Planet Ribbons Redux

Unistrut

• 2 weeks later...

I know you said not to mention anything about silver and bronze but I think my idea on how to use them is something that you will consider ok. My idea is just for the orbit and landingpips of the grand tour. I think bronze should represent one body orbited/landed silver 2 bodies and gold 3 bodies. This allows you to show all planets orbited or landed on not just 7. This was just a thought I had I just want your opinion on if a system like this would be something your interested in.

DemonBoii, you can find the ribbon maker in the first post of the thread which your (moved) post now occupies. :D

Hawkinator, moved yours too so everything is in its place and there's a place for everything.

Edited by Vanamonde

• 1 month later...

I`ve been everywhere with lots of different craft. One of the first things I did was the grandmaster challenge and landed a kerbal on every body in the system. I have probed, landed, set up stations, bases etc etc etc.

I wanted to show this wealth of exploration on my ribbon. I was dissapointed when I could only show one of the ways I had been to a planet.

I went the route of having just a flag. Means I have placed a lander and kerbal on a body, they lived and planted a flag.

It would be nice to have pips of some sort to show the many ways a body can be reached. Not very big but some sign you have put a probe, lander, kerbal, flag, multpart ship and base on a planet instead of just a flag...

They could be on the center stripe...

oKRYBLV.png

Each position is a set type of mission. Top left for example could always be a lander. Top right a base and so forth. Then you could get a full set of pips for each body.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

I find today that there is one obvious ribbon missing, even more important considering Science and early Career missions - Flyby/Gravity assist.

Which is quite important in real life; I mean, just look at the Cassini-Huygens trajectory:

500px-Cassini_interplanet_trajectory.svg.png

See, multiple gravity assists. In KSP you can easily get multiple flybys in Jool system and even beginners are going to get Mun flybys before landing. So I think this should really be implemented IMHO :)

• 1 month later...
Hello there,

I find today that there is one obvious ribbon missing, even more important considering Science and early Career missions - Flyby/Gravity assist.

Which is quite important in real life; I mean, just look at the Cassini-Huygens trajectory:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Cassini_interplanet_trajectory.svg/500px-Cassini_interplanet_trajectory.svg.png

See, multiple gravity assists. In KSP you can easily get multiple flybys in Jool system and even beginners are going to get Mun flybys before landing. So I think this should really be implemented IMHO :)

If this is implemented, it should be a right-hand craft device, like how the Meteor and Impactor devices aren't actually a type of craft, but rather descriptive of what happens to the crafts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'M ALIIIIIIVE

Babies, they take up a lot of time.

I'm currently working on something for asteroids. They're strange enough that I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. Just to start with, they have no SOI, so you can't enter it. No gravity as far as I have encountered, so you can't really land on it. I think I've worked out a solution though:

So, instead of SOI, ribbon acquire is get within 2.2 Km. Ship icons are as normal. Orbital icons are used to indicate what you've managed to achieve with said asteroid. So, if you manage to get one into a stable orbit, orbit dot. Get it into the various special orbits, get the shiny bits as per the requirements. Soft land an asteroid, get challenge wreath.

Just a question: are we free to use the ribbon graphics (with a given credit) in KSP mods?

Yeah, pretty much. I just ask that you don't use orbit bars without the orbit dot over them. They've got some shading that looks frikkin' terrible without the dot on top. If you need to make custom ribbons for your own planets I took screenshots of the original Kerbin system worlds and used those to pick two colours for each world, three colours for Kerbol. Satellites have sidebars coloured like their parent planets. If you've got something that is a satellite of a satellite, I'd do left/right, left main planet, right satellite. If you recurse past that ... I have no idea what you should do.

I would have treated the asteroids simply as another type of ship. Possibly with distinct icons for an one just directed by, one put into a stable orbit, and one landed. That would let me for example make a ribbon to say I put an asteroid in orbit around Duna.

Or maybe it could be a completely separate device, perhaps placed just below the ship one. That might in turn allow some space or designs to indicate the size classes.

zkMsyc0.png

Just using the grey makes them look too much like Dres, so I've given them the moon treatment, only using the Kerbol colours as they technically are orbiting the big K. I made a version with Kerbol on the left and Kerbin on the right (with the idea that more variations would be added for asteroids that were close to other planets, but it looked lopsided due to the vast difference in the intensities of the colours on the two sides. I probably will also make an asteroid ship device just so that when one of you crazy people decides to name one the "Party Rock" and drag it all over the solar system you can let us know where it's been.

So this would indicate that I got within 2.2km of an asteroid (ribbon), grabbed it with a lander (device right), rendezvoused with said asteroid with a second vessel (rendezvous cross left) and then hauled it into a polar orbit around Kerbin (orbit dot and polar bar left). I've also had one of the visiting craft return home (return chevron right). He left the surface sample in the other craft though, so I got no science.

Edited by Unistrut

Here's a thought: Rather than give all asteroids the sun-colored moon modifier on the sides, why not make that change based on what body the asteroid is around? For example, I asteroids captured around Kerbin would have the standard blue and green, those captured and parked over the Mun or Minmus would have their colors, and those that weren't captured and went flying off around the sun again would keep the same coloring the ribbon has now. This would work out well to show off any neat maneuvering or chance encounters people ran into, or even extend out beyond Kerbin and its moons for the truly ambitious/crazy people who have taken asteroids to other planets or moons. Like the one I put around Ike (long live the boulder!).

Two potential problems - first off, the Kerbin asteroid ribbon would basically be identical to the Mun ribbon (only so many shades of grey out there) and the second is that you might wind up with dozens of the AEROGELs cluttering up your bar. I guess we could do a striped sidebar and suggest only using one asteroid ribbon using the standard "your FAVORITE or the most AWESOME taking precedence". In your case, you'd use Ike, since recreating the [REDACTED] is very awesome.

Zr3pFjo.png

Edited by Unistrut

• 4 weeks later...

New Version!

Currently on Mediafire as I have not yet figured out how to upload things to Curse. I might get around to it, I might not.

I decided to go with a ribbon for asteroids, with side decorations indicating what planet said asteroid is in orbit around as trying to make an asteroid device just wound up looking like you had a potato stuck to your ribbon. So you get your asteroid ribbon for getting with 2.2km of an asteroid. You get an orbit dot for hauling the asteroid into orbit around something. You get the various other left hand devices for achieving things with your pet asteroid.

My eternal awe to whichever of you FINE PEOPLE first manages to get flight wings on their asteroid ribbon.

As always, pick one asteroid mission - your FAVORITE or most AWESOME - and use one ribbon. Unless you want to make a bar of nothing but "places I have dragged asteroids to", which would be mildly entertaining.

This pack also includes a single bar for those doing mod work. The original orbit bars are shaded to go under the orbit dot and look terrible without it.

Edited by Unistrut

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.