[0.23.5]General Propulsionâ„¢ SOLD

Galacticruler

These tracks look so cool, but unfortunately they are so slow that they are practically useless for me :(

It takes the Mark Three, half the runway to get to 9ms, and the Mark Six ~40% of it to reach the same speed.

And this was done with 6-8 part rovers that weighted <1t and <2t.

Not only is the acceleration terrible, but, 9ms max? Ive seen racecars use the Mark Six's type tracks.

Ive been playing around with the part file for ~2 hours now, trying to edit the speed, but i simply cant get it right.

Either it goes even slower, or ends up with so much torque, that the rover flips it self on takeoff.

I did get it to go at a good speed though, with fine acceleration, but that only worked BACKWARDS! :D

Ive tried to edit all 12 torque values, one at a time, and even setting them all to a 1000, and resetting them back one by one, but i simply cannot get it too work.

Does anyone know any decent torque values? Something like 60ms with good acceleration for the Mark Three, and maybe 40ms for Mark Six?

And also so that they can actually turn unless holding still.

Edited by Conzolax

Sorry to sound like an ass but someone else needs to work on this, because he is obviously not going to do anything. Its not like anyone is gonna make money on this, we just want to have some fun. Just give credit where its due and move on.

These tracks look so cool, but unfortunately they are so slow that they are practically useless for me :(

It takes the Mark Three, half the runway to get to 9ms, and the Mark Six ~40% of it to reach the same speed.

And this was done with 6-8 part rovers that weighted <1t and <2t.

Not only is the acceleration terrible, but, 9ms max? Ive seen racecars use the Mark Six's type tracks.

Ive been playing around with the part file for ~2 hours now, trying to edit the speed, but i simply cant get it right.

Either it goes even slower, or ends up with so much torque, that the rover flips it self on takeoff.

I did get it to go at a good speed though, with fine acceleration, but that only worked BACKWARDS! :D

Ive tried to edit all 12 torque values, one at a time, and even setting them all to a 1000, and resetting them back one by one, but i simply cannot get it too work.

Does anyone know any decent torque values? Something like 60ms with good acceleration for the Mark Three, and maybe 40ms for Mark Six?

And also so that they can actually turn unless holding still.

see this?

{

key = -300 1.0 0 0

key = -70 6 0 0

key = 0 18 0 0

key = 70 6 0 0

key = 200 3.4 0 0

key = 1000 1.0 0 0

}

good... you have EYES. now the top and bottom "keys" middle value is the turning speed of the tracks.

the other four i've not quite worked out yet but i've just done this

{

key = -300 1.0 0 0

key = -70 60 0 0

key = 0 180 0 0

key = 70 60 0 0

key = 200 30.4 0 0

key = 1000 1.0 0 0

}

(now just copy and paste this to each other caterpillar track config torque curve and you'll be going up to 2000m/s in a matter of seconds :D the next problem is the electricity consumtion.)

and the "breaking torque" i put to 15 instead of 10

(copy and paste again)

then i put:

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

torqueLinkedRate = 0.03

rpmLinkedRate = 0.0009

}

as:

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

torqueLinkedRate = 0.0003

rpmLinkedRate = 0.0009

}

(this stops the tracks from taking 20.00 units of electricity per second (i know...))

now if you saw above the rpmLinkedRate is equal to 0.0009. i suggest to copy and paste this to each part config. this makes the huge tracks actually move! but if you are going to a low gravity planet i suggest not to follow these rules because they end up flipping... even with six tracks on a VERY long body.

key = 0 18 0 0

key = 70 6 0 0

The first value is at which point (here 0 so start) it should accelerate with which (here 18) force till it reach the next point (here 70) , from there on it goes on with 6 etc etc etc

As far as i remember that was per physics calculation circle. Or something like that. So a high value gives you better acceleration but also flips your vehicle easier.

A higher first number gives you more speed.

But beware: 50m/s on the big tracks with a 100+ ton vehicle on them are not good if you try to break. You might want to start breaking then 1km before you arrive :D

not THAT slow though, with a 55 ton object on them they move just fine(~10m/s)

try HoY's solution, and if they still fail, idk what you could do.

Ok, how fast should they be on Kerbin? I was testing them out just to see, and it doesn't move. The speed indicator will get up to a wopping .5m/s for a split second before it dumps back to .1m/s and just wobbles back and forth. This at the runway mind you. I attached a one Kerbal capsule to the front and launched it from the hanger. The tracks TRIED to move, but couldn't. It's like there's not enough torque to pull the first piece of the track under the front gear. Basically I can see them move a little bit, like it wants to go but it can't. I was wondering if there's just too much gravity or atmosphere on Kerbin? (although I'm not sure how that would cause problems, but who knows with Kerbal physics!)

Edited by Vladthemad

Ok, how fast should they be on Kerbin? I was testing them out just to see, and it doesn't move. The speed indicator will get up to a wopping .5m/s for a split second before it dumps back to .1m/s and just wobbles back and forth. This at the runway mind you. I attached a one Kerbal capsule to the front and launched it from the hanger. The tracks TRIED to move, but couldn't. It's like there's not enough torque to pull the first piece of the track under the front gear. Basically I can see them move a little bit, like it wants to go but it can't. I was wondering if there's just too much gravity or atmosphere on Kerbin? (although I'm not sure how that would cause problems, but who knows with Kerbal physics!)

DUDE WTF

ok first you've got to edit the ""RPMLINKEDRATE"" from 0.001 (or something) to 0.0009 if you do this the tracks work just fine! (if you haven't edited the torque curve)

if you don't do this or read this post i give up on ever helping you fix your problems.

DUDE WTF

ok first you've got to edit the ""RPMLINKEDRATE"" from 0.001 (or something) to 0.0009 if you do this the tracks work just fine! (if you haven't edited the torque curve)

if you don't do this or read this post i give up on ever helping you fix your problems.

DUDE RELAX. I'm not the guy you replied to in post #229, that was Conzolax. Secondly, while it wasn't directed at me I did read your reply to him, and I did adjust the torque curves as you had suggested in the first part of your post. It seemed to change nothing while on Kerbin, so I changed it back to stock. This is only regarding the large mole tracks, the rest work fine with the stock settings, so I haven't touched them. I also read the second half of your post, but noted that you stated NOT to make that change in the rpmlinkedrate if I was going to use the tracks on other planets as it would cause them to flip. Not having a set of tracks on another planet, I am currently unable to test this out and adjust accordingly, so I left it as is.

As I stated in the post that you quoted, I'm asking if the big mole tracks only fail to function on Kerbin, which your previous post hinted at. If they work fine without doing wheelies on other planets with the stock settings, I'm fine with that. I'd just like to know prior to sending a huge base skyward, as I'd like to know they work on the Mun before wasting the effort to get them there. :)

DUDE RELAX. I'm not the guy you replied to in post #229, that was Conzolax. Secondly, while it wasn't directed at me I did read your reply to him, and I did adjust the torque curves as you had suggested in the first part of your post. It seemed to change nothing while on Kerbin, so I changed it back to stock. This is only regarding the large mole tracks, the rest work fine with the stock settings, so I haven't touched them. I also read the second half of your post, but noted that you stated NOT to make that change in the rpmlinkedrate if I was going to use the tracks on other planets as it would cause them to flip. Not having a set of tracks on another planet, I am currently unable to test this out and adjust accordingly, so I left it as is.

As I stated in the post that you quoted, I'm asking if the big mole tracks only fail to function on Kerbin, which your previous post hinted at. If they work fine without doing wheelies on other planets with the stock settings, I'm fine with that. I'd just like to know prior to sending a huge base skyward, as I'd like to know they work on the Mun before wasting the effort to get them there. :)

oh whoops sorry wrong dude :(

here's the code that is inside my "moletrack" config. copy and paste and try it. i tried it (in 0.23) and it works fine with the default settings. i've yet to try it on the Mun (i'll hyper edit it up for you and check now.

EDIT: ok the default settings should work you just need to change the rpm link rate and that should do it. it does work on the Mun but it gos sooooooo slllllooooowwwwwww~~ my advice. make it fast on land then swap to general control (by right clicking the treds or if you key bound it) and go easy on the throttle.

PART(LargeMoleTracks)

{

// this is a sample config file, for determining a good file format for defining part parameters

// comment line - ignored by cfg parser

// empty lines, or lines without a '=' sign are also ignored

// all other lines are split at the '=' sign, and the left operand is used to know what parameter we are setting

// diferent parameters require data in different formats (see docs), and each module has it's own parameters (again, see docs)

// each assignment must be in a single line. Lines without assignments will be ignored. (You CAN turn on word wrap, though)

// each keyword here relates to an existing variable in the assigned module. If the keyword isn't found, it is ignored.

// conversely, if a keyword is left unassigned (as in not in the file), it will be initialized with it's default value

// This is done automatically, so any public variable defined in the loaded module can be accessed this way (provided it's value can be parsed)

// --- general parameters ---

TechRequired = experimentalMotors

name = RBI_LargeMoleTracks

module = Part

author = Electronicfox || EndlessWaves

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

scale = 1

//scaleFactor = 1.25

rescaleFactor = 1.25

// --- node definitions ---

node_stack_front_left = -0.55, 0.6, 3.86, 0, 0, 1, 1

node_stack_front_right = 0.55, 0.6, 3.86, 0, 0, 1, 1

node_stack_rear_left = -0.55, 0.6, -5.1, 0, 0, -1, 1

node_stack_rear_right = 0.55, 0.6, -5.1, 0, 0, -1, 1

node_stack_top_front = 0, 1.82, 2, 0, 1, 0, 2

node_stack_top_rear = 0, 1.82, -2, 0, 1, 0, 2

node_stack_bottom_front = 0, -0.07, 2, 0, -1, 0, 2

node_stack_bottom_rear = 0, -0.07, -2, 0, -1, 0, 2

node_stack_top = 0, 1.82, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2

node_stack_bottom = 0, -0.07, 0, 0, -1, 0, 2

// --- FX definitions ---

// --- editor parameters ---

cost = 1100

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = Mark Five

manufacturer = Rubber Band Aircraft inc.

description = A large and heavy set of tracks, keep away from holes.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 30

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 200

breakingForce = 500

breakingTorque = 500

maxTemp = 3400

CoMOffset = 0, 0, 0

//iconCenter = 0, -0.9, -3.8

MODULE

{

name = TracksMain

developmentMode = false

identity = Controller1

customStatusLine = Track Links:

customStatusLineMin = 15

customStatusLineMax = 19

brakingTorque = 10

rollingResistance = 0.5

TorqueCurve

{

key = -300 1.0 0 0

key = -70 6 0 0

key = 0 18 0 0

key = 70 6 0 0

key = 200 3.4 0 0

key = 1000 1.0 0 0

}

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

torqueLinkedRate = 0.001

rpmLinkedRate = 0.0009

}

}

MODULE

{

name = IndividualTrack

tracksMainIdentity = Controller1

trackName = Left

trackRootGameObjectName = LeftTrackRoot

trackThickness = 0.3

trackLength = 12

}

MODULE

{

name = IndividualTrack

tracksMainIdentity = Controller1

trackName = Right

trackRootGameObjectName = RightTrackRoot

trackThickness = 0.3

trackLength = 12

}

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 2000

maxAmount = 2000

}

}

copy this into your config file and it should work. what i've done is just mess with the rpmlinkedrate and it just works for me. i'm on a 64-bit linux rig here though so it might be different for windows or mac.

ok it seems if you copy my config setup up there into your config file you'll get a nice 100m/s on kerbin but flip on the Mun. sorry i can't help out any more. i'll keep messing around until i find a solution if i can.

Edited by AntiMatter001

oh whoops sorry wrong dude :(

--snip--

ok it seems if you copy my config setup up there into your config file you'll get a nice 100m/s on kerbin but flip on the Mun. sorry i can't help out any more. i'll keep messing around until i find a solution if i can.

Hah, it's cool. When I read your post, I just thought "What the heck is he pissed at me for?" and I went back and reread the last few pages. After I realized you thought I was the other person I laughed. Don't kill yourself trying to work it out, I don't need the big tracks to do 100m/s, 10 or 15 on the Mun is fine if slow. Haha, isn't 100m/s close to terminal velocity on the surface of Kerbin anyway? Aww yeah, tracked base is breaking the sound barrier!!! Seriously tho, I don't plan on circumnavigating the surface. I'm going to build a kethane bore rig and being able to drive a few klicks will make it so I don't have to land so precisely. Thanks for the quick reply!

Hah, it's cool. When I read your post, I just thought "What the heck is he pissed at me for?" and I went back and reread the last few pages. After I realized you thought I was the other person I laughed. Don't kill yourself trying to work it out, I don't need the big tracks to do 100m/s, 10 or 15 on the Mun is fine if slow. Haha, isn't 100m/s close to terminal velocity on the surface of Kerbin anyway? Aww yeah, tracked base is breaking the sound barrier!!! Seriously tho, I don't plan on circumnavigating the surface. I'm going to build a kethane bore rig and being able to drive a few klicks will make it so I don't have to land so precisely. Thanks for the quick reply!

yeah if you stick with the deafault config (except the rpmlinkedrate which you change to 0.0009) you should go a steady 1.3 m/s on kerbin and 1.3m/s on the Mun.

thank god for hyper edit or i would have to launch the damn thing into space.

yeah if you stick with the deafault config (except the rpmlinkedrate which you change to 0.0009) you should go a steady 1.3 m/s on kerbin and 1.3m/s on the Mun.

thank god for hyper edit or i would have to launch the damn thing into space.

I'm playing career mode KMP with some friends, so hyper edit is a little too cheaty when others are involved. One of the mods does allow orbital/landed building though so once I get my station up I'll be good to go. Currently I have a pulsating lag issue though...it hits every twenty seconds and when the physics stutters it breaks my large rockets! :/ After THAT is fixedI'll get that beast of a base for a mobile base to the moon...haha.

I'm playing career mode KMP with some friends, so hyper edit is a little too cheaty when others are involved. One of the mods does allow orbital/landed building though so once I get my station up I'll be good to go. Currently I have a pulsating lag issue though...it hits every twenty seconds and when the physics stutters it breaks my large rockets! :/ After THAT is fixedI'll get that beast of a base for a mobile base to the moon...haha.

I'm surprised you got it UP THERE. i can't get it off the damn planet. i've tried everything! could you posibly show me some pics of your craft?

I'm surprised you got it UP THERE. i can't get it off the damn planet. i've tried everything! could you posibly show me some pics of your craft?

I suggest the use of asperigus staged 2.5m(or 3.75m or 5.0m) craft with massivly powerful engines, or huge clusters of rockets. Its heavy and hard to move, but not impossible.

Currently I have a pulsating lag issue though...it hits every twenty seconds and when the physics stutters it breaks my large rockets! :/ After THAT is fixedI'll get that beast of a base for a mobile base to the moon...haha.

try, if you can go lower, turning the physics delta time down to 0.03 seconds under the options menu on the main screen.(Less calculations per second. Results in less accurate orbits & burns, but it bumps up performance a bit.)

I haven't lifted them...yet. But my launch vehicle was lifting HUGE weights...unbeknownst to me! After having repeated last stage issues while trying to circularize I put on Engineer Redux and found my top stage was 100 metric tons :D

So with the Mole Track being only 30 tons, I'm sure I can lift it and anything I'd want to set on top of it...as a matter of fact I'm going to test it right meow!

Here's some screens of my set up and it in a 120km orbit nearly a full fuel tank to get it where you want:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3390383650758749007/1EC9CBD69783541BDD2F390C359D4F9DB7291CB6/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3390383650758749007/1EC9CBD69783541BDD2F390C359D4F9DB7291CB6/

While just using asparagus staging, like Galacticruler stated, works and is part of my setup, I've learned it's not the whole answer. You also should take into account efficiency of the engines and terminal velocity. The LOLZ ASPARAGUZ AND MAINSAILZ! that most people use isn't the most efficient way, but it does work. I prefer less weight and less parts (due to the physics stutter I noted above!). In this example I ignite all the engines but the nukes. I run at 2/3 throttle until I kick off the first stage which includes the burned out boosters and the first pair of Skipper engines. Then I increase throttle a bit to stay right around terminal velocity. Each stage I dump comes with a slight increase in throttle. At the third stage, where I've dumped all the skippers and Im using just the mainsails I'm right at 10k and I make the gravity turn. Continue on as usual. The ONE issue I have with this particular setup is that once in awhile one of the mainsail stages will hit the nuke engines on the way out...I'm too lazy to rebuild it to get the seperatrons in the right places to avoid that :D

TL;DR: Asparagus. Biggest doesn't always mean best. Don't go past terminal velocity in your assent.

Ok after testing I'm finding 1.5m/s second painfully slow and not powerful enough to get up crater walls...I'm putting in your tweaks to give them a shot...will stick to general instead of rover driving as you suggested ;)

Ok after testing I'm finding 1.5m/s second painfully slow and not powerful enough to get up crater walls...I'm putting in your tweaks to give them a shot...will stick to general instead of rover driving as you suggested ;)

yeah if you gradualy put the throttle upyou'll go fast but since the tracks act like two wheels on either side of your craft if the middle (of middle of the tracks) goes off the terrain you'll lose control. and also if you go too fast you'll shoot over a crater mouth or even worse ramp offone and hit the wall on the other side.

(to counter this i suggest rcs ports to push you down onto the ground [but this wastes RCS like a hooker on crack!!!] or just ease up the throtle and when your near enough the crater edge slow down.)

or you could be like jeb and just plow on ahead and get a low mun orbit (i did it with small SRBs)

ok this is pissing me off now. my fix works but if i try making a half track with the mark 3 the suspension gets in the way and turns it to the right or left!

and judging by the lack of flipping help from the person who picked the mod up i'm thinking if i'm going get a fix anytime soon it'll be from my own coding or buggering about on the config...

to be honest i gave up hope on this when the guy who made this thread said someone else was going to work on it and not the thread maker himself. but that's just my paranoia.:mad:

sorry for double posting

• 2 weeks later...
ok this is pissing me off now. my fix works but if i try making a half track with the mark 3 the suspension gets in the way and turns it to the right or left!

and judging by the lack of flipping help from the person who picked the mod up i'm thinking if i'm going get a fix anytime soon it'll be from my own coding or buggering about on the config...

to be honest i gave up hope on this when the guy who made this thread said someone else was going to work on it and not the thread maker himself. but that's just my paranoia.:mad:

sorry for double posting

I didn't have to start supporting this you know....its even consumed my thread.

Anyway, I am slightly confused by what you mean with the suspension.

I'd have taken over plugin management for the tracks if Endless would've let me, and if I could code.

I didn't have to start supporting this you know....its even consumed my thread.

Anyway, I am slightly confused by what you mean with the suspension.

I'd have taken over plugin management for the tracks if Endless would've let me, and if I could code.

grrrr.

what i mean is i copy over the two folders (the original track mod and also your fixes) but whenever i launch anything with treads on it it veers to the right.

grrrr.

what i mean is i copy over the two folders (the original track mod and also your fixes) but whenever i launch anything with treads on it it veers to the right.

....you shouldn't need the original tracks mod....my fixes include the plugin and all needed files...that might be it.

oh so i've been...

wait...

oh...

well don't i feel like an ass now :/

nope i install your mod and the i try my half track design again and it vears to the left a ever so slowly. when i crank up the speed it goes left faster...

i think it's the suspension but i'm not sure

only semas to happen with the tiny and small tracks. not the oval meduim or the large tracks.

I have to say that I'm glad this has been picked up. I installed this back in 0.20 and built a mammoth Kethane rig. It was so huge, it was screwing up MJs decents. Was rather epic. :] Needless to say, I'm going to have to say I have to PASS on installing this particular mod, because even though these things are freak'n awesome, I don't want to start building mammoth tanks as launching them is just crazy. :]

Oh who the hell am I kidding... *bookmarks page*

I am welcome to any ideas, and I am currently looking for a new modeler, skinner and a Unity rigger.

I've never done skinning, but I'm good at the whole art/texture thing, if someone could introduce me to it...

And what does a Unity Rigger do?

Edited by Zuni