[0.22] Kerbal Maps: Web maps of all bodies. Biomes and text info. (v0.11 Oct 8)

saik0

Leaflet plugin source released.

This plugin looks very interesting to me. Can it generate height maps and unshaded color maps? I would like to get as high res maps as I can for some 3d renderings.

Yes, it can generate height maps at any arbitrary resolution and unshaded color maps at 10k x 5k. Releasing the map generator plugin is next on my list.

Edited by saik0

Duna and Ike added to the maps. Huzzah!

Edit: I visited the -0.0005, -31.8825 'fourth anomaly' on Duna, there did not appear to be anything on, under, or above the terrain, so I've removed it from the map until there is some evidence something is there.

Edited by saik0

Did you have your sound all the way up? Maybe it's the "Singing Hill of Duna" I heard about in 0.17...

Yes, forgot to mention I was listening for anything anomalous during my expiditon as well. (-0.0005, -31.8825 is not the location of the known sound-emitting object)

I love these maps!

I have one issue though, I can't click on any of the moons. When I try to hover my cursor over the icon, the menu disappears :(

Browser and os with version numbers? You're the fourth user (of several thousand) to get this bug but I cant replicate it for the life of me.

I've put a probe on -9.8314 : 25.9177 at the Mün, but there's no sign of an anomaly in that crater? Are you sure there's an anomaly there?

Edit: upon further investigation of the area I did find this:

pUwA7yk.png

I don't really think this is an anomaly. Anyway, I'm going to put my rover back on the ground (with hacks ;.;(shame upon me)) as I forgot to put the handbrakes on and got destroyed inside this thing. And then I pressed F5 instead of F9.

Edit 2: Nevermind found it, behind the error.

Edited by MmPMSFmM

What about Jool?

L5z2jGj.jpg

Not sure where you got that image, exported from the game resources or user created? In any case I cant get Jool or Sun maps form the API with neither the CreateMaps function, nor can I get surface data for them. It's unlikely they will be mapped by the project if it cant be done programatically.

Is there a way to save the web app to my computer? This is amazing!

Not at this time. The source is available but getting all the map tiles is non-trivial. It's 122850 pngs totaling about 1.7GB.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is there a plugin that allows positional data to be transferred say from telemachus for anyones satellites? I saw a picture of one somewhere - maybe in this thread.

I would wish it to work such that only selected clients or such so as to filter the data when accessing the site.

Also sounds tho as in doing this would require bandwidth useage. (I am just now lookin at telemachus - finally...after updating my mods to 20.2 ...hours of work just updating)

Cdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta
addendum

hey, I dont want to be picky, because your maps are AWESOME!!!!, but is there a way to export your maps that goes a little bit faster then grid for grid? I want to do some wiki work, but I need the maps and the ability to draw on them. I looked around but couldnt find anyone with an answer to my question, so if I clearly missed it, just slap me on the face.

Hi,

Is there a plugin that allows positional data to be transferred say from telemachus for anyones satellites? I saw a picture of one somewhere - maybe in this thread.

I would wish it to work such that only selected clients or such so as to filter the data when accessing the site.

Also sounds tho as in doing this would require bandwidth useage. (I am just now lookin at telemachus - finally...after updating my mods to 20.2 ...hours of work just updating)

Cdr Zeta

Yeah, Rich has integrated kerbalmaps into Telemachus dev builds. I've considered writing an in game client that uploads all craft position/velocity to kerbalmaps, allowing users to visualize their own savegames, and share them with others. I made the maps for fun, so far there's been plenty of low hanging fruit to pick. A feature like that requires considerably more effort with less visible results. I'm not yet convinced that's something I want to do.

Can you add a feature where it will highlight in red (or green for Duna) where Kethane reserves are?

It's different for every savegame, and we'd need to first get the data into a format Leaflet is familiar with. GeoJSON looks promising.

hey, I dont want to be picky, because your maps are AWESOME!!!!, but is there a way to export your maps that goes a little bit faster then grid for grid? I want to do some wiki work, but I need the maps and the ability to draw on them. I looked around but couldnt find anyone with an answer to my question, so if I clearly missed it, just slap me on the face.

I've been meaning to make the map data public but whenever I have time to work on the project I usually spend it working on new features and squashing bugs, if only because it's more interesting. Soon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.