The Luft 46 Challenge.

FOR PROPELLERS, The Firespitter Pack is the only allowed mod pack in this challenge set, not required if you want to build a prop plane but it'll get you a extra point if you use it.

Named for one of my favorite sites on the web www.luft46.com this is a challenge dedicated to bringing to life in KSP some of the late-war German designs, the good old Wonder Weapons that never saw the light of day. Three aircraft which would've performed different roles are posted below, with their own mini-challenges. Though there is one overall goal; take off from the run way at Kerbin and head straight for the old runway, land there to your best ability. Relatively simple no? That's where the aircraft specific challenges come in, listed below. I encourage save uploading so other people can mess around and tweak but in the end it's totally down to you. A points table will be included at the bottom, craft that don't even look slightly like the artists illustration will not be counted.

Blohm & Voss BV P.178 jet dive bomber.

jh178-1.jpg

Challenges.

-This things a DIVE bomber, put that to use! Fly at a altitude of 10,000 and dive into your final descent on the runway.

-It's a BOMBER, in the VAB improvise and slap some makeshift explosives on there, fly with the added load.

-It's a JET, use that speed advantage, for this challenge once you reach 125 m/s you cannot drop below it until you are landing, no throttling up after dropping down.

Heinkel He 162 single seat fighter.

gh162-3.jpg

Challenges.

-You're flying a INTERCEPTOR, which means you must be as light as possible to keep speed up, less parts more points!

-MANEUVERABILITY is key in a dogfight, time how quickly your craft can make a course correction at high speeds.

-STOL is always helpful, see how little of an airfield you need to land and take off from and post it here, from when your wheels first leave the ground.

Horten Ho VI.

gm04-2.jpg

Challenges.

-Hell, we've got the wingspan! Convert this craft into a makeshift BOMBER, heavier payloads means more points.

-Hell, we've got the fuselage! Equip this craft to PARA-DROP some soldiers, add a spare crew capsule and man it.

-Hell, we've not got the fuel! Glide your final descent, once your engine is below ten percent it cannot be raised again and must be shut down.

Focker-Wulf 198 Fighter.

focke-wulf-fw-198-fighter-01.png

Challenges.

-This is a FIGHTER, which means you're gonna be pretty nimble. Make a harsh turn into your landing, cut it close.

-Show off! Fly the entire flight upside down until you need to land.

-Quick stowage. That tail is a real pain to remove, when landing, try and break it off and keep the main hull intact!

Messerschmitt "Libelle".

3bmlibel.jpg

Challenges to come!

Focke-Wulf TA283

3bfta283.jpg

Challenges to come!

Arado Ar TEW 16/43-15

3batew15.gif

Challenges to come!

Blohm & Voss BV P.111.

bvp-111.gif

Challenges.

-It's a float plane, land in the water beside the runway and survive.

-La Mer, keep it under 150 during your flight.

-Pesky U-Boats, load up some depth charges and dispense them during your flight.

Blohm & Voss BV P.188.04

gm188-4.jpg

Challenges to come.

Extra Challenges.

Cause you know, everyone loves them.

-The Soviets are coming! Supply lines have been cut and fuel is being rationed, move 50% of your crafts fuel into a nearby fuel vehicle.

-The Soviets AND The Americans are coming! Supplies from both lines are cut, move 75% of your fuel into a nearby fuel vehicle

-The Soviets, The Americans AND The British are coming! Supplies from all sides are cut, leave only 10% of your fuel in your craft and place the rest in fuel vehicles.

-Gear is for wimps! Make your gear a detachable stage, detach once you take off and land it!

-Night Crawlers! Fly the mission at night.

-No more cinematic shots! Fly only in IVA view.

Each challenge adds one more point onto your tally, the less or more parts called for will be compared to other entries. Screenshots are required of sitting on the tarmac, if fuel is being transferred menus are to be left open for the screenies. Use common sense as too when you'd need to screenshot, for example, entering your dive maybe a good place to snap one. Recording the entire flight would be grand also.

Good luck to you pilots!

Edited by John_Roxton

I happen to have a Spitfire in my hanger...

Spitfire

uVSQMfY.jpg

gKfBivh.jpg

iKYWNSi.jpg

The spitfire is really easy to fly and manuverable. I'm a big fan of ventage aircraft and this, by far, is one of my favorites.

And lets not forget the german stealth noone ever heard of, the Horten 229

o29bDd4h.jpg

2ZkGEJMh.jpg

This is Hitler's top secret stealth fighter. Hitler comissioned the Horton brothers to build this batwing stealth fighter to counter the royal air force, and amarican ability to, with radar, know when and where his planes where in the sky. It was made of wood and found in a secret air bunker in the woods, and though our only existing plane is rotting in pieces under lock and key, a previous build was flown successfully and even participating in a few dog fights where it excelled and was unmatched. Posibly explaining where many ufo sightings started. However, due to the unreliability of the engines being used, it was crashed into the woods, killing the only test pilot to ever fly one. My version here excells as well. Of all my planes it has the tightest turn radius at full throttle, matched only by my version of the Mustang (which I am not yet satisfied with).

F-22

YD5BM4wh.png

csONktQh.jpg

The F-22 was my first real plane. And my first real success. It was an "AH HAH" moment when I realized how I could make them both work, and look good. This plane is fast and and escape the atmosphere. It's easy to fly, easy to land, and you can't beat the first person view. :D

SR-71 Blackbird

Louqj3Rh.png

qZZCl1Ph.png

The Blackbird is my largest, and in my opinion best looking. I have long time been a fan of the blackbirds and I may be vane but this one tops all others in Kerbal so far. It's fast, with do well over mach3 around 15k off the ground, and can handle quite a large payload. I am currently tweaking this to make an around the globe trip.

B24 Bomber

HK0XYc5h.png

zEHoLW5h.png

Another favorite in my lilne of ventage aircraft. I think, like the blackbird, this plane turned out beautifully in shape and I had to pull a few tricks from my had to get it right. Flies great and is a successfull bomber. http://www.twitch.tv/jasonlii/b/397113062

And a "successful?" water landing!

LRLEjUBh.png

More to come.

Edited by Kerbies_are_my_Minions

would an focke wulf fw-198 work? never built, few sketches ever made.

i managed to make it in ksp, but not sure if it qualifies.

EDIT: one of the best aircrafts i made, and i'm really good at making aircrafts.

Edited by TripleStaff

would an focke wulf fw-198 work? never built, few sketches ever made.

i managed to make it in ksp, but not sure if it qualifies.

EDIT: one of the best aircrafts i made, and i'm really good at making aircrafts.

God how could I of missed that, going to add it to the OP, feel free to upload it

Here is a very bad quality 2 hour video of me doing some challenges. I'm sorry for the quality and no commentary. I talked for two hours not realizing that when my streaming software updated it didn't load my mic, or my video settings. I'll work on redoing some of those runs tomorrow if I have time.

http://www.twitch.tv/jasonlii/b/396659849

Well that sort of takes all my fun out of this. :(

But the Horton 229 was a late war german design and that's what you're going for. It wasn't just a concept though, it was actually built and flown. could I use that? I'll find a couple more of your that I like well enough to build and do one or two for the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I just happen to also love the site luft46 and I've even built to my best ability a good chunk of the site until I accidentally deleted a few, including the falke Wolfe VTOL project ( it literally took about a month to make the damn thing actually be somewhat controllable) but because of this challenge I'm going to rebuild it even better than I originally did :wink: as well as the natter and other things, I can post images of the prototypes I have sofar sometime tomorrow if your interested:D

• 7 months later...

Well, it's not on the list, but it is a vintage WW II German Warplane, here is my ME. P-11o6. It's on the Luft 46 site, it's a messerschmitt test platform. The tail is wrong, due to the aerodynamics involved I can't get the v formation to work, but it's as close as the game will allow me to get. Because of the unbalanced engine placement it's a bit unstable at high speeds and in a barrel roll, but other than that it is a joy to fly, leaves the runway with no user input.

screenshot104_zps435489f0.png

screenshot105_zpscf72ba0e.pngscreenshot107_zpsade8a8c4.png

the horten HO-229 was not deliberately designed as a stealth bomber. Quote:The Horten H.IX, RLM designation Ho 229 (often, and wrongly,[1] called Gotha Go 229 because of the identity of the chosen manufacturer of the aircraft) was a German prototype fighter/bomber designed by Reimar and Walter Horten and built by Gothaer Waggonfabrik late in World War II. It was the first pure flying wing powered by jet engines.[2]

It was given the personal approval of German Luftwaffen Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, and was the only aircraft to come close to meeting his "3×1000" performance requirements, namely to carry 1,000 kilograms (2,200 lb) of bombs a distance of 1,000 kilometres (620 mi) with a speed of 1,000 kilometres per hour (620 mph). Its ceiling was 15,000 metres (49,000 ft).[3]

Since the appearance of the B-2 Spirit flying wing stealth bomber in the 1990s, its similarities in role and shape to the Ho 229 has led many to retrospectively describe the Ho 229 as "the first stealth bomber".[4] A static reproduction of the only surviving Ho 229 prototype, the Ho 229 V3, in American hands since the end of World War II was later tested by the U.S. military who found the basic shape and paint composition of the mock copy would provide for 37% reduction in detection range against the Chain Home radar of the 1940s, but no significant stealth benefit against most other contemporary radar systems.[4]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.