Planet Ribbons Redux

Unistrut

A few more vessel types for consideration: ships, submarines, and airships. NASA and other space agencies are seriously analyzing the use of airships to explore Venus and Titan (and I'm working on counterparts for Eve and Laythe), as well as boats for Titan and submarines for Europa and Enceladus. There's also thought about putting floating colonies on Venus, though I don't know that the distinction between airship and "floating colony" (or ship, or underwater colony vs. submarine) needs a separate device -- all of these vehicle types are pretty much one-way only and fairly permanent. I've put together some concepts for crewed and uncrewed vehicles. I've tried to make them so that the necessary details are visible when shrunk down to ribbon size (and given the gold texture), and if colored white, they could be used on the flag generator as well.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My main hangup is that airships and submarines are only available through mods at the moment. I suppose ships could stand for all watercraft and airships could fall under aircraft, although they don't stay aloft with "aerodynamic" forces, per se.

Any chance the flag generator could expand the palette of craft types to match what's available for ribbons?
Exactly what I was thinking a few minutes ago! ;)
I've decided to develop the Flag Generator as a separate app, after we get the new Ribbon Generator working.

Doing so will allow lots of customizations and additions, including crafts and whatever else folks want. It's gonna be great!

Edited by Ezriilc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What happened to custom arrangements? This layout is obviously easier to use and more user friendly, so no complaints, but I really liked being able to do a custom layout.

I contemplated including custom arrangements in the new generator, but then decided not to for 2 reasons.

1. In the US military, the order of the ribbons is quite strict, with only one proper way to show them, and...

2. It is possible to make a custom set by using Unistrut's images directly in an Image Editor like GIMP.

I'm pretty firm about this, but nothing is carved in stone. If lots of folks want it, then I will consider it.

Personally, I think one strict order is good because it makes identifying each ribbon easier for the casual observer. But that's just my 2 cents.

As far as military restrictions go, they have specific ordering. The loose rule is the 'stronger' ribbon goes higher up and closer to your heart. However, they always go in lines of three from bottom to top with the loose ones centered above. It's not like there are holes where medals you didn't earn go, as most service members are unlikely to earn every medal, so if you only have the Mun and Kerbin ribbons they'd still go side by side. After that there is one other military rule, when not in dress uniform you are authorized to only wear your top three ribbons. There are other stipulations once you earn so many they go up to your shoulder, but most service members do not have that problem.

However, editing the file myself is easy enough and quite possible. I guess it was just sort of fun to do it on the website.

As far as military restrictions go, they have specific ordering. The loose rule is the 'stronger' ribbon goes higher up and closer to your heart. However, they always go in lines of three from bottom to top with the loose ones centered above. It's not like there are holes where medals you didn't earn go, as most service members are unlikely to earn every medal, so if you only have the Mun and Kerbin ribbons they'd still go side by side. After that there is one other military rule, when not in dress uniform you are authorized to only wear your top three ribbons. There are other stipulations once you earn so many they go up to your shoulder, but most service members do not have that problem.

However, editing the file myself is easy enough and quite possible. I guess it was just sort of fun to do it on the website.

Well said. My overall point was that we don't get to choose what order to wear our ribbons - it's dictated by rules (whatever they may be). Hence no custom order in the generator.

In our case, the ribbon positions are loosely based on distance from Kerbin, but that's just because we needed pick something that makes some sense. If you have a different layout in mind, I'm eager to hear the logic of it. What we have now just seemed to work best, but is certainly not unchangeable. How would you arrange them if you had the custom order option?

Whatever way we decide to order them, I think uniformity from player to player is somewhat important. A casual observer may get confused if everyone's order is different.

Again, just my 2 cents. I don't want to dictate anything, and everything is up for debate.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, just a reminder, the URL to the Ribbon Generator has changed to:

http://www.Kerbaltek.com/ribbons

I recommend everyone update their links and bookmarks. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the first post to point to the new web page! Still haven't finished the boat icon.

The second child is harder than the first. You've got all that experience dealing with babies ... but you also still have to keep track of child #1 which more than makes up for it.

I've updated the first post to point to the new web page! Still haven't finished the boat icon.

The second child is harder than the first. You've got all that experience dealing with babies ... but you also still have to keep track of child #1 which more than makes up for it.

Excellent! Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
does a 1-launch ship sent to multiple bodies with a detachable/reattachable lander count as a multi part ship?

I'm not the creator of these ribbons or their rules, and this isn't my thread, but this is how I read the OP.

5.1 Craft Devices

- Multi-part Ship - An orbital construction capable of traveling to other worlds.

That tells me that the ship must be constructed in orbit, from pieces launched separately, and just having a re-attachable lander doesn't necessarily qualify.

But that's just my interpretation, which is not gospel.

I'd say:

Multiple launches, assembled somewhere, goes somewhere else - multi part ship, or station/base if you want.

Multiple launches, assembled somewhere, stays there - station/base.

One launch - station/base if justifiable from the shape otherwise ship/lander/whatever.

• 3 months later...

My I suggest something for the grand tour, basically on which difficulty it has been done.

I would say something in the back colour of the grand shield.

one colour band on the percentage of the game 10%,50%,100%, (easy) for money,rep and science.(starting conditions not changed or lower) (not on rep los or money loss due cancelation, as this makes things mostly one repetitive andseldom applicable)

one colour band for save, reverd, hard core.

one colour bend for done for all and recover all kerbal involved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.