[0.22] Kerbal Maps: Web maps of all bodies. Biomes and text info. (v0.11 Oct 8)

saik0

Why the download version slope relief map don't have the sea color layer?

It makes the map difficult to read

And the download version Laythe slope relief map included the seabed slope....

Uploaded Kerbin and Eve slope relief files with oceans masked.

Hey I'd like to report a possible bug.

I'm unable to click on any moons in the drop-down list. It disappears as soon as I move off the Planets row.

Other than that, this is a great tool.

Some chrome users who reported this issue said it was fixed by disabling all add-ons. If that does not solve the problem please let me know which browser and browser version, and OS and OS version.

Hi is possible to link directly to a position with parameters so I could share them with other people? I want to add a link to your map with a marker to wiki pages about locations, like in Wikipedia.

Fabian

Edited by xZise

Hi is possible to link directly to a position with parameters so I could share them with other people? I want to add a link to your map with a marker to wiki pages about locations, like in Wikipedia.

Fabian

OK here you go. Please don't post any urls to test.kerbalmaps.com on the wiki though, this is a draft.

Ah nice, I'm looking forward to see that in the official version. It works nice, for example the KSC: http://test.kerbalmaps.com/?loc=-0.102668048653556,-74.5753856554463

I was trying to place multiple markers: http://test.kerbalmaps.com/?loc=-0.102668048653556,-74.5753856554463&loc=-0.122668048653556,-74.55

But the script does seem to run in an endless loop, although your example does work.

Fabian

Edited by xZise

Ah nice, I'm looking forward to see that in the official version. It works nice, for example the KSC: http://test.kerbalmaps.com/?loc=-0.102668048653556,-74.5753856554463

I was trying to place multiple markers: http://test.kerbalmaps.com/?loc=-0.102668048653556,-74.5753856554463&loc=-0.122668048653556,-74.55

But the script does seem to run in an endless loop, although your example does work.

Fabian

That was an interesting bug to track down, but it should be fixed now.

Wow this is a great addition. I was wondering if it is possible to get the highest position for each latitude (e.g. for each degree going north/south) so it is possible to determine what minimum height you need for an inclination. For example on the Mun the highest point is at the south pole, so as long as you don't orbit polar (or near polar) you don't have to bother with this.

I was hoping to create a graph showing the highest elevations. Maybe I create an example graph to visualize what I wanted to create.

Edit: Okay here is an example with random generated numbers:

tyfQ8is.png

Fabian

Edited by xZise

• 1 month later...
I reached the highest point on kerban, its 3 meters higher at 6764 instead of 6761

A note about the new min/max elevation markers: They are not authoritative. The map data is a collection of point samples, so on bodies with a large radius the resolution is not high enough to find the exact highest point. In the worst case scenario it should still to accurate to within 50 meters or so.

I'm not surprised, the surface of Kerbin is alot bigger than the maps! Within three meters is pretty darn close.

• 3 weeks later...
With the recent 0.22 update they added "biomes". I was wondering if it was possible to make a biome overlay, because I'm curious about it.

I'll second that. How tough would it be to extend your map-extracting plugin to obtain the Biome info? Your overlay GUI would be perfect for showing biome maps.

The map would have to have a very high resolution, the biomes are sometimes quite narrow, going from grassland to highlands to mountains in only a few hundred meters.

That's true, but the current resolution is already very, very high.

BTW, it's only the Mün and Kerbin, the rest of the planets don't have biomes (yet).

Edited by MmPMSFmM

Although I'd love to see a biome map, the resolution isn't that high. On Kerbin near the KSC the scale has a width between 87 and 91 pixels (depending if you count the grey bars) showing a distance of 20 km. So 100 m are only 0.445 pixels wide (using 89 px = 20 km), so a few hundred meters are only a few pixels. Of course when you are getting to the poles this value increases.

I've also another question: How long will it take that URL API becomes official?

Fabian

Been out of town for the last week, but I'm planning on adding biomes soon.

I'll second that. How tough would it be to extend your map-extracting plugin to obtain the Biome info? Your overlay GUI would be perfect for showing biome maps.

Just asking the api for the biome for each pixel on a map in the same manner as I do for height data is much too slow (about a week per body at kerbalmaps res). I experimented with a couple different ways to get good results faster before I left, but wasn't really satisfied with any of them.

The map would have to have a very high resolution, the biomes are sometimes quite narrow, going from grassland to highlands to mountains in only a few hundred meters.

Although I'd love to see a biome map, the resolution isn't that high. On Kerbin near the KSC the scale has a width between 87 and 91 pixels (depending if you count the grey bars) showing a distance of 20 km. So 100 m are only 0.445 pixels wide (using 89 px = 20 km), so a few hundred meters are only a few pixels. Of course when you are getting to the poles this value increases.

Kerbalmaps is already higher resolution than the source textures and heightmaps. The biome maps are only 1024x512.

I've also another question: How long will it take that URL API becomes official?

Soon

Hi saik0. First of all, great work. The maps look fantastic! I don't know much about leaflet, but I know it supports different projections. Would it be possible to add the option to look at the each map using a polar projection so we can see the poles without distortion?

Hi saik0. First of all, great work. The maps look fantastic! I don't know much about leaflet, but I know it supports different projections. Would it be possible to add the option to look at the each map using a polar projection so we can see the poles without distortion?

Hi. It's something I'd like to do, but leaflet projection support is broken right now. I'm currently using Proj4Leaflet to get the equirectangular projection (it's what the game textures use). I'm waiting for leaflet to get good projection support upstream before I add any more. It was supposed to be added in the current release, but got pushed back to the next one. (In short I'm not holding my breath, I'd estimate sometime between 3 months and ∞)

On another note, I've gotten the biome mapper to generate 16k x 8k maps pretty fast, and finished the UTFGrid writer. There's already a Leaflet UTFGrid plugin so it should be ready Soon.

[…]Kerbalmaps is already higher resolution than the source textures and heightmaps. The biome maps are only 1024x512.[…]

Ah okay although this would result in about 3 kilometers per pixel at the equator. How high the resolution of your map at the equator (km/px or px/km)?

[…]Soon

Nice :P

I have another question: Kerbol and Jool have both not really a surface so they aren't listed, but some plugins (e.g. Telemachus) require them. For example Telemachus shows the position of the craft with your map. But this doesn't work if the craft is orbiting Kerbol or Jool. A both bodies still have some kind of texture is it possible to use at least that?

Fabian

Another update. Now has biome color maps, biome hover text, and the position format can be changed by clicking on it. URL param draft finalized.

Ah okay although this would result in about 3 kilometers per pixel at the equator. How high the resolution of your map at the equator (km/px or px/km)?

All the maps are the same pixel resolution: 16384x8192. Equatorial m/px is just (radius * 2pi) / 16384. About 230 m/px for kerbin.

I have another question: Kerbol and Jool have both not really a surface so they aren't listed, but some plugins (e.g. Telemachus) require them. For example Telemachus shows the position of the craft with your map. But this doesn't work if the craft is orbiting Kerbol or Jool. A both bodies still have some kind of texture is it possible to use at least that?

Fabian

I dont use any game textures in making my maps that cant be accessed or generated from the public API. In 0.22 and prior It wasn't possible get Jool or the Sun, 0.23 added some new map related classes and methods, but I've not yet poked around in them.

Edited by saik0

Another update. Now has biome color maps, biome hover text, and the position format can be changed by clicking on it. URL param draft finalized.

Nice one! This looks awesome thank you for the update. I think I've asked this before but is it okay, if I add links from wiki articles like from here to your map? I just want to make sure that it's okay that you got additional traffic (maybe) from the wiki.

All the maps are the same pixel resolution: 16384x8192. Equatorial m/px is just (radius * 2pi) / 16384. About 230 m/px for kerbin.[…]

Ha my estimation with 0.445 px/100 m wasn't that far off (for Kerbin).

Fabian

I'm really glad you added the biomes to the map. Thank you. I would like to ask, is it possible for you to make the maps wrap horizontally, like google maps does? Secondly, can you list degrees-minutes-seconds next to the current coordinates for latitude/longitude?

BTW, it's only the Mün and Kerbin, the rest of the planets don't have biomes (yet).

Actually Eve and Laythe have a "surface" and "ocean" biome, at least as far as any science that cares about biomes (EVA, Gravity, etc) are concerned, even if they don't have a proper biome map.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.