[0.23.5]General Propulsionâ„¢ SOLD

Galacticruler

Bump

I need some help calculating densities.

currently I think these resources weigh more than lead, could someone verify this?

I am horrible with math.

Also, if you could be kind enough to calculate what the density of an element that is the product of blasting basically plutonium with protons until it is highly unstable and decays incredibly fast?

Sorry if the forums lacks a nuclear chemist.

Nevermind, found an online calculator and did it my self.

Edited by Galacticruler

Well, Stragnelium currently weights 500g/cm³, or 500000kg/m³ which is uh, heavy. It's actually about 10 times denser that Kerbin at 58484kg/m³, and that's already three times denser than uranium, lol.

And do you mean the result of the fission of plutonium?

Edited by stupid_chris

Well, Stragnelium currently weights 500g/cm³, or 500000kg/m³ which is uh, heavy. It's actually about 10 times denser that Kerbin at 58484kg/m³, and that's already three times denser than uranium, lol.

And do you mean the result of the fission of plutonium?

Fusion, fission would result in lower density, correct?

anyway, how much would it weigh at KSP units: 0.0202?

Yep, fission would result in lower density, but fusion would require an insane amount of energy to start, but would then start giving out an even more insane amount of energy once it would be started. You basically have a mini sun on board.

Anyway, 0.0202 of density would give 20,2g/cm³, and plutonium 239 has a density of 19,8g/cm³, so that makes it slightly denser, I guess this is what you want?

Yep, fission would result in lower density, but fusion would require an insane amount of energy to start, but would then start giving out an even more insane amount of energy once it would be started. You basically have a mini sun on board.

Anyway, 0.0202 of density would give 20,2g/cm³, and plutonium 239 has a density of 19,8g/cm³, so that makes it slightly denser, I guess this is what you want?

Yes.

And the fusion I think will require an entire omega battery to start, but have it make insane amounts of electricity, like 450/sec as a by-product.

I was going to install this, but what is the fuel used for Impulse Engines? I assume one of the resources added to the game by this mod because of the big nuclear thingy which I have forgotten the exact name for on the side of it. But the images on the OP kind of make me think it might just be powered solely by electricity(one of the batteries text implies in my interpretation). In a way, that's actually a cool and possibly useful new engine. But again, that's not a very easy to explain and not rely too much on green rocks.

I mean, even one of the basically just electricity powered engines I have installed has a good explanation using science which I can relate to reality, and it's doing weird things with hydrogen gathered either from atmosphere or space and using it more or less instead of xenon.

Heck, even the solar sails I have installed isn't totally green rocks. The photon tanks and solar engines which use the stored photons instead of xenon are pretty much pure green rocks, but I can forgive it because of both the need for them and the fact that it brought up the staff janitor being the smartest guy at K.S.L. which is always a win in my books.

But then again, I actually can't think of a ion drive or similar system which doesn't require either part replacement after a kind of short time or some sort of extra punch for the ion plasma thrust to work. Except for ones in some space based games which more or less ignore the fact that we don't have technology needed to build the stuff they're using for these engines. Usually just a bussard ram jets or systems which work similarly in those games, though.

Anyway, /rant, and will be trying this out. Hope to have some good results afterwards to share(or at least feedback which isn't mostly reasons why I don't like some things).

Getting game crashing errors typically means I can't do much testing, sadly. Cause is being tracked down. In the mean time, what fuel source do I need to use a Impulse engine? Getting the game to play nice with this old computer and my insane modded setup is not always easy.

Long story short, I haven't even launched a single thing in my new build and have mostly been planning and trying to find specific parts in my giant list of mods. Finding the crash isn't hard thankfully because I know how to quickly strip down my list now.

Also had made a mistake on the install and have to fix some file pathing, and I'm trying to figure out a specific mod and how to install it correctly, and the list goes on.

Basically using this mod and it's parts is currently on my list of "do this" but I have to first get at least three mods all working correctly now, including this one.

Thinking up a interesting GPS probe which does my needed "essentials" but is cost effective is rather hard.

1. It is not easy to have an orginal idea, just look at Puffin Technologies' Frameshift Drive. (this is made harder by lacking someone who understands unity and can texture.)

2. The new resource is there so I can control the density without altering stock values, and do note they are NOT final.

3. I must refer you to OrbitusII for that negitive feedback.

I'm unsure what you mean as I dumped the KW tanks 2 versions ago...

1. the frameshift drives are super bad as well, they look stupid, they need annoying converters, and they are OP.

and your ideas are not original, I see bigger solar panels via CFG edits in other mods as well.

2. make it infinite, like the stock RTGs

3. there will always be negative feed backs because you're not perfect. And I don't like sugar coating it like other people.

Edited by 1096bimu

1. the frameshift drives are super bad as well, they look stupid, they need annoying converters, and they are OP.

and your ideas are not original, I see bigger solar panels via CFG edits in other mods as well.

2. make it infinite, like the stock RTGs

3. there will always be negative feed backs because you're not perfect. And I don't like sugar coating it like other people.

Lol i have only one response to the last part of your number 3 comment....... NO S___ ??? (U fill in the blanks) :confused:

I'm seeing there's two new resources, CO2 and compressed CO2, but there are no tanks to hold it. Furthermore it is require to make the blutonium --> electricity generator work. So yeah we can't make it work without proper access to the resource :l

Oki so here's some feedback. ;)

I generally like the mod, it is a scifi impulse drive so it should be overpowered. The ISP I think is perfectly balanced, it's not ridiculous. Smallest setup I built was 9000 deltaV, largest tanks gave 90.000 deltaV. So that's good although the largest number might be a bit on the large side. It'd mean a large vessel could visit all the planets in one go without refueling. But since this thing works with kethane I'd suggest aiming for 30 thousand deltaV Which is overpowered but this IS an impulse engine, it is meant to do that.

I'd tune down the trust on the engines if I were you though. I had 30 twr on the smallest ship which was ridiculously overpowered, I think a twr between 7 and 10 should be sufficiently overpowered. And this is the smallest engine!

I suggest:

Reduce the thrust on the smallest engines to 300 or something. The largest engine doesn't need to be stronger than 2000. This way they are immensely economic engines for your craft which can backup your normal space program.

I think the coolness in your mod lies in the very small very powerfull craft. I've played KSP since .14 I put hundreds of hours into it. I'm getting a little bored with it. I like the charm of an easier craft that can get me places quickly so I don't have to spend hours doing it.

Your tanks are all relatively large. Diameter is good, but why not make them a quarter of their length keeping the same weight? I'd also suggest flattening the engines a bit. You know how in the old star trek the nacelles are effectively just glowing half spheres attached to a tube? If you consider the tank the tube and fancy up the half sphere you'd end up with something nice that can be put into many designs. Many engines in KSP are too tall. I love the flat engines.

I noticed you need to attach fuel lines. I'm not too sure about that. I can see where it has it's charm. But I'm just not sure.

Edited by willow

Well, I thank you for the feedback.

only a few things I have to respond with:

1. I cannot shorten the fuel tanks/impulse drives, as that would require new models, textures and unity work, most of which I lack any understanding of how to do.

2. I do agree that 90k ÃŽâ€V is a little over powered, next release should see the engines nerfed extremely.

3. I had not known the fuel lines thing, please elaborate.

EDIT:

Chris, the reactor contains 1 unit of Compressed CO2, and has room for one unit of CO2, it also has a passive generator that uses tiny amounts of electricity and CO2 and produces and equally tiny amount of Compressed CO2.

the idea for it was a coolent system, as heat generation was more difficult on something that was not an engine.

Edited by Galacticruler

EDIT:

Chris, the reactor contains 1 unit of Compressed CO2, and has room for one unit of CO2, it also has a passive generator that uses tiny amounts of electricity and CO2 and produces and equally tiny amount of Compressed CO2.

the idea for it was a coolent system, as heat generation was more difficult on something that was not an engine.

Oh I see, makes sense, missed it I guess. I was also gonna propose changing something with the engines, I was playing around and I could deliver 60km/s of delta V in one minute .-.

Oh I see, makes sense, missed it I guess. I was also gonna propose changing something with the engines, I was playing around and I could deliver 60km/s of delta V in one minute .-.

Yeah, that will be changing, don't worry.

Also it is funny you posted at 13:37...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh by the way, something I forgot after making your request: I don't know to me, but having the impulse drives functioning through electricity+stragnelium made much more sense. The blutonium-->stragnelium generator becomes useless the way it currently works. And those ultra large panels make less sense unless you actually need a large amount of electricity for something on the ship... like an impulse drive.