probe can turn without RCS why?

I have a stayputnik equipped with The PB-Ion Electric Propulsion System and a xenon fuel tank. Absolutely nothing else is fitted, no ASAS,RCS,nothing, yet it can turn around quite happily as if either RCS equipped or engine has thrust vectoring.

How can it do this?

Does the ion engine have thrust vectoring?

according to the wiki it thrusts one way only.

All of the command pods have built-in magic reaction wheels for rotation, so depending on the size of the probe you have, including all the engines, fuel tanks, etc, it will turn easily or with great slowness. SAS and ASAS only serve as stabilization systems (SAS kills rotation, ASAS tries to lock your attitude or heading) and RCS improves handling or makes it impossible (you have to place the ports evenly on both sides of the center of mass, and you also only need it for ships with lots of mass). Thrust vectoring allows you to steer by redirecting your acceleration, rotating the ship about its CoM.

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. That clears that up.

I have a stayputnik in Mun orbit, I had assumed that when the rcs fuel ran out on the LOX stage, i would be screwed regarding my retrograde burn when in Mun SOI, how happy I was (but confused) when the little silver ball turned on a sixpence. I then proceeded to do a (slow) burn as my ion engine only has enough juice for 1/10th throttle! I was even able to reduce my Pe for a Mun landing!

Edited by sjpateys

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.