LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

Has anybody had any luck with the catfish lander? Even though I very carefully balance the thrust (four engines mounted radially at the corners so it takes off like the cancelled NASA constellation lander) I can't get it to fly without going nose down. It's like the catfish has a higher mass than what shows up on the mass center. Looks like Felbourn had the same problem during his project odyssey testing of this part. It happens even while taking off so I don't think it's an aero effect. The best I can do is put the rear engine thrust limit at 74.5% and then it takes off ok but as soon as I start moving it around it will nose over. I have the two sets of engines mounted to a fuel tank each and TAC balancing enabled so I think I've ruled out shifting fuel too.

I'm doing a mission report called the Sunrise Manifest which is going to be making extensive use of LLL parts, so I thought I'd share this teaser here.

It's called the Sunrise Corvette. It is designed as a Duna shuttle for 8 passengers and 2 crew, and will also push substantial payloads to the red planet.

The Sunrise Corvette is powered by 4 nuclear engines and features 2 spaces for each crew member (emergency capacity 18), belly docking port and senior docking port for payloads, Kethane scanner, antenna array (long and short range), solar array, cupola and nicely positioned windows for those views. Oh yes mood lighting too!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm not sure if this is related to SXT, but I only seem to get it in the CANIOT crew module. Sometimes vessels with it will be unclickable in the tracking center, and there's a weird error in the log. I think the kerbals are getting corrupted or something. If I go into the persistence file and edit them out it loads the vessel just fine.

The error is always something like this:

[WRN 19:58:00.247] [Protocrewmember]: Instance of crewmember ProtoCrewMember in part STXCANIOT on Mun Party Alpha Ship did not match instance of Rayemy Kerman on crew roster. (Stored index: Rayemy Kerman)

Does anybody know what this might be indicative of? I doubt it's SXT actually causing it, but it doesn't seem to happen to stock pods. I'm running the 32 bit version, the only other mod I can think of that may be affecting crew is ship manifest. Does anybody else have this problem?

Sounds like the kerbal decided to try dividing by zero and, as expected, he broke the universe.

Alright, so that was slightly less than completely useless of a comment... but it was hilarious. It's okay, I know you're laughing on the inside.

I'm not sure if this is related to SXT, but I only seem to get it in the CANIOT crew module. Sometimes vessels with it will be unclickable in the tracking center, and there's a weird error in the log. I think the kerbals are getting corrupted or something. If I go into the persistence file and edit them out it loads the vessel just fine.

The error is always something like this:

Does anybody know what this might be indicative of? I doubt it's SXT actually causing it, but it doesn't seem to happen to stock pods. I'm running the 32 bit version, the only other mod I can think of that may be affecting crew is ship manifest. Does anybody else have this problem?

Hmmm, I'm genuinely not sure. I've had a look through the config, and I can't see anything obvious.

I wonder if it's related to having more crew than the IVA technically supports, are there a lot of kerbals in it? I'll have to do an IVA focused update, I'm better at them now and just about enjoy making them.

I suspect it might have something to do with that, but I'm not really sure. I launched and landed it full, though. One of the kerbals might have had something wrong with him, I got him out via clicking on the crew hatch to EVA and he couldn't walk, but he could RCS around. It was weird. This didn't happen the other time I had the bug though.

Edit: The hexagonal solar panels can't be launched without them breaking somehow, not sure why that is either.

Edited by oniontrain

I used LLL in the past and my opinion about it is still a good one ;) BUT KSC++ BLEW MY MIND! :cool: I always wanted such a thing as trains in KSC,and now i get MOAR then trains, i also get them in KerbTown! This is awesome.Can't say anything about SXT though, as I don't really like Stock Replacement/Extension mods. Anyways you did a GREAT JOB with your mods (as always) :)

I suspect it might have something to do with that, but I'm not really sure. I launched and landed it full, though. One of the kerbals might have had something wrong with him, I got him out via clicking on the crew hatch to EVA and he couldn't walk, but he could RCS around. It was weird. This didn't happen the other time I had the bug though.

Edit: The hexagonal solar panels can't be launched without them breaking somehow, not sure why that is either.

I'll have to try messing around with it then. You could try switching the IVA to a higher capacity one perhaps, the one used by the passenger-plane fuselage seats a good many. The hexagonal panel is probably FAR, try adding one of the 'safe-words' to the title, shielded or fairing, that might work.

@SpaceMan,

Wow, that's seriously cool. Don't suppose you'd be able to post a .gif of it walking?

Edit: Hmm, the keys for @ and " have switched round while typing, have to press Shift+2 to get @ and Shift+' to get ". Forum not dealing with a UK keyboard for whatever reason? Works fine in notepad, etc.

Edited by Lack

Hey there, Lack. :)

I haven't commented here in a while, figured I'd give you and MrWizerd some time... but, how are things going on the new angled-door cargo bays? IS there any progress at all? :) Just wondering, trying my best to not be a pest. Hey, that rhymes!

Anyway, yeah. That. :)

Later! :D

Hey there, Lack. :)

I haven't commented here in a while, figured I'd give you and MrWizerd some time... but, how are things going on the new angled-door cargo bays? IS there any progress at all? :) Just wondering, trying my best to not be a pest. Hey, that rhymes!

Anyway, yeah. That. :)

Later! :D

Unless MrWizerd has done anything, not much. It's textured and in Unity, but I was very busy with work at the time, so stopped and haven't gone back to it.

Edit:

More stuff for the next version of SXT

New Cockpit:

IzNauTD.png

Also overhauled the 5m parts:

yRLYkXP.png

Airbrakes:

xKoFP0E.png

Not sure about the balancing of the air-brakes, they're currently at similar values to the B9 ones, but that does seem very strong.

Edited by Lack

Hey lack I heard one of those old modders tales that IVA's can't recycle textures like parts can is that true?

I was under that impression as well (I'm slightly worried I might have started that one, I seem to remember saying something along those lines), but it seems to work now. Not sure if Squad fixed something, or I just mucked it up first-time round.

I was under that impression as well (I'm slightly worried I might have started that one, I seem to remember saying something along those lines), but it seems to work now. Not sure if Squad fixed something, or I just mucked it up first-time round.

sweet I'll be sure to be snooping around the config files when the next version of stx hits the wild I have a few goals I want to shoot for when my schedule clears up a bit.(one of those goals being make something I'm actually confident about enough to post)(though really the stx bit I'm looking forward to the most is that inline goo pod :D )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.