[0.22] Kerbal Maps: Web maps of all bodies. Biomes and text info. (v0.11 Oct 8)

saik0

tmVmMTfl.jpg

http://www.kerbalmaps.com

The Kerbal Maps project is an effort to map all the celestial bodies in Kerbal Space program to give users an overview of the terrain and easter eggs, and provide high resolution digital elevation models to GIS savvy users and plugin developers.

A note about the new min/max elevation markers: They are not authoritative. The map data is a collection of point samples, so on bodies with a large radius the resolution is not high enough to find the exact highest point. In the worst case scenario it should still to accurate to within 50 meters or so.

Planned features:

• Historical version archive (show other versions of KSP)
  • Place markers and share them

Project sources:

People using Kerbal Maps data:

• Tingle's Celestial Bodies Revamped High res texture pack
  • [THREAD=24594]Telemachus[/THREAD] Telemetry and Flight Control in the Web Browser

Map Data:

Download map data from MEGA. All GeoTIFF format, zlib level 9 compressed, 256x256 tiles with no pyramids. Relief and sat images should open with any decent image editor/viewer and/or GIS software. Elevation GTIFFs will require GIS software.

URL Parameters:

[table=width: auto]

[tr]

[td]Parameter[/td]

[td]Description[/td]

[td]Possible Values[/td]

[td]Default[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]body[/td]

[td]The celestial body to display (case insensitive)[/td]

[td]moho ... eeloo[/td]

[td]kerbin[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]style[/td]

[td]The style of base layer (case insensitive)[/td]

[td]sat, color, slope, biome[/td]

[td]sat[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]overlays[/td]

[td]The overlay layers to show (case insensitive, comma separated)[/td]

[td]spacecenters, anomalies, poi[/td]

[td]none[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]loc[/td]

[td]Places a marker on the map with an optional popup message.

Coordinates in decimal.

Message is a url encoded string.

Automatically centers and zooms the map.

Can have multiple loc parameters in one url[/td]

[td]lat,long,message[/td]

[td]none[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]zoom[/td]

[td]The starting zoom level.

Fit shows the max zoom possible to fit the whole map.

Overrides loc zoom.[/td]

[td]0-5, fit[/td]

[td]If one or more valid loc then the max to show them all.

If no markers the max to show the whole map.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]center[/td]

[td]The coordinates to center the map view on, in decimal.

Coordinates in decimal.

Overrides loc center.[/td]

[td]lat,long[/td]

[td]0,0[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Examples:

Changelog:

0.1 8192x4096 map of Kerbin: satellite, relief, and slope tile layers with 5 zoom levels.

0.1.1 Markers for Kerbin space centers and anomalies. (no spoilers)

0.2 Add celestial body, legend, and scale controls. Add Mun and Minmus with 6 zoom levels.

0.3 Add Duna and Ike with 6 zoom levels.

0.3.1 Remove unconfirmed fourth anomaly from Duna. [-0.0005, -31.8825]

0.4 Add Moho, Eve, Gilly, Dres, Laythe, Tylo, Bop, Pol, and Eeloo at 6 zoom levels

0.5 Updated Kerbin and Mun to 0.21. Kerbin now has 6 zoom levels and the same slope relief scale and legend as the rest of the bodies. Used more exaggerated shading on sat.

0.6 Updated Moho, Eve, and Duna. Used more exaggerated shading on sat.

0.7 Updated satellite tiles to have more exaggerated shading for Gilly, Minmus, Ike, Dres, Laythe, Vall, Tylo, Bop, Pol, Eeloo.

0.8 Updated Bop to 0.21. Restored the ocean masking on Kerbin and Eve.

0.9 Added min/max elevation markers

0.10 Added biome color map and cursor hover. Click hover position to switch between decimal and DMS formatting. URL params live on production server.

0.11 Added textual elevation and slope on hover. Added data loading indicator to show when text data is loading.

Thanks to:

Edited by saik0

What IS the copyright status for the kerbin map? I thought it was based on a freeware map the devs got with the terrain generation code...

It was, though I think the devs completely designed the other planets and moons of the solar system.

I believe the eventual hope is to have it sufficiently detailed so it can be used for things like landing sites so perhaps the tools and applications forum?

Well there's the plugin we created to get the map data from KSP. I need to refactor before I re-release it. It's a hideous unintelligible mess of nested loops. So maybe Plugin powered release section?

AWESOME! Looks pretty and very amazing! What about, a map of your KSP save, with all the rockets and somethin g like this.. Complex but awesome!

That's outside the scope of what I want to do. There's no reason other modders could not pull the tile layers from the map server and display them in game though.

With spare time for hobbies and side projects becoming increasingly scarce I think I'm going to need somebody familiar with webdev to continue the project. I just dont have time to make the map tiles and learn the nuances of js all while navigating the minefield that is cross browser compatibility. At the moment the maps need a body switcher control, the Mun and Minmus tiles are ready. Thankfully leaflet reloads layers when we call their setUrl method, so it should be pretty straightforward. A map legend is another low hanging fruit.

Edit: I tried to avoid learning a new language and framework for the project, but It was inevitable. Working on some features myself with some contributions from Trigger Au. Still in my spare time so development is moving slower than i'd like

Edited by saik0

So, are there any other planets and/or bodies supported by the site yet?

Not yet, when it's ready. Trying to keep the progress up to date on the original post, I will update the thread title accordingly when the site gets an update too.

Hey Saiko,

I must say I am loving the fact that someone other than myself has expressed interest in mapping the Kerbol system. I have been working with JS and developing webpages for god knows how long and would be willing to aid you in this project. Most of your suggestions in the OP seem to be pretty simple and easily done given enough time. My semester of school is just about done and could really use a project like this to keep me occupied. Send me a PM or message me on Skype @ adulese (I am on there 24/7).

Warm Regards,

Joe

How do you create these detailed maps? I know of the mapping mod, but I don't know how you also get the right colours for the terrain. Anyway, really nice job, and I'm looking forward to new updates. This could really become a very useful tool in the future.

Hey Saiko,

I must say I am loving the fact that someone other than myself has expressed interest in mapping the Kerbol system. I have been working with JS and developing webpages for god knows how long and would be willing to aid you in this project. Most of your suggestions in the OP seem to be pretty simple and easily done given enough time. My semester of school is just about done and could really use a project like this to keep me occupied. Send me a PM or message me on Skype @ adulese (I am on there 24/7).

Warm Regards,

Joe

Great! I'm nearly finished with the body and legend widgets, once they are done I'm planning on sharing the project on github and welcome any contributions.

How do you create these detailed maps? I know of the mapping mod, but I don't know how you also get the right colours for the terrain. Anyway, really nice job, and I'm looking forward to new updates. This could really become a very useful tool in the future.
I'm with Panichio on this. Would be great to know how you got the high res textures.

Warm Regards,

Joe

Soonâ„¢

Priorities are:

1. Rewrite body widget
  2. Share leaflet plugins on github
  3. Cleanup ksp plugin code
  4. Write a quick how-to doc for generating maps from plugin output
  5. Share plugin and guide on github/forums
  6. Add more bodies / implement more features

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.