Bored 3D Modeler looking for a challenge..

Cryocasm

I am fairly good with blender, suck terribly at paint.net, but am encouraged to make some really KERBAL parts. The big question is, what should I do first? I'm mainly looking at reducing parts and retaining stats (IE: Making a battery pack the size of the FLT-200 with 2000 power, that's saving 4 parts!), but also using Duck Tape and Elastic Cables to hold things together.

Anyone interested?

-> Comment: I started this thread 4 days ago now, and I see it being a great success, while I love the ideas flowing in, its time for me to focus on the execution of all (or hopefully 90%) of these ideas, so while I would enjoy creativity, the idea flow needs to chill out for a bit. Read the lists below before you suggest anything, to prevent doubles.

So I've been Blender 3D modeling things off the list below as well as things that simply crossed my mind:

2Mxoo2MxlH2MxjZ

Top: Wing with 2 1-meter attachment ports. Bottom: Habitat/Trunked capsule, 2-meter spiked Nuclear engine (it has a 3rd fuel)

2LWUA2My18.jpg2MyNR.jpg

Top: 1-meter capsule service module, preliminary Landmaster rover. Bottom: preliminary Dream Chaser

2K3si2JwWP

Left to right: 2-meter battery pack,radial VASIMR engine

So thats the current state of things, it took me a good 2 hours to model the Dream Chaser into its current form, nearly every Vertix is hand-placed.

So far I've collected these ideas (no specific priority):

Auxiliary Power Units. (me! :D).

All-In-One Return Capsule. (EndlessWaves)

All-In-One Capsule Logistics Package. (I Got BCed)

The Coolest Rover Ever. (UltraVires)

V12 Car Batteries and a V24 Truck Battery.

DreamChaser and possibly SLS. (Skeligandrew)

Solar Sails and possibly a "hacked" Orion Plate. (ialdabaoth)

Biodomes! (ialdabaoth)

Plasma Thrusters. (Technical Ben)

Asking for tons of permissions in order to get loosely articulated wheels for the Landmaster. (my job)

Saturn V analog. (Panichio)

Airbags. (iDan122 + Camacha)

Super Ion Thruster. (czokletmuss)

Habitat Capsule. (Moon Goddess)

Massive Habitat Module. (Cooly568)

Enginia. (swiftgates24)

//Would be nice to discover how to put this into a spoiler as this is a self-reference, owell:

Motorcycle engine running on monopropellant.

6 Cylinder salvaged car engine running on bipropellant.

Simplified Gemini-Esque Capsule (RCS Ports, RCS Fuel, Electric Charge, ASAS)

1 dude version / possibly 3 dude version

Simplified Mission Support Module (RCS Ports, RCS Fuel, Bipropellant, Electric Charge, ASAS, SAS)

1M + 2M versions.

Landmaster Rover "4X4"

4 wheel pods, electric, space for 6.

Landmaster Rover II "8X8"

8 wheel pods, Tatra 813 Style, electric, space for 9.

12 Volt car battery with duct tape (Electric Charge, slightly heavier than stock 100 pack, holds 150 charge)

24 Volt truck battery with Jeb Glue (Electric Charge, stock 500 pack esque, but dirty and streetside, 450 charge + lighter)

Dream Chaser Pod (7 Kerbals into this thing + possibly internals)

Dream Chaser Parachutes (drogue, runway brake, abort chute)

SLS Parts (wikipedia research then execution)

Ugly Rectangular Sail (extend button + throttle, maxPower 0.25 Isp = 2900)

[___________]--

Sexy Circular Sail (unfold button + throttle, maxPower 0.50 Isp = ~3500)

O

Orion Plate (heatshield-ified version, possibly a functional version if coded)

NUCLEAR BOOM ... O--ROCKET

-> refer to page 4 of this thread for mathematical information on the newtons this thing gives you.

Biodomes (weed)

;)

Plasma Thrusters (Powered by noble gases He or Ar, eats more electricity -> max Power 1.0 Isp ~5500 for .5M, x2 for 1M)

Ion Thruster 1M Edition (steal model + upsize + x2 all stats :P)

Inquire about mumechlib.dll and Landmaster Rover.

Research Saturn V analogs and propose structure diagram for heavy launchers.

Research Kerbal Airbags.

MicroNuclearReactor.

x100 RTG @ more weight. Need to find a Kerbal Uranium-235 for this. hmmm, Joolium-235? Plutonium-240? Eeloonium-240?

High Isp engines.

Research into habitat equipment for the capsule.

Design + Ideas for usage of a 2.5M or possibly 3.75M diameter (at least 10M in length) massive habitat.

Research into Jeb + Ducktape + Crane + Steel + BUILDING ROCKET ENGINES for DUMMIES book.

//End self reference.

Edited by Cryocasm
Wrap Up

A combined capsule, decoupler and parachute?

Interesting idea, I'm already thinking about an inline-capsule which is 1M topside and 1M bottomside as its theoretically a regular decoupler.. hmm...

I'll think about it, how many dudes should be in it?

May I suggest a capsule support module to go under the pod like stage 4 on the Apollo mission. It could include: Solar panels + ASAS/MJ + Small amount of RCS propellent / thrusters + Big Batteries + De-coupler (pod side) + small amount of fuel NO ENGINE

Im imagining a 2.5M Diamiter x 2.5M Length part with a stupidly complicated segmented design and block coloured texture.

Modeling so it looks in place if/when life support is added could be great too.

Solar panels + ASAS/MJ + Small amount of RCS propellent / thrusters + Big Batteries + De-coupler (pod side) + small amount of fuel NO ENGINE.

/clip

So basically all of the 20+ parts under the capsule condensed into one? Sounds good, I assume your size constraint of 250cm X 250cm is meant to fit the 3man stock pod?

If you're really looking for a Challenge.... I've always wanted to drive THIS!!!

QDaCB06.jpg

It's the "Landmaster" from a 70's SciFi movie called "Damnation Alley" It's on YouTube if you've never seen it, it's not too bad.

OH GOD THAT LOOKS COOL!

Too bad its outside of my abilities as I have no idea how to adapt cart.dll to this thing. What I could do is build it without the wheels, and recommend everyone to go get TT Modular Multiwheels. Does it have to retain the weapons or can I make it a bit more peaceful? Looks awesome for a Rover to any planet really. Adding this one to my list.

Well, I don't suppose our Kerbal's really need weapons... unless the mighty Space Kraken shows up! :0.0: And the TriStar wheels would probably be hard to do too, they articulate in a couple of different ways... Hmmm I wonder if we could get a bit of a community project going here, you could make the body, and someone who knows more than you (or me either :wink: ) can make the cart and wheels.... ?

Well, I don't suppose our Kerbal's really need weapons... unless the mighty Space Kraken shows up! :0.0: And the TriStar wheels would probably be hard to do too, they articulate in a couple of different ways... Hmmm I wonder if we could get a bit of a community project going here, you could make the body, and someone who knows more than you (or me either :wink: ) can make the cart and wheels.... ?

Eh, the problem with cart.dll is my limited knowledge of C++ coupled with the fact that it isn't my work, and this practically means I can't really adapt it anyway as I lack sufficient knowledge of all of its parameters. I program Lua just find and find it hard to use other peoples work because it simply isn't mine and I have no idea how to use it to its full extent. Owell. I'll surely make the body compatible with the provided rover wheels, and then attempt to make the TriStar wheels and use the DevKit to make it work lacking the articulation.

Sounds good to me! Some Landmaster is better than none! :D You could really just make the body like a regular command pod, and then just stick some stock rover wheels on the side... and make the TriStar's later to do the same thing... maybe, I'm not a modder, just an avid player. :cool:

oh god that looks cool!

Too bad its outside of my abilities as i have no idea how to adapt cart.dll to this thing. What i could do is build it without the wheels, and recommend everyone to go get tt modular multiwheels. Does it have to retain the weapons or can i make it a bit more peaceful? Looks awesome for a rover to any planet really. Adding this one to my list.

dude carts are stock now. Just add the right partmodule and some wheel colliders!!!

Replicas of real world stuff, like the Space Launch System (SLS) or the Dream Chaser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Chaser)

I express particular interest in the Dream Chaser because of its unusual shape and a similar looking spacecraft which paraglides to a soft landing.

dude carts are stock now. Just add the right partmodule and some wheel colliders!!!

That's what I meant with using the DevKit to slap together the wheels, but they will sadly lack the cool articulation exhibited by their weird design.

Can you provide references as to how they articulate?

Would like :D

Anyways @UltraVires its good to have ideas from players, because those usually exhibit the highest creativity and most individual part needs for God knows what application. I decided to make an addon pack purely because I myself would like some new/different parts, but for more people than myself. See APUs on the To Do list (basically an insulated motorcycle engine "burning" (depressurizing) Mono/Bi-Propellant and expelling it slow enough to not affect the aircraft while producing electricity.) Expect V12 Car Batteries to be applied directly to the rocket!

--> adding Dream Chaser to the list. Work will begin fairly soon (tomorrow if I don't fall asleep after getting home hopefully), school isn't being too much of a timewaster.

Wheel articulation for Endless waves:

hgcNfSy.gif

the wheels themselves move, and the whole wheel assembly itself can move or "walk" over an obstruction too big for the wheels to drive over. Also by locking the wheel assemblies, the vehicle can "swim" in water as well... it's a really cool wheel design...

Here is some footage of the real vehicle in action.. this is not a model, they built a life-size vehicle for the movie!

I think I'll start a new thread for this, so we don't spam Cryo to death :P

New Thread HERE

Edited by UltraVires

Ooh! A bored modeller? I could really, REALLY use the following:

- a Solar Sail model (basically a HUGE, shiny, flat-ish parachute that deploys in space)

- an Orion plate (basically a 100-meter "blast shield" with a nozzle at the bottom and a huge set of shock absorbers at the top, that uses nuclear bombs as propulsion pellets).

Ooh! A bored modeller? I could really, REALLY use the following:

- a Solar Sail model (basically a HUGE, shiny, flat-ish parachute that deploys in space)

- an Orion plate (basically a 100-meter "blast shield" with a nozzle at the bottom and a huge set of shock absorbers at the top, that uses nuclear bombs as propulsion pellets).

Solar sail would be theoretically possible, considering that "throttling it up" would produce "thrust" without consuming "fuel" (it will have a legacy electrical consumption of 1/m, easily countered by 1 solar panel).

The Orion plate (it fascinates me because...nuclear..) is a bit more tricky, as KSP doesn't have explosions which actually impart force and there isn't an effect for this (I could however have "Fuel Cubes" with a density of 5 to be really heavy and an engine which consumes 1 Fuel Cube per 1 Second at 100% Thrust (thats 1/1/1), meaning the Orion plate would most likely have to go to the back of my mind until I can find a slinky HACK or learn C. The massive 100m blast shield will come soon though, as I see and find the need for a heat shield to be used when landing on Atmospherically blessed planetoids (with the new aerodynamics this is necessary).

I'll add the solar sail as it interests me as well, however the Orion Plate is currently, sadly, not doable unless I hack it as described above.

Solar sail would be theoretically possible, considering that "throttling it up" would produce "thrust" without consuming "fuel" (it will have a legacy electrical consumption of 1/m, easily countered by 1 solar panel).

The Orion plate (it fascinates me because...nuclear..) is a bit more tricky, as KSP doesn't have explosions which actually impart force and there isn't an effect for this (I could however have "Fuel Cubes" with a density of 5 to be really heavy and an engine which consumes 1 Fuel Cube per 1 Second at 100% Thrust (thats 1/1/1), meaning the Orion plate would most likely have to go to the back of my mind until I can find a slinky HACK or learn C. The massive 100m blast shield will come soon though, as I see and find the need for a heat shield to be used when landing on Atmospherically blessed planetoids (with the new aerodynamics this is necessary).

I'll add the solar sail as it interests me as well, however the Orion Plate is currently, sadly, not doable unless I hack it as described above.

Sir. I code. If you model for me, I will code for you. Together we shall CONQUER KERBIN!

Oh! While we're at it, a third thing that would be amazing: A 10m diameter half-sphere glass-and-steel geodesic dome, with trees inside.

my limited knowledge of C++
learn C.

It's C# by the way (or any other language that can be compiled to a mono-runnable dll), a different language to both C and C++.

Wheel articulation for Endless waves

Ah right, well that's simple enough, just a DamnedRobotics rotation joint. I was envisioning lotus-like wheels that folded in or delorean wheels that deployed for hover mode or some even more complicated unwrapping.

If you want a challenge try making the Spirit of fire or Pillar of autumn from halo lol that will take months but it would be awsome to fly

I like those ships from Halo, the problem is less getting through copyright and remodeling it, and more how an accurately sized replica (sized to Kerbal proportions) would even get off Kerbin. This ship is fusion powered and has drive technologies well beyond that of KSP, where rockets barely heave some stupendously heavy thing to orbit and have to adjust speed through pro/retrograde burns rather than magically simply stopping acceleration like the Halo ships manage to. I like the idea, but its kind of hard to execute as you can't really turn around the Pillar of Autumn on the dime needed to quickly retroburn to circularize.

Sir. I code. If you model for me, I will code for you. Together we shall CONQUER KERBIN!

Oh! While we're at it, a third thing that would be amazing: A 10m diameter half-sphere glass-and-steel geodesic dome, with trees inside.

Ooo, Biodomes with TREES (not those tall plants outside).

Well the Orion Plate wouldn't be too hard, but I have no idea of how to go about it, and when/how should we start this joint project you proposed?

It's C# by the way (or any other language that can be compiled to a mono-runnable dll), a different language to both C and C++.

Ah right, well that's simple enough, just a DamnedRobotics rotation joint. I was envisioning lotus-like wheels that folded in or delorean wheels that deployed for hover mode or some even more complicated unwrapping.

My KSP knowledge is even lower than I thought ._., anyways: no rotation joint needed, the diagram demonstrates the wheels freely rotating on their collective mounting, allowing (I presume) no actual control of the attitude of the assembly.

Plasma jets look cool... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2027072188/plasma-jet-electric-thrusters-for-spacecraft

Seems a very different shape and engine effect to the normal engines. Plus relatively founded in reality (so no too cheaty a part :P ).

Plasma thrusters (similar to Ion thrusters) have generally no power but extreme amounts of Isp, so they aren't cheaty at all considering their lengthy acceleration times. I'll add Plasma thrusters to the list in the .5M (for tiny) and 1M categories, as well as an Ion thruster in the 1M size. The question is if its worth having a whole individual fuel for these thrusters, as Plasma thrusters operate on noble gases similar to Ion thrusters, however instead of electrostatic propulsion, electromagnetic propulsion is performed. I'll have a look :D

anyways: no rotation joint needed, the diagram demonstrates the wheels freely rotating on their collective mounting, allowing (I presume) no actual control of the attitude of the assembly.

The mu file format doesn't support physics joints, all objects are either fixed position relative to the parent or are in pre-made animations. If you want something free rotating you need to add the joint at runtime, hence the suggestion of using the DamnedRobotics code (the toggle class in particular, you don't need the extra controls of the servo class).

The mu file format doesn't support physics joints, all objects are either fixed position relative to the parent or are in pre-made animations. If you want something free rotating you need to add the joint at runtime, hence the suggestion of using the DamnedRobotics code (the toggle class in particular, you don't need the extra controls of the servo class).

But that means asking for permission ._.

@EndlessWaves, you proposed to have an all-in-one capsule (parachute/capsule/decoupler) I feel like the idea is a bit redundant after giving it some thought, however what I could do is pack it up with a parachute and add built-in RCS ports to reduce part count as well as increase mobility.

@Capsule Design (topic, not user), my design philosophy concerning capsules is heavily inspired by capsules like Gemini and Apollo, which have lots of their equipment packed together which then jettisons off to reveal parachutes. I'm not looking at building space planes yet (even though these ideas of having massive airfoils to replace the 1234567890 wing parts and make less laggy and more stable aircraft is swimming around my mind) but most capsules will be of the conical bottom heatshield-top parachute configuration, save for the Dream Chaser, it will include some drogue chutes, brake chutes for deploying on the runway, and abort parachutes for landing safely "anywhere" on Kerbin.

Edited by Cryocasm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.