[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

5 meter? gosh that would be big lol.

IDK about science. anything weird is sort of meh for me currently. The think I just got done making is highly organic. some nice plumbing would be a nice change maybe.

I might consider 2.5m stuff though. Which would involve RD-180 and 170 possible.

as for compatibility. yeah that is done just need to release it.

It would probably be much more useful if those changes were linked in the first post.

You know, to avoid having to mention the same dang thing every 5 pages or so.

He can't do that. The first post was by Normak who started the Kosmos programme, and we can't edit other peoples' posts!

NoMrBond, can I suggest you start your own Kosmos thread and link to this one for old info? That way you can put all the links up top and keep it up-to-date. Much easier!

Besides, at 1,105 posts long the old thread is far too unwieldy to search for info in.

I'd really like to see the return of your old Angara pack, specifically the lower stages, RD-191, RD-180 and RD-170. Another thing to consider would be RD-0124 and the associated second stage. After that... maybe 5m Energia parts and RD-0120.

Or maybe go towards another much loved thing from your pack, the UR-700. :) Here's a good image:

http://andegraf.com/rockets/rus_never.htm

I'd build the hypergolic one. The first two stages would use a new engine, RD-270, and new tanks. The 3rd stage was much like the Proton, with RD-275 engines you already made. On top of that, it'd have a cluster of 2.5m engines topped with a VA-based LK lander.

I can add the solar panel (and any other fixes) to that techTree module manager file

I should probably just put a link to that in my signature

[EDIT] Added the links to sig

NoMrBond - Thank you for the fast reply and GeoPhizzix I was just being sarcastic. I do appreciate the effort to help people get this excellent mod working with new releases of KSP.

However, with over 1100 posts, it's taking too much effort to find information not just for the nubs like me trying to figure out how to get the mod working but for the good people like noMrBond and yourself to have to answer the same question repeatedly.

It might be a good plan to start a new thread and then keep all the update information in the first post with links back to this thread?

B9 has a 0.23 patch thread. No reason not to make a KOSMOS patch thread. Choice of where to place science in the tree will of course differ between people, but a cfg should help there so it's easy to change. Put it in the request subforum.

Edited by BigD145

I am now having a problem with all the URM-xxx tanks. When I hover the mouse over the item in the catalogue in the VAB it image just expands until it fills my screen and then the icon goes away and the spot is blank and I cannot pick the part. It is 100% repeatable. I have tried reinstalling and redownloading. alt-f2 says

[Exception] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range. Parameter name index

and that happens when I hover over any of the URM parts in the VAB. It's just the URM parts I went through every other tab and I can pick parts just fine.

I just reconfirmed on my system at least all the URM tanks are misbehaving. I cannot select any of them in the VAB. As soon as the mouse hits them the image zooms out to fill my screen and the selection box goes blank. I can move the mouse off the icon and it stops expanding so I will grab a snap shot.

I am running KSP 0.23.5 career

I added N0MrBonds tree.cfg file and it seems to have added all the tech

I also modified the balka 2 panel part config and that seems to be working

All other parts are can be selected and work fine

I have a long list of addons here are the majority ...

kw

keramzit

aies

shdi

americanpack

activecompression

mechjeb

simplepartmanager

partcatelog

firespitter

jsi

kerbalreinforcement

quantumstrut

kethane

navyfish

environmentalenhancement

ferramaerospace

kspx

aviationlights

toolbar

modulemanager

warpplugin

realchute

scansat

universaldockingports

and a couple others that are support for the main mods. All are updated to the latest versions. Ithe most likely mods to conflict would seem to me to be partscatalog or simplepartmanager; however there is no problem with any other KOSMOS part other then the URM tanks. Just to check though removed both and still have the same problem.

as soon as I mouse over the image grows....

Ux6OreP.jpg

and if I keep the mouse over the image it grows until it fiils the screen. Also note the image in the description box is gone. It's like it expands out from the image in the selection box.

CpKpPtL.jpg

Edited by ctbram

(Merged 3 different replies so the forum mods don't have to.)

He can't do that. The first post was by Normak who started the Kosmos programme, and we can't edit other peoples' posts!

... Well, hopefully that's my mistake of the day out of the way.

I am now having a problem with all the URM-xxx tanks. When I hover the mouse over the item in the catalogue in the VAB it image just expands until it fills my screen and then the icon goes away and the spot is blank and I cannot pick the part. It is 100% repeatable. I have tried reinstalling and redownloading.

As soon as I mouse over the image grows....

I think that's usually caused by a part having more than 3 different RESOURCE{} segments in its config file, without anything else. Adding a "do-nothing" module to the config usually solves it, IIRC

Hey guys something I have been working on is drawing to a close. for now. So just curious as to what people would like to see with Kosmos now?

I've got a few ideas, if you're asking for stuff beyond the general "compatibility fixes, adding the parts to the Career tech tree, fix the solar panels" and other "maintenance" type tasks.

First idea:

This might help you with that NTR engine you posted pictures of a few posts ago. It looks great, by the way, and I'm already thinking of a few ships that would use it.

If you want, you could probably turn it into a bi-modal Lox-Augmented NTR (LANTR) without any plugin coding. The RAIPIER engine can switch modes, try using its config as a starting point.

NTR mode would only burn LiquidFuel, TWR and ISP similar to other NTR designs. (gotta have a reason to use it over the LV-N, so ~1200s vac ISP?)

LANTR mode burns Oxidizer and LiquidFuel to get a better TWR (higher max thrust), but at a lower ISP (~550-600s vac ISP, worse than LV-N but still better than LFO rocket engines)

But even if it ends up working the same way the stock LV-N, I'll still use it.

Second idea:

330px-Russian_stationary_plasma_thrusters.jpg

How about an ion engine? Designed and built in Russia, of course. Yes, I'm serious

The engines in the image are from the Russian SPT series of Hall-Effect thrusters.

Here's 3 reasons why I think they would make a good addition to the KOSMOS pack:

• These thrusters have been used in space since 1971 by over 125 satellites and space probes, more than can be said for most of the ion engines in KSP.
  • I have yet to see an ion engine in KSP with a square or rectangular frame. Round ion engines look fine on tiny probes, but they just look out of place when used on a satellite. I also haven't seen an ion engine that includes the ion neutralization electron emitters (the metallic cylinders at the top of each thruster). Without those, the satellite builds up a charge which can damage the onboard electronics.
  • Ion engines use lots of power, so we would finally have a reason other than "it looks good" to use the huge ISS style panels present in the pack itself, instead of only using them to power the big power-hogs from other mods.

Mir-specific ideas

• "Travers" SAR dish antenna from the Priroda Mir module (could work with Scansat, won't cause issues if it's not installed)
  • antennas and targets for Kurs automated docking system (visual docking aid, "control from here"/"target this 'X'" type thing, maybe mechjeb?)
  • Strela cranes, other equipment used while on EVA (strela "crane" was mostly for moving people on EVA, an extremely long telescopic ladder would work fine for this without needing plugins)

Other random ideas, might belong in KOSMOS, might go in to too much detail, might just not belong in KOSMOS:

• Energia booster - IIRC a lot of the engines are already done, but tanks that look the part are needed.
  • US-A aka RORSAT - 1967-1988 series of Russian active radar satellites in low orbit, powered by nuclear reactor to avoid orbital decay due to aerodynamic drag from solar panels.
  • Communications antennas of various types, stationary or animated. Sure some of them have been done before, but here's a few types I have't seen yet: Helical, Yagi, Log-periodic, etc. (use: science transmission (stock modules) / RT2 antenna (?).)

I think that's usually caused by a part having more than 3 different RESOURCE{} segments in its config file, without anything else. Adding a "do-nothing" module to the config usually solves it, IIRC

That fix is already in the dev branch so it should come through in the next release (although I was honestly expecting a game level fix to come in)

yep NTR was modeled as a LANTR from the start :) it is not russian in anyway really. though really the newer NTRs are more based off the Russian direct flow than the NERVA. but the new designs are the best IMO.

as for any space base stuff.. i am not really sure. Probe parts and stuff would be fun but.... it would be time consuming I think. but i could see giving it a go. or i could make the next step in URM cores. which might be advantagious.

That fix is already in the dev branch so it should come through in the next release (although I was honestly expecting a game level fix to come in)

I have no ieda how to add a do-nothing module so I am assumming you are telling me you are awhere of the problem and there is a fix coming?

So a few paths Kosmos can take after the NTR is done.

More use of tech tree utilization: not like the next patch will allow, instead a series of engines and each unlock in tech gives a new engine in part that corresponds to that tech unlock and it would the engine. For example you start with a crappy engine. imagine a sort of barbaic NK-33. next teech unlocks gimbles so you get a new varient of that engine. Next unlock does something to nozzle and you get new nozzles and thus each component does somethign for said engine. basically showing the engine evolution.

More URM and engines: Just URM 25 and URM 3 and RD-17X, 8x, and 9x engines.

first stage of N-1: others to follow.

more SSPP stuff: but these seems rather useless. as station parts serve no purpose.

probe parts: these would just be little tiny nothings and probably not very module nor serve much purpose and be highly redundant.

Now that I think of it, I'd really like the SSPP pack to be expanded, perhaps to it's pre-remake size. You had some really great MIR and Almaz parts, they'd complement Salyut stuff quite well.

I have no idea how to add a do-nothing module, so I am assuming you are telling me you are aware of the problem and there is a fix coming?

Yes and yes.

Unfortunately my install of KSP asploded last night and I ending up spending all my free time fixing that and not being able to check everything or add anything

Hopefully tonight

With whatever HLLV I have on tap. Maybe an N11 clone? Stretchy/PP has it covered.

Stretchy/PP?

I really like engines and such though :/

currently the only issue with SSPP is I would want to scale down their size a bit so the biggest peices are 3m instead of 3.75 lo.

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

Stretchy/PP?

I really like engines and such though :/

currently the only issue with SSPP is I would want to scale down their size a bit so the biggest peices are 3m instead of 3.75 lo.

Stretchy Tanks and its replacement Procedural Parts

As I like the engines you currently have, I cant see you doing more engine as a bad thing. So, SSPP with cool engines on them it is!!! :P j/k

So a few paths Kosmos can take after the NTR is done.

More use of tech tree utilization: not like the next patch will allow, instead a series of engines and each unlock in tech gives a new engine in part that corresponds to that tech unlock and it would the engine. For example you start with a crappy engine. imagine a sort of barbaic NK-33. next teech unlocks gimbles so you get a new varient of that engine. Next unlock does something to nozzle and you get new nozzles and thus each component does somethign for said engine. basically showing the engine evolution.

That would mean a hard dependency on... was it RealFuels? As long as it can be used without altering the stock engines, I think this sounds promising.

More URM and engines: Just URM 25 and URM 3 and RD-17X, 8x, and 9x engines.

Not really necessary IMO. We already have a lot of rocketry packs... although an RD-170 replica would be quite nice :P

first stage of N-1: others to follow.

Ahhh, the N-1. I know that Lack is working on one, but it will most likely end up very differently from one of your creation. I'm quite split on this one. If you were to make an N1, it would only be the superbooster, and not the lunar complex, right?

more SSPP stuff: but these seems rather useless. as station parts serve no purpose.

Count me in on this one. Rescaling them to be 3m instead of 3.75m would probably be a good idea. Currently, your parts are bigger than their real-life equivalents. Remember, as long as you include adapters to the stock sizes (at least 1.25m and 2.5m), you can make the parts any intermediate size that you want.

probe parts: these would just be little tiny nothings and probably not very module nor serve much purpose and be highly redundant.

I'm not really interested in this.

EDIT: Something tells me that you really want to make rockets. If you want to make rockets, go make rockets. I'll be happy either way.