[0.22] Kerbal Maps: Web maps of all bodies. Biomes and text info. (v0.11 Oct 8)

saik0

Nice one! This looks awesome thank you for the update. I think I've asked this before but is it okay, if I add links from wiki articles like from here to your map? I just want to make sure that it's okay that you got additional traffic (maybe) from the wiki.

Ha my estimation with 0.445 px/100 m wasn't that far off (for Kerbin).

Fabian

Yes thats fine, just no links to links to test, thats running on an Intel Atom powered box in my garage. :D

I'm really glad you added the biomes to the map. Thank you. I would like to ask, is it possible for you to make the maps wrap horizontally, like google maps does? Secondly, can you list degrees-minutes-seconds next to the current coordinates for latitude/longitude?

Actually Eve and Laythe have a "surface" and "ocean" biome, at least as far as any science that cares about biomes (EVA, Gravity, etc) are concerned, even if they don't have a proper biome map.

It's not possible to wrap horizontally right now, maybe when Leaflet 0.7 comes out if projections are fixed. You can switch between decimal and DMS formatting by clicking on the coordinates. Did not know that about Eve and Laythe, cool.

You can switch between decimal and DMS formatting by clicking on the coordinates.

Oh awesome, That'll make landing with MechJeb easier, thank you.

EDIT

OK, two more things then.

The POI and Anomaly markers only show decimal, and clicking on it doesn't switch to DMS formatting. I imagine that's because they're just labels, not something programmed to be interactive.

Can you wrap the latitude and longitude in the "loc" GET variable? Telemachus is passing in, say, -300.34 for the longitude sometimes (which should be 59.66), and rather than normalizing the value kerbal maps puts the marker off the map. Sure it's a bug in telemachus, but it's also a bug in Kerbal Maps that it doesn't normalize and sanitize data (when possible, throw an error otherwise) from third parties. A simple while(lat < -180) lat += 360; while(lat > 180) lat -= 360; would do it.

Edited by Erzengel

[…]A simple while(lat < -180) lat += 360; while(lat > 180) lat -= 360; would do it.

Actually lat % 180 should do the trick too: For example if lat is -200 it returns -20 and 20 for +200.

Fabian

Added textual elevation and slope on hover, and a loading indicator to show when the textual data is loading.

Oh awesome, That'll make landing with MechJeb easier, thank you.

EDIT

OK, two more things then.

The POI and Anomaly markers only show decimal, and clicking on it doesn't switch to DMS formatting. I imagine that's because they're just labels, not something programmed to be interactive.

Can you wrap the latitude and longitude in the "loc" GET variable? Telemachus is passing in, say, -300.34 for the longitude sometimes (which should be 59.66), and rather than normalizing the value kerbal maps puts the marker off the map. Sure it's a bug in telemachus, but it's also a bug in Kerbal Maps that it doesn't normalize and sanitize data (when possible, throw an error otherwise) from third parties. A simple while(lat < -180) lat += 360; while(lat > 180) lat -= 360; would do it.

Eventually the marker popups and info control will both format coords according to user preference, what we have now is placeholder. Not sure whether I want to wrap to map bounds, I'll have to think about it (right now the validator only ensures it's numeric).

Hey, so I've tried to turn the Mün 0.21 truecolorcomposite.tif found on your download link into a wallpaper (as I've done successfully with several of the other bodies you've mapped) but the program I'm using keeps crashing upon trying to open it. I'm suspicious that it has to do with biome data being intermingled with it, and suspect the same crash would happen if I tried with Kerbin's map. Is there anything I (or you) could do? Really love what you've done here, by the way. :D

Edited by DannySwish

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nice, could we get a preview to test with?

I have not gotten that far yet. The code currently requires recompilation for every image I create. But I am working on great stuff here. I plan to release all the source code for this so that it is not lost.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to download an offline version of the current website. I frequently have spotty/non-existent internet, and I've found that this website has been a phenomenal help for planning missions, and it would be nice to have access to it in times when I don't have internet access. Is such a thing possible?

Eventually the marker popups and info control will both format coords according to user preference, what we have now is placeholder. Not sure whether I want to wrap to map bounds, I'll have to think about it (right now the validator only ensures it's numeric).

Your maps have improved my gaming experience greatly, and I have to thank you so much for making it. I made this forum account just to thank you.

Features I'd like to see/currently working on myself:

• DMS format for coordinates
  • Offline mode
  • Grid lines

I've read at least one other person besides me in this thread would like to see the popups in DMS format. I whipped up this quick little bit of code to convert the popups for anyone that's interested:

javascript:var a="(-?([0-9]*.[0-9]+|[0-9]+))",a=new RegExp(a+" : "+a),c=L.KSP.CelestialBody,i=document,j,k,d=i.createElement("style"),z="overlays";i.head.appendChild(d);d.sheet.insertRule(".leaflet-popup-content table{font-size:12px;text-align:right}",0);map.infoControl.options.dms=true;for(i in c)for(j in c[i][z])for(k in c[i][z][j]._layers)(d=c[i][z][j]._layers[k]._popup)._content=d._content.replace(a,function(a,b,a,a){return L.KSP.Control.Info.prototype._dmsFormatter({lat:b,lng:a})});

Or use the userscript version (tested with Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey):

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/377324

Tomorrow/eventually I'll work on making it toggle-able between DMS and decimal, and also remembering the selected preference. I'll work on offline mode tomorrow also, but it'll be much better if it's implemented in the map itself.

Edited by Lexxy Fox
Added userscript

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I love your maps and have been using them since it was just Kerbin and the moons. I would, however, like an ETA on the DMS coordinates as that is what my game (and MechJeb) are set to. Or if someone simply has a conversion equation that would be great! Keep up the great work and thank you for providing this awesome resource!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.