[1.0.x] KSP Keyboard Map v2.5 - Old School Gaming (Aug 5)

TriggerAu

This is great! Any hope for an update version of the PDF file?

Let me see what i can do. Last time I tried it myself I got a giant image and not really the best for usability.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks lik ethe latest version of Inkscape is all good for the fonts now. I'll mess around with it a little and upload one and let you know

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Has anything changed in the keybindings of 1.1.x, or is this still current? I think it's still current?

(Trying to find a key on the keyboard that is unused by the stock game, in order to de-conflict some keybindings for mods; the Pilot Assistant and Improved Chase Camera toggle keys are both mapped to Tab by default. By the currently posted version of the keymap, it should work if I map one of them to 'Y'...)

• 2 weeks later...

@kBob: Thanks! I have seen that, but thought it might be out of date since the wiki still talks about migration problems and the warning has been there for a long time. Checking the history of the key bindings page, though, says that it's last been updated on 19 May 2016, so it's probably fine.

In fact, looking at this diff, which lists the changes to that page between KSP 1.0.5 and 1.1.0, it seems the only changes in 1.1.0 are the addition of '/' to stop timewarp (unfortunately, useful only on keyboard layouts such as EN-US that need no modifiers for '/'), and the change of the modifier key from LAlt to RShift on Linux, which is indeed very nice since many window managers on Linux tend to reserve LAlt for other purposes.

I didn't actually notice the latter - I'm playing on Linux and I think I had to remap Mod in settings.cfg with the help of this. In Linux KSP 1.0.4, Mod was RShift, while 1.0.5 used LAlt, and I could have sworn that when I installed KSP 1.1.2 with a default settings.cfg, the default modifier key was LAlt. Would need to do a clean decompress to check, though.

In case anyone is wondering, 'Y' is indeed unused. Problem solved. Now to hope there won't be many more key conflicts :P

@Technologicat , yeah you can sure run into trouble with key-bindings.  A few days ago I put myself in orbit to finally learn to use the EVA jetpacks properly.  For me I can't stand WASD, I just have always hit the wrong keys and usually the key I hit will cause some disaster (no matter what the game is).  So I always map movement to the arrow keys.  Of course in KSP you have six directions for some things so on my keyboards Insert/Delete are usually near the arrow keys and work well for up/down.  So this is what I did for EVA also I made keypad 0 grab so I didn't fumble for the F key (for some reason I don't have that problem with R).  So all well and good I threw myself off the ship a few times until I got the hang of always being able to get back.

So a little later I do this great mission to the Mun and don't bother with ladders.  And dang I can't get Bob off the ground.  No matter what I do the jet pack won't get me up.  So I look back and make sure the key bindings didn't somehow get reverted, but no.  Do a few searches on the forums and see no one has the problem so it must be me.  Finally I go back to the keybindings with the sudden flash that since I'm not in space both the EVA jetpack and the on surface EVA controls are active and switch the walking back to WS and sure enough I can now jet pack on the Mun and bring all that science home (we need the bang head emoticon).

Anyway I came here because I remembered these charts from a while ago they are a great starting place and now that I've got most of my custom keybindings the way I want I'm going to make my own version and print it out so I don't have to keep alt-tabbing out to look at the Wiki page to try and remember the ones I don't use as much.  But I have noticed that the Wiki is pretty active and seems to have kept up with the new changes for the most part.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.