A bit of confusion that I could find and answer to...

GeneralHavan

So...

I had recently bought KSP on Steam. I thought that buying it on Steam would make me eligible to receive the future expansions, if they come out, for free. However, due to doubts I had about the system, I need to ask you guys.

Also, I had to recreate my account. This will count as my "Hello!" thread as well I suppose.

Edit: Wow. Butchered the title. Whoops!

Edited by GeneralHavan

Yes. At least that is what I believe I read.

The quote (Unless I've forgotten my first language) that states that customers are promised the expansions for free: "So given that this was a point of confusion, and that we believe that no matter what, a promise is a promise, we are including Expansions in what you can expect to get for free if you have already bought the game. Also, for those considering purchasing the game, we will maintain this promise for all purchases made until the end of this month (April, 2013)."

Yeah, sounds like that would be the case, but it'd still be nice to have official confirmation/clarification on it. I really like this "a promise is a promise" attitude, so I'd like to throw some more money at Squad by buying it on Steam in addition to the Store-bought version. But it'd have to really be the same, I don't want to have to keep throwing more and more money at it to keep it in sync with the Store version I already own.

I suppose I'm really just confused of as to how they're going to do it. How could they tell that I've bought the game? Maybe a little system of entering your game key from Steam and gaining access to a list of downloads. But, I'm not Squad so I can't tell.

The initial confusion was due to people taking Squad's initial generalized statement of all future *updates* being free to actually mean ALL future *content* would be free. I believe initially, they meant that all *patches* to KSP would be free. Meaning as they added features and content to the core game, people who had purchased KSP would get said updates free of charge until the core game was completely finished.

I personally didn't expect this statement to cover expansion content created *AFTER* KSP was finished, but a lot of people did apparently, plus people misinterpreted Harvester's thinking out loud to mean future patches to the core KSP would be paid DLC as well.. which didn't help matters.

So to smooth things over, the devs have stated that everyone who has bought KSP before the end of april, will get all future expansions for free as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.