[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

Those engines look sweet. But, for the samller ones, won't you please make the textures smaller than 1024*1024? It really doesn't make much sense on smaller parts (especially the VA! It takes up 20+ MB!), while I understand why you would want it for thhe bigger parts, like most of the station modules, and especially the solar wings :)

It's because the game shoehorns them into DDS images once they're loaded anyway, so you really want the best images going in to avoid lossy + lossy = superblurrycrap

Does make it a bit harder on downloading and HDD space I guess

I remember Artyom talking about matching the textures pixel density for wrapping the structures in his latest blog about the new space centre, not sure what kind of changes would be necessary for that

Hrm, that part should be commented out (or removed)

Do the linPower/rotPower/Ki/Kp/Kd lines in the part.cfg start with // ?

Oh jez, which version is in there LOL

That could be a bit of a laugh :P

Ive seen a few ctgs with the new stuff but Ive also seen a few with only module= SAS without the new lines. Sadly I couldnt tell you which ones for I have deleted most of the parts that I had from this pack except for a few of the engines and the balka trusses and panels :)

Im fond of KW for launchers and AIES for probe at the moment, but I will definitely investigate the new KOSMOS pack at some point! right now I'm shouldered up against the parts vs RAM issue probably due to a bunch of B9 stuff I don't use

but hot dog, b9 stuff is pretty

The old Angara pack isn't in circulation anymore because of numerous changes to the game engine as well as some technical issues on our end. Scale differences, changes in part requirements, and lost development files temporarily killed it. Cardboard and I are working to restore the engines and tanks from the last working version of Angara, and are going to outfit the pack with many more features to make it much larger and more elaborate. To give you an idea, we won't be calling it the Angara pack anymore, because it will contain not just the Angara parts, but parts from N1 and Rus-M as well, and possibly even Soyuz parts.

I'm very excited to hear that--I love Bobcat's Soyuz-U and Soyuz-TMA, but their memory consumption just crashes my system too much (I had to cut all the Mir and Buran parts just to get it working).

what is this for?

also this is so beautiful

Oh, I was going to make some basic surfaces and then wrap them at various texel/px densities with some test patterns, try and work something out regarding surface area to texture map dimension (and how they scale etc with mips etc)

Just wanted to see at what point models stop getting benefit from increasing texture size, bit of a fill in the blanks exercise for me since I don't really have any experience with that side of the modelling/modding process

Was hoping that more info would help me make better suggestions and/or understand problems I'm currently oblivious about

Yeah, I thought they could mean 64x64 texture per m2 surface area of the model, but that didn't sound quite right so I wanted to test it for myself since a part is going to be pretty different from something like the VAB/SPH

Work out some surface areas, make some basic shapes & textures, see what they actually look like (if I can even get them into the game anyway)

Hell yeah! I can launch the VA in remote (no kerbals) mode :D

edit: also N-1 had a name. it was like nistoel or something like that. i saw it once a loooong time ago. Maybe when history channel actually had history on it... if someone can find the name please gimme :)

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

edit: also N-1 had a name. it was like nistoel or something like that. i saw it once a loooong time ago. Maybe when history channel actually had history on it... if someone can find the name please gimme :)

It wasn't a name. "N" in N-1 stood for "nositel" (ýþÑÂøтõûь), which is Russian for "carrier" (as in, "carrier rocket", рðúõтð-ýþÑÂøтõûь). Nositel-1, Carrier-1.

Edited by Guest

I'm curious as to the purpose and proper function of the lockdown part. How is it properly used? I want to use the VA as an escape system for an existing space station but I discovered that the lockdown does not work like a docking port. (Or maybe it does when it's built into the station before launch, it's too late to know).

Could someone please give me more information on what it's meant to do and the way in which it should be used? At the moment, it's not much more than a fancy decoupler until I know more. Thank you.

VA lockdown is just a fancy decoupler for the VA, nothing more.

Thank you. So, if I want to use these as escape pods, I'd need to either build them into the design, or replace the lockdown with a docking port, then?

Is it possible to replace a capsule into the lockdown once it's decoupled?

Thank you. So, if I want to use these as escape pods, I'd need to either build them into the design, or replace the lockdown with a docking port, then?

Is it possible to replace a capsule into the lockdown once it's decoupled?

I had though about making it possible. But that is not how the Va works for real. plus it would look weird docking Lock downs to lock downs.

I'll be coming up with a Soyuz-style launcher for you guys. . . using a bit o' mods though to fit more nicely with the ultra-clean 210s. But for now. . . I gotta sleep. My mom's gonna kill me if she hears a rocket launch. ;.;

I'll be coming up with a Soyuz-style launcher for you guys. . . using a bit o' mods though to fit more nicely with the ultra-clean 210s. But for now. . . I gotta sleep. My mom's gonna kill me if she hears a rocket launch. ;.;

RD-210 is getting changed a bit and renamed soon-ish

I wish I was a Kerbal so I could stare at those monopropellent tanks, scream WHY and drop dead on the spot.

(This overwhelms me.)

not sure I understand. is this good or bad?