[0.22] Kerbal Maps: Web maps of all bodies. Biomes and text info. (v0.11 Oct 8)

saik0

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

@Drew Kerman, do you happen to know how the original /sat/ images were generated? I presume all the others were done through ScanSAT due to their resolution at 16k.

I don't really know the full details, except that they were geo-shaded in photoshop or something like that. I'm not really sure how to do it myself.

Also although @IvanSanchez didn't swing by he did respond to me on twitter. He's got some bust RL stuff at the moment but has definitely almost fully replaced the UTF grid implementation for his version of KerbalMaps. So @damaltor we can continue your work if we want a fallback in case Ivan gets held up indefinitely but know there's a replacement in the works for it

Thanks for the info. :D I have created the tile maps for Gael (Galileo's Planet Pack) down to 16384 x 8192 resolution and have hacked it into Ivan's Leaflet.Kerbal demo from his repo and it is working somewhat, however, I think that the directory structure of the KerbalMaps site doesn't match what i have and therefore it is only showing a small portion of the top of the map.

Do you happen to know the KerbalMaps directory structure?

EDIT: Ah I think I generated the tiles with the y values going from top to bottom whereas KerbalMaps does it going from bottom to top. Sorted it in the tiles script file and all is working fine now.

Edited by Poodmund

On 10/14/2016 at 5:45 PM, seanth said:

I have managed to make the tiles for the slope, color, and sat views for all the bodies. Unfortunately the resulting zip is 2.9gig in size, so I can't upload it to github as a release.

For those with space to spare on their drives, you can download the package and try and run it locally

http://goo.gl/tOk0qD

Edit: I wasn't aware that google's short links won't let you link to zip. Try this:

https://ice-nine.org/seant/KerbalMaps.zip

Just a heads up: This link will be dead in a week or so. If anyone is interested in grabbing it for the tiled maps, etc, you might want to do so soon.

Also, with regards to the altitude data that was being displayed via the UTF Grid data, @saik0 posted the method he was using here: https://github.com/mapbox/utfgrid-spec/blob/master/1.2/utfgrid.md

On a side note, did IvanSanchez get multiple bodies working in the new Leaflet plugin?

Edited by Poodmund

48 minutes ago, seanth said:

Just a heads up: This link will be dead in a week or so. If anyone is interested in grabbing it for the tiled maps, etc, you might want to do so soon.

i have a copy of the archive and will provide a new link then. poke me if i forget.

@Poodmund great, that pretty much looks like what i figured out. should have googled for it earlier... Thanks for the link.

Edited by damaltor

11 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

As an aside, the work done so far is amazing anyway. I have managed to get these two maps up and running without a hitch:

:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

Those look so great! So I guess OPM maps could be on your ToDo list after you complete your visual overhaul update?

OK, so I've been away for a while because real life has taken over my life. Or something like that. :confused:

I've been able to work on a couple of things that might be interesting:

Keodesy - https://gitlab.com/IvanSanchez/keodesy

This is just a few projection definitions to have at hand when handling the geotiffs, or setting up mapping services. Not incredibly useful, but nice to have, to keep a common baseline for what the projections and geoids (or keoids) are.

Leaflet.TileLayer.GL - https://gitlab.com/IvanSanchez/Leaflet.TileLayer.GL

This is a very cool Leaflet plugin, that enables rendering hypsometric tints (i.e. colour ramps for elevation) on-the-fly, in the browser.

This means that a web browser can apply different elevation colour ramps on the fly, pretty much like the different colours for elevations in SCANsat work.

If anybody could have a look at the image format used in the TileLayer.GL demos, and now to convert from the 16-bit geotiffs to that format, it would be awesome.

This can easily replace UTF grids. UTF grids was cool back in 2010-2012, but no more. A web browser can query the colour of a pixel of a tile (and thus, calculate the elevation/slope of that pixel) easily, so I don't think that UTF grids have a lot of future.

---

Alas, real life is going to have me pinned down at least until the second week of january. I do hope to pick up KSP back, maybe do a sandbox run with SCANsat just to get images of the planetary bodies and create some tiles.

@Drew Kerman I'm alive, see? :sticktongue:

@Poodmund Wow, nice work on those GPP maps!!

2 hours ago, IvanSanchez said:

*snip*

If anybody could have a look at the image format used in the TileLayer.GL demos, and now to convert from the 16-bit geotiffs to that format, it would be awesome.

Great stuff there Ivan, very cool!

I did a scrape of MapBox's Level 4 tiles from the demo and have collated them here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2ljlwk06cd38xv/4.zip?dl=0

The 256px files are direct saves from MapBox's site and the large .png and .psd are images that I put together. Just in case its helpful to anyone...?

13 hours ago, IvanSanchez said:

I'm alive, see? :sticktongue:

Oh I knew you were alive I just needed you to come by to prove it to everyone else :cool: and show off all your cool stuff

13 hours ago, IvanSanchez said:

Alas, real life is going to have me pinned down at least until the second week of january

Thx for the timeline. No worries, we all understand these projects move along at their own pace. Certainly not holding you to Mid-Jan for any continuation

We might have another GIS-knowledgeable contributor as well, but I'll let him introduce himself if he decides to. I'm glad I got things rolling on this but I'm waaay out of my depth here now as things stand. However I do wish to serve up my PC and relatively copious amounts of free time to rendering/gathering any map data from KSP that is required for you GIS gurus to manipulate.

Edited by Drew Kerman

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2016 at 4:41 PM, Drew Kerman said:

I just have to figure out how to process the GEOTiff data.

What data do you exactly need from the GEOTiffs? I have Terragen 3 which reads GEOTiff and has various methods of exporting.

On 12/31/2016 at 2:11 PM, WAS said:

What data do you exactly need from the GEOTiffs? I have Terragen 3 which reads GEOTiff and has various methods of exporting.

Not sure to be honest, and I've since given up looking into it since more capable people are working on things.

Although it's been a bit quite around here lately...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 1:00 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Not sure to be honest, and I've since given up looking into it since more capable people are working on things.

Although it's been a bit quite around here lately...

I just use the Google Earth hack, now.

55 minutes ago, JAFO said:

That video has a link to all the files used to build the KerbalMaps maps! And the link still works.. Nice!

https://mega.nz/#F!8EAnSL5Z!OAyLBQqrQtlmfL0GT8fcQg!EBYyXRxA

Yup. When I made that video and my local version of kerbinmaps, I used the files from 

It _is_ pretty sweet that after 3yrs the files are still in the same place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.