Single-Stage Stuff [pic heavy]

as promised: http://www./?8br5e5fuz0e3fie

this version I can get to 72km circular orbit with 160l of liquid fuel remaining, which is enough to deorbit and control descent to avoid explosion related mission failure.

alas I have since cut funding to my ssto research department and thrown it instead to the solid booster department, as they were just too difficult to make work with mission controller mod on hard mode and deadly reentry looming over everything. But for a sub orbital hop and deployment of something small that can orbit itself they remain effective.

And if I could ever manage a landing at KSC I could use kerbal attachment system to refuel it on the ground and reload any payload and actually reuse one :)

• 1 month later...
I like these a lot as I am a fan of SSTO's. Personally I would use the other jet engines and try and go for maximum horizontal speed before engaging the rocket engine but obviously I haven't tried that with these specific ships.

You can go faster at lower altitudes with the basic Jet

The thing that is problematic with SSTOs with low intake number (1 to 2, maybe 3) is that when youre maxxed with jets, you need vertical veilocity so that rockets dont burn fuel against drag much...

IMIZ127.jpg

gallery:http://imgur.com/a/bH6nu

Basically 25t of cargo to orbit, with a few tons of fuel leftover. Good for a 72t launch mass?

Im using turbojets becouse they start at 110kn at start and build up to 225kn at high speeds. While jet engines start from 150kn and drop really fast. Basically I go to 1200ms surface speed with turbojets and then engage rockets while shutting down engines in pairs when Im running out of air...

Edited by Radam
images not showing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.