edited by Lack

Right, next update.

SXT-alpha-0-7 - Including the Saturn V parts and craft file .zip

And without: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/SXT-alpha-0-7-WithoutSaturnV.zip

Includes:

>Saturn V parts and a craft file. I've given a munar landing and return mission a a run through (with FAR, but it has 10k delta-v so stock should be fine too) and it works pretty well.

>The N1-like 3.75m Engine and decoupler

>LV-T80: A new 1.25m engine, a half-way between the stock LV-T45 and a Skipper.

>Triangular Structural Panel

I think that's everything.

I forgot to add the tail-fins onto the craft file, and I haven't got a proper escape tower built yet. Nor is it properly balanced, but you get the idea. If anyone's willing to take a shot at balancing it themselves then that would be fantastic.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Lack

-awesomeness-

KSPX escape tower works pretty well as far as an Apollo-esque one.

And that is really really cool.

Lack have you ever considered doing a stock-a-like Altair lander http://imgur.com/a/72OrI

He already has a Saturn V and by my maths, a stock SLS replica would be 5m. The groundwork is already there, he just needs the Altair lander and some biga-- SRBs. How kerbal.

It is possible you've reversed your intended positions for the LV-T80 and the K1 Engine Base in the tech tree? It seems to me like you should get the former about the same time you get the Skipper, and the latter at the same time you get the 3.75m and 5m parts, rather than the other way around.

Lack, a request. I can't find a .23 one-man command pod that has lots of glass for a clear view from inside the capsule for viewing stations on approach and for docking maneuvers that also has room there for a Clamp-O-Tron regular or Jr. I would love to have a command pod like that to use as a small tug and also that could be configured as a light lander.

I did a few test launches with both the 3.75m parts and the 5m parts yesterday(different timezones:P) they seem quite well balanced to me actually. A full 3 stage 5m rocket is slow and difficult to get into orbit(as it should be) but once you manage to do it it can put some enourmous payloads into orbit. A 3.75m corestage design is quite nice for saving part count and dont feel op.

A few requests for additional parts i have would be two or three single( to triple) nozzle engines for the 3.75m parts: corestage(mainsail), middlestage/light corestage (skipper), upper/transferstage(lv909/poodle). I would also love a 3.75m pod and 3.75m landing capsule+dedicated lander engine and bigger lander legs.

Hi Lack, i've a problem with the part Large Cargo Box, that does not fix properly on its extremities.

Any idea of what could be the problem ?

Other point, there is no hull for the MkIV Buster, especially as the Large Cargo Box has a problem.

See this picture :

1392885800-problem-lll.png

Edit : 1) a friend told me i can't use the LCB like that, 2) i was not using the LLL full last version where i found a hull for the Mk4

Edited by ndiver

Lack, in my request for a small command pod with a view, I forgot to say why I was asking here. It's because the Bonny is so close to what I'm looking for, it's just a little long and it's in the style of an aircraft. But the style isn't as important as the length, which is awkward when building a ship for docking or for landing vertically.

Hi Lack, i've a problem with the part Large Cargo Box, that does not fix properly on its extremities.

Any idea of what could be the problem ?

Other point, there is no hull for the MkIV Buster, especially as the Large Cargo Box has a problem.

See this picture :

-snip-

Edit : 1) a friend told me i can't use the LCB like that, 2) i was not using the LLL full last version where i found a hull for the Mk4

What node edit would one do to make it attach vertically? There seems to be non-functioning nodes there already, which is confusing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.