Compilation of modding information links for 0.19/20/21/22/23 - Last update 24th Jan

hoojiwana

Excellent thread hooj. Well done

One thing i think would be nice, would be for the community to share textures that fit the vanilla texturing. So thoughs that want their parts to fit vanilla can do so with the correct textures. I know some part creators like to be different and use their own but if everyone had access to vanilla looking textures then it would be beneficial. A request or texture section on the OP maybe for encouragment to share textures?

About plugins: the wiki is incredibly out of date, and many would benefit from being directed towards the Unity documentation directly when dealing with graphics stuff.

Learning about how to build a basic GUI basically came from the documentation on Unity's GUI stuff and what little programming knowledge/experience I have on dealing with user input.

I'll also be happy to answer any questions about basic GUI windowing stuff.

Edited by ummwut

• 4 weeks later...
Just wondering, but where do the empty gameobject's for the RCS thruster's go? Do I rename them? Should they be children of the RCS model?

Put them as a child of the actual thrust port mesh, have the green arrow pointing in the direction of the thrust, try and centre the game object where you want the thrust to start.

Also ensure your case is correct, ie 'RCSthruster' .. as below..

image.php?id=D566_51A861B1&jpg

Edited by Devo

I'd think it's unlikely to matter.

As to naming them, they can be anything as long as it's the same as the name in the config file (and it is case sensitive).

It doesn't actually matter if they are children or not, but if you are making multiple RCS thruster ports, and all your game objects are clones called RCSthruster, it helps to have them as children so

you can keep track of which ones are supposed to go where. As you can see in my picture, 12 ports can be harder to track them all so keeping them as children aids in the process.

Edited by Devo

Concerning animations, is it possible to link multiple animations to a single command or module action? Example, I have a lander leg with moving struts, and I have a second leg on the same model, I need it to work as well, is this possible? Or does each animated object need a separate generic animationmodule?

It seems the "Modding information page from before the forum wipe" download is broken, does anyone have a working link? That page was really useful.

I've reuploaded it, along with added a little bit about getting fairings to not show up in VAB thumbnails.

Since I've clearly not been maintaining the original post anywhere near as well as I used to, I would very much appreciate people sending me a PM about any snippets or information that is not current on the list that you think should be added. I must apologise that I let the thread get so out of date. Thankyou in advance to anyone who sends me anything to add.

Judging by looking at the configs for the three types of decouplers it should be pretty easy.

Radial decoupler:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
anchorName = anchor
ejectionForce = 250
explosiveNodeID = srf
}

Stack decoupler:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 250
explosiveNodeID = top
}

Stack seperator:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
isOmniDecoupler = true
ejectionForce = 250
}

If you're making a stack decoupler or separator, it looks like you just need to define it in the config and you're done. For the radials it seems you need to set up two seperate objects in Unity, the decoupler and the anchor. If you recall some small parts of the radial decouplers get left behind after seperation, I guess that's what the anchor is.

Hope you can get them working, seems pretty simple.

IIRC, the only difference between the stack and radial decouplers is whether the explosiveNodeID is the surface attach node or a stack node.

I'm pretty sure that ModuleAnchoredDecoupler could be used for either type of decoupler.

IIRC, the only difference between the stack and radial decouplers is whether the explosiveNodeID is the surface attach node or a stack node.

I'm pretty sure that ModuleAnchoredDecoupler could be used for either type of decoupler.

Your right, I'm using radial decoupler to make nose cone fairing. Just leave anchor name blanck.

The link on atmosphereCurve and velocityCurve is to a post asking about those two variables and in reply is instructed to check the sticky link. It has no useful information.

I've slightly tweaked that link to point to EndlessWaves post that describes what they both are. The intent of that link should be a bit clearer now.

As long as you define the FX for the engine, every thrustTransform you have should inherit the same FX. That's how I found it to be for my multiple-nozzle engines at least.

Ok so its based on the thrustTransform.

Ok one more problem To deal with, This:

The breakingForce = 1000000 and breakingTorque = 1000000 are very high on both the engine and the fuel tank, It seems to only happen with the First stage but after that its fine. Halp?

-Edit Fixed-

Edited by joedude69

Can anyone point me to how to use custom sounds with part tools 0.20. I get the drag and drop in unity but what about the config file? How would that go?

Hm, well I'm having the issue of trying to have a few fx_exhaustFlame defined in a part's cfg, but either only one is showing up or they're all stacked on the center, despite having different co-ordinates in the cfg. What am I doing wrong then? :huh: