[0.22] Kerbal Maps: Web maps of all bodies. Biomes and text info. (v0.11 Oct 8)

saik0

it was like a gut punch when I went to load the website today and it failed. Is there any way at all we can contact the author? I'm sure someone would rehost it. I'd even give my (shared) server a shot at it. That site was invaluable!

it was like a gut punch when I went to load the website today and it failed. Is there any way at all we can contact the author? I'm sure someone would rehost it. I'd even give my (shared) server a shot at it. That site was invaluable!

I know right? What a shame! I just PM'd saik0, although he hasn't been online since February. :(

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

alright, so kerbalmaps.com went down hard at the end of last week. This happened earlier this year and it was back in a few days. It's still down, so I've sent the author an email to see what's up. He and I were working closely and frequently a few months ago on getting the maps updated with the newer biomes and even more zoom levels. Communication stopped from his end at the start of July and haven't been able to raise him since - I hope he just got busy with work and family. If I can't reach him after a week or so, I do have the means to host kerbalmaps.com but it will take me a lot of work to setup because I was never made fully familiar with the process of creating the map tiles. Hopefully he can just get kerbalmaps.com back up and running.

Keep you all posted...

Welp, I hate to be all doom & gloom but looks like kerbalmaps may be gone for a good while this time, if not for good. Did not get a response to the email I sent out Monday. A whois check of the domain returns a status code that is listed on the ICANN website as an "uncommon status that is usually enacted during legal disputes or when your domain is subject to deletion". So I'm guessing the author has been failing to pay his server fees and GoDaddy shut it down. The domain itself isn't set to expire until next year so there's nothing I can do about that right now. Today I even went so far as to try calling the phone number registered to the domain and left a message - the voicemail was a generic mailbox that did not identify the recipient so I don't know if that message actually reached the author. I know the author's full name and location but was unable to turn up any obits, arrests or other news stories. Unfortunately as with most things like this we may never know what happened to him, if something did.

I'm going to keep hoping through the weekend but after that I will knuckle down and see what I can get running on my server. Note that my first priority will be getting Kerbin map tiles up and running for the KSA Flight Tracker. After that I will see about getting the more generic KerbalMaps.com interface set up - but in the meantime the KSA Flight Tracker will suffice for similar features to KerbalMaps.com (can place pins, see Hi/Lo landmarks, etc).

I'm also probably going to need help, so anyone with javascript experience and GIS geo-mapping experience please raise your hand... you still around @Cyriak?

Edited by Drew Kerman

@MAFman yah still 404. but to answer your question, A* is a 2d pathfinding algorithm, normally all you would do in A* is to find obstacles and avoid them and at the same time find the optimum path to the target. In other words, you need to constantly check the height between current node and the next neighbour you are calculating the A* values for, this way if the height change is above some number you know that you are falling into a slope or rising it depending on the sign of the number, but... this won't be accurate, simply because at the same time you may want to check the slope angle at the current node's position AND at the neighbour node. All in all, if you want to do this type of navigation, normally in unity I would suggest navigation meshes, but considering that there is no ability to build nav mesh for ksp maps, I think A* with the additions I told you, or teta* (maybe) can be used. Problem is, the accuracy of the map you would use for the height definition between nodes (maybe each pixel could be used as a node but still the accuracy would differ based on the resolution)

Edited by Jiraiyah

@Drew Kerman any chance of having this tool as a local hosting? or even better, any chance of having something like this as a stand alone application (winform or any other application platform?) the author gave tons of maps in mega website, i thought there should be a way to use them and replicate the website as a stand alone app?

5 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

@Drew Kerman any chance of having this tool as a local hosting? or even better, any chance of having something like this as a stand alone application (winform or any other application platform?) the author gave tons of maps in mega website, i thought there should be a way to use them and replicate the website as a stand alone app?

A standalone app won't be my focus. I need to get things back up and running for my KSA Flight Tracker. Anything beyond that is beyond me at this time. Once I get the map tiles back up (don't need the Mega data, which is outdated - I can make my own) I can use the Github source to recreate the KerbalMaps.com service so ppl don't have to use the KSA Flight Tracker, as that doesn't by default take you straight to a surface map. Might be able to port over a few bells and whistles, like orbital plotting. No promises tho.

Still no response to email or voicemail. *cracks knuckles* guess I'll get cracking on this tomorrow...

Again, anyone with Javascript and/or GIS mapping experience (mainly the latter) that I can call upon for assistance please make yourself known. Might make things a bit easier and thus faster... no word from @Cyriak either on here or twitter, which is a shame cause he was originally working to help me get the map tiles setup before the original author became heavily involved and began handling things himself.

I have no doubt at all I will get this all figured out. Just can't say how long that will take.

I'll be coming by here daily to respond to stuff but for updates I'll mainly be posting over at @DKerman_KSA on twitter

Edited by Drew Kerman

41 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I have no doubt at all I will get this all figured out. Just can't say how long that will take.

Thanks for picking this up and for what you can do. There's no rush, do things as time and circumstance permit you.

Suggestion: set up Patreon and/or PayPal accounts and post them here and on the site. Let us that cannot help any other way at least contribute to the recovery effort.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.