[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

:facepalm: How did I forget about that?

I fixed that issue on my computer, but I seem to have forgotten to report it afterwards. Might have been a better idea to do those two things in the opposite order, that way I don't forget that the bug existed in the first place!

Sorry if i sound a little mean but, I dont really care about the single gimbal ability.

All i want is the Updated Angara.

If ksp releases single axis gimbal at like 0.25 which is like a long time then ull start work. -_-

I know that no one cares about the gimbal. But I do. If i did the angara and then they released the gimbals.. i would need to do it all over again twice :/ and the current angara stuff is so outdated. '

For example they still take after the old style of kosmos stuff more than the new stuff. you certainly wouldn't like to combine parts form the two different eras.

VACapsuleEvolution.png

Sorry if i sound a little mean but, I dont really care about the single gimbal ability.

All i want is the Updated Angara.

If ksp releases single axis gimbal at like 0.25 which is like a long time then ull start work. -_-

I agree with you. What about release it and once this feature is available update it ?

Thanks for reminding me, cBBp! I've been wanting to try my hand at building a working version of the LK-700 lander using your Kosmos parts. Time for me to get busy on it!

Could you please fix the APAS-69 docking ports so that they work like normal docking ports? Lazor System doesn't have a docking camera with it, although it does with all other unsupported docking port, and Mechjeb 2 says it's not a port. I really love them, and the guide fins are absolutely amazing. But I have a space station core up that I can't seem to dock to, with or without mods.

Whoa, just updated this mod from the old one, it's been a while. Absolutely LOVE those truss parts. Beautiful work as always CBBP.

As far as requests, I really don't think there's anything else I could possibly ask for out of this entire pack, as it pretty much has all the bases covered (no pun intended). The only thing I still want is IVA's and hatches for EVA on the other modules, but I understand you can't devote every waking second to fulfilling my every desire.

Though, I know you can DO IVA's, because the IVA on the VA pod is absolutely stunning, and I may actually start to use it more than the stock 3-man pod, so very good work with that.

All in all, one of the (few) mods I would install in KSP 1.0. (Anything pre-1.0 I'm basically considering a "mod test" to see what I want to be in my final game. I don't plan on changing much once that happens.)

And here's another vote for updating the Angara tanks and engines!

@Synthesis: you are correct about the tanks being somewhat straightforward to update, I managed to update the 2.5m X 9m and 2.5m x 18m tanks myself by simply editing the respective part.cfg files. Unfortunately for those who used to rely on the Angara pack for heavy-lift launcher hardware, you are also correct about the engines being harder to update.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I've got K&W in the meantime, but I do miss the Angara tanks and engines.

If i did the angara and then they released the gimbals.. i would need to do it all over again twice :/

I'm no coder or 3d modeler, but I'm not convinced that you would need to "do it all over again twice" even if they DID release single-axis gimballing a day after you released the updated Angara pack.

Here's why:

Single-axis gimballing would logically be a special case of gimballing, right? That would mean changes would be limited to the gimballing part module, and the engine part module would not need to be changed. Since they both use the same thrust vector transform, and since the engine part module remains unchanged, the engine's 3d model would not need any update to support single-axis gimballing. This means that updating the engine to support single-axis-capable gimballing would require, at most, editing the part.cfg for it.

Regarding the "old style vs new style" issue, who said that you have to keep the "old style" textures on the updated parts? KSP allows you to supply textures in .png format now, so you could work on the "new style" textures after you get the parts working with the current textures.

I can understand you not wanting to release sub-par content, but the Angara parts are of such high-quality that parts that are of slightly lower quality than them are still VERY high-quality parts!

I think popular opinion is best summed up as "We want functional Angara parts, even if they might not look or work exactly as the author intends them to."

I cant seem to get the APAS-69 Ports to function with Romfarer's Lazor Docking cam, the config shows that it should work with is and the camera comes up on my other docking ports. if it works it would make getting the rotation of the ports a piece of cake for capture

Hey folks, I love the solar panels in this pack (a testament to this, I spent 20 launches just to get a space station core with the Balka solar wings up into orbit). I've just got two problems with the animations on the Balka Solar Wings block (I've only tried the double, so I don't know if this persists on the single version, too):

1. The animations have to be triggered one at a time, if I make an action group to 'Toggle Arrays' for all three (left, right and rotation), the arrays rotate, the axises spin but the wings never open or expand. I have to toggle them one by one, and wait for the animation to finish, to get them to open. Kind of tedious, but I honestly don't mind, as the animations are beautiful. It'd just be nice to see it all happen at once.

2. Every time I reload my station in orbit, the solar wings appear to have reverted to their retracted state, but the right-click menu indicates that they're expanded. Seems like the state isn't sticking somehow between sessions.

Otherwise, love these panels. I'm playing with the Salyut panels right now for another station module, and I love the look and the animations. They look so much better than the stock panels for space station modules or large spacecraft.

It's a problem in the game engine. It can only support one animation at a time for a single part. There's nothing cBBp can do for now untill the dev changes it.

It's a problem in the game engine. It can only support one animation at a time for a single part. There's nothing cBBp can do for now untill the dev changes it.

Okay, fair enough.

My biggest problem is number 2, that the game doesn't seem to display the panels as extended when they are upon load.

It's the same problem. As the game can't handle the 2 animations, it skips the whole thing when you reload., even if the panels work perfectly fine. It's just a cosmetic problem and, once again, there's nothing more we can do except reextend the panels everytime we load the game.

Quite honestly, I'd rather CBBP work on the N1 instead of updating old packs... But that's just me.

I completely agree, and want to see it with parts for the manned mars flyby they were planning. Also the RD 0440 needs a huge buff, right now it's just a better looking LV-N with even less convenient size and more dead weight, it should be made more on par with the novapunch or MPSS nuclear engines

Also, i can't make the apas 69 dock with a stock docking port

Edited by bs1110101

Quite honestly, I'd rather CBBP work on the N1 instead of updating old packs... But that's just me.

N1 parts would probably be too large to fit in the VAB. Squad needs to remove the vertical height restrictions. But also, as far as I'm aware, CBBP isn't working on Kosmos right now, and is instead working on another side project. Apparently he lost a huge chunk of the development files for the project when he replaced his harddrive, and now a few of the old parts will need to be remade from the raw models because the existing (previously released) files are incompatible with the new KSP, specifically, a few of the old RD engines don't have their thrust vector packed into the unity file, and this can't be fixed unless with go all the way back. I don't have the technical know-how to remake the engine, so in the meantime I'll be updating the fuel tanks and other pieces of the old LK pack. If Cardboard gets around to remaking the RD-862 then we can release those parts and you guys will be able to land stations on other planets again.

Edited by Normak

N1 parts would probably be too large to fit in the VAB. Squad needs to remove the vertical height restrictions.

Wasn't there a plugin or something that did this?

Wasn't there a plugin or something that did this?

If there is, I guess we could bundle it in the pack, but I believe Cardboard is still weary of working on rocket parts.