Use payload shrouds and PAMs. . .

I downloaded the Sunday Punch pack (Love it!) and the SIDR parts kit (love that too!). I have been enjoying playing around with both, but I have noticed the various payload shrouds and adaptors.

What I really want to do is to create a rocket that can get you into orbit, launch a commsat with a PAM, then land crews back on Kerbin. But so far all of my efforts have come to naught.

Can someone please show me a simple way to set up the payload with a shroud, and launch it at the critical moment?

Thanks!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1977.0;attach=2159;image

Use the long decoupler posted by Sunday to attach the panels, the top decoupler is the LES escape tower blast shield, and use struts to brace the payload to the base. You need the SIDR parachute that allows top attaching. For a PAM, just put it between the blast deflector and the payload, and activate it on deployment.

Depending on how much fuel you have, you can set up the staging to cut loose the payload before or after the final stage. My design uses the final stage simply as crew return and doesn't need it for payload deployment, even from escape velocity.

Not having had a successful PAM firing yet, does the probe fly fairly stably, or does it go off in dangerous random directions? :)

Yes. ;)

ok, what you need to do is spin the spacecraft before firing the PAM. Give it 5 seconds or let it build up maximum rotational speeds. The spin will stabilize the payload while the PAM is firing. Otherwise the payload will just flip end over end.

What's odd is that when I fire the PAM with no main engine trust, the spacecraft will pass the payload while the PAM is still going. :-\

• 2 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread because after lots of attempts to follow the instructions above, I have NEVER YET managed to fit payload shrouds to one of my rockets.

Given the design of my Mun rocket, this would be revolutionary, so I\'d really like to get it right!

Accordingly; I have version 0.12 with the Nova/Punch pack. The brief is simple - Please, someone, give me step-by step instructions for fitting 2m payload shrouds to a rocket. It doesn\'t have to be a complex one, just simple; hopefully once I get it happening, I should be able to figure out what I have been doing wrong!

I updated the shrouds in one of the last updates, it now has a proper base to attach the first set of panels to, and then you attach each set on top of the next, with the cone last.

The old surface attach method was pretty hard to use (which is why I changed it to the \'new\' standard that Nova used in his new pack.