(How) Do you use this Tool?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. (How) Do you use this Tool?

• Yes, I use it frequently
    • Well, i used it do crete that one (or two) Part i realy needed
    • I use / used this to generate cfg files / Models for my own MODs
    • No, never used it / Just tested it and didn't like it

Any help with this, pretty please?

I no expert, but try loading in an existing texture, then editing it to how you want, then saving it under another name keeping all the original pictures formatting :)

I use paint.net and have had no trouble viewing stuff I have done etc, but I always start out with an original and alter it to how I want it to be.

I will release a new version, nothing large, just some new shapes and textures.

But the spaceport is down ATM :-(

I will need to make some upgrades to the code for the next update of KSP, but I will do this!

(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content.php/172-KSP-Weekly-May-21-2013)

I did not correct Miharas issue jet.

About the Textures: I tryed it today and it came out red,too XD

It should work if you copy and edit an existing one, seems like the files have some special settings or something (I'm no expert)

I use GIMP to edit them, Paint.net works, too. They are both free. Others should work fine, too.

I think about making something like a multiplex option.

Like adding multiple nodes to the bottem end of the tank to add multiple engines.

since moast rockets don't use one big engine, but multiple smaler.

What do you think?

Falcon-9-Rocket-in-the-Hangar-660x332.jpg

EDIT: Hey, someone make a space x tex ok? XD

Edited by Lando

I think about making something like a multiplex option.

Like adding multiple nodes to the bottem end of the tank to add multiple engines.

since moast rockets don't use one big engine, but multiple smaler.

What do you think?

A great idea!, but ..... i'm wondering how you will achieve this. Calculating the positions of x nodes can be done. Adding a central node can be done as well. Technically it can be done, but the rules determining if it is a valid configuration will be quite challenging.

Edited by TheCardinal

I will release a new version, nothing large, just some new shapes and textures.

Great! Thanks for working on it!

Couple quick bugs:

I ran into a little issue(?) with the RTG functionality. The mass on the vanilla RTG is only 0.08 tons but the 1.25m stackable RTG I created weighed in at over 1.7 tons. It produces a little more power (1/sec) than the vanilla unit (0.75/sec), and I guess the structure should have some weight but custom RTGs seem overly massive at present. Maybe .12 tons for the custom RTG and some extra weight for the structure?

Also ran into a little UI glitch. Changing the oxidizer amount while 'auto' in checked results in a crash. Maybe add a little function to force-uncheck the auto checkbox if the oxidizer value is selected? Might be easier to just 'grey out' the oxidizer field while 'auto' is checked instead.

Thanks for releasing/developing this tool by the way. It adds so much flexibility to rocket design. I will honestly be surprised if there isn't eventually a "Landos Tank Fab" building out between the VAB and space plane hanger. Thanks again!

I ran into a little issue(?) with the RTG functionality. The mass on the vanilla RTG is only 0.08 tons but the 1.25m stackable RTG I created weighed in at over 1.7 tons. It produces a little more power (1/sec) than the vanilla unit (0.75/sec), and I guess the structure should have some weight but custom RTGs seem overly massive at present. Maybe .12 tons for the custom RTG and some extra weight for the structure?

FWIW, the vanilla PK-NUK appears to be based on the SNAP-19 RTGs used in the Pioneer 10/11 spacecraft. They produced 40W of power. The BES-5 Buk reactors used on some large Soviet satellites produced 3000W of power, and weighed only 1 ton. Translating that into KSP terms, if a PB-NUK generates 0.75 power, a one ton BES-5 equivalent ought to generate 56.25, and your 1.7 ton RTG should probably be generating even more...

EDIT: Hey, someone make a space x tex ok? XD

I'll see what I can do.

What happens if I make a large logo but someone uses it on a small tank?

Will the software rescale it?

Edit: OK I guess it does rescale it. The one on the left is in version 19.1 and the right is in version 20.0

The connection nodes aren't working right in 20.0. Also the outside ribbing is getting in the way of the logo.

Would people prefer tanks without ribbing?

If you want this Lando let me know and I'll send it over.

The logo is on one side only, as I'm not sure how to center it on different diameters.

UQohmfu.png XxPMvo4.png

Edited by Tommygun

Silly question, but can we edit our existing parts, or would it be better to wait for an update to parts I wonder :)

sure you can edit them, but there will be a new version soon

have to make some changes for 20.0

@tommygun: the texture looks great, youve got my mail adress, Thank you!

FIXED the 0.20 bug

I will take a look at the bugs reported by Psycho0124 and release the new version in 12 hours

MK3 and 2 shapes won't make it in this time, since I'm not sure about scaling and texture issues ATM and I wan't to get the 0.20 patch out ASAP. Also my cluster plan (read the post from Yesterday, 21:21) will have to wait.

I did edit a couple of my tanks by doing the scale = 1 and they seemed to join up real good, but since I will be sleeping soon I won't bother doing any more cause you will have released by the time I get back on the computer.. :)

I did edit a couple of my tanks by doing the scale = 1 and they seemed to join up real good, but since I will be sleeping soon I won't bother doing any more cause you will have released by the time I get back on the computer.. :)

Yup, thats just what the new version will do

OK, Uploaded the new version!

- Fixed everything for 20.0

- added an octo shape

- added a "D-Type" shape (It's a a round pipe, cut lengthwise in half / you can make cool looking lifters if you add 2 of them to a cube tank with the same diameter)

- added a lot of textures made by users (Thank you)

AND... MAC / LINUX SUPPORT

ok ok

I've tried it previously, but I think I ve got it working this time... (I have no system other than Windows to test)

Just try using mono like in the first post.

please report your results!

...I keep meaning to ask.

Some preview images giving the general idea of what each of the models look like would be very helpful, generating tanks just to end up realizing this isn't what you wanted to make once you load up KSP takes a while. :)

...I keep meaning to ask.

Some preview images giving the general idea of what each of the models look like would be very helpful, generating tanks just to end up realizing this isn't what you wanted to make once you load up KSP takes a while. :)

Yes, but who is going to draw all that images?

Edited by Lando

Yes, but who is going to draw all that immages?

Well, as far as I can tell, you're directly modifying the XML in COLLADA when you're generating models, (or otherwise messing with them so I can't just stick them into any kind of thumbnail generator and expect it to work. An pre-generated icon with a general shape would be much more descriptive than just 'cylinder' -- because later it turns out it isn't simply a cylinder, but a cylinder with extra bits...

you have a thumbnail generator for COLLADA ???

that would do the trick

I don't. :) I'm pretty sure someone out in the world has, otherwise Google 3D Warehouse wouldn't be able to function, though. :)

P.S. Found one. As I expected, they don't exactly work on your 'dat' files because those, while readable, have zero Z height, so I can't see much of anything about what the model might look like before I actually generate a part with it.

Edited by Mihara
added postscriptum

Ok, everyone is saying it's great and all, but I'm a noob at this so help me out please.

I make a custom tank and then save it. Say I call it, Uber tank. The folder w/ all the files in it is called "Uber_tank". Now I place it directly into the Steam's KSP folder>GameData folder. When I load the game, nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong? Oh and the tank was built under "Propulsion" option in the mod. HELP!!!:)

Ok, everyone is saying it's great and all, but I'm a noob at this so help me out please.

I make a custom tank and then save it. Say I call it, Uber tank. The folder w/ all the files in it is called "Uber_tank". Now I place it directly into the Steam's KSP folder>GameData folder. When I load the game, nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong? Oh and the tank was built under "Propulsion" option in the mod. HELP!!!:)

I not sure about putting things in the new folder structure, so at the moment I put the tanks I make into the "KSP folder>parts folder" and they work...

I not sure about putting things in the new folder structure, so at the moment I put the tanks I make into the "KSP folder>parts folder" and they work...

Well, one possibility could be to prompt for the GameData folder when saving and simply store everything in there under GameData\Partgen\Parts\(subfolder based on tool selection). Or (your time permitting), adding an option to replace GameData in this example with a user-defined folder. It's just convenience of course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.