Rareden's Projects

Rareden

Well Rareden, it looks like you are just in time for the 2000th post! Rejoice! (what, you don't have something celebratory ready for us? ;.;)

wow really, 2000 posts, well there will be a video out very shortly, so i guess that could count as celebratory.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rareden... Do you have the texture you used for Duna in this shot handy?

ikeq.jpg

I'm unsure exactly how you got it to look so pretty but I'm wondering if I could turn that into an in-game texture for Duna. It would be interesting to see what could come out of it.

Hey Rareden... Do you have the texture you used for Duna in this shot handy?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img707/3137/ikeq.jpg

I'm unsure exactly how you got it to look so pretty but I'm wondering if I could turn that into an in-game texture for Duna. It would be interesting to see what could come out of it.

Link is broken

Odd... It works on my phone xD

Re-upload to Imgur:

http://i.imgur.com/aMmZKb8.jpg

Your testing my memory with that one, i think it was a mix of the standard duna diffuse texture blended with a bit of procedural maps, and the height map was the standard duna mixed with the normal map.

I did mess around with generating planets and adding them with the planet factory mod, got a weird bug with the distant space model being far smaller than the actual planet, so when you got within 400km or so it would suddenly get huge as it switchs to the actual terrain mesh.

I've always loved the deep and varied coloration of the surface of it and I was curious if you still had the original texture around :). I doubted it would be in standard KSP planet format if you had it regardless though. Still one can dream...

Another thing I noted in this picture was the addition of rivets in the RTG's. I might end up adding those to my own RTG textures. Looks nice! - If you ever end up doing other renders and want interesting variations on stock textures you might wanna check this out. ;)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

• 1 month later...
I've always loved the deep and varied coloration of the surface of it and I was curious if you still had the original texture around :). I doubted it would be in standard KSP planet format if you had it regardless though. Still one can dream...

Another thing I noted in this picture was the addition of rivets in the RTG's. I might end up adding those to my own RTG textures. Looks nice! - If you ever end up doing other renders and want interesting variations on stock textures you might wanna check this out. ;)

well ok, apparently my reply never got posted,

I may be able to convert it to a usable ksp format, i did mess around with planet factory mod but had a weird issue with terrain planet scale vs the scaled space model, never got around to finding out what was causing it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an odd request: Would it be possible for you to stitch ~6-8 screenshots together into a panoramic? I happened to test-fly a shuttle during an awe-inspiring kerbin sunset, so I took a bunch of shots from several different angles. I'll send you the screenshots if you're able to, and I'll be posting the craft file soon anyways.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Rareden,

Awesome job with the pics! I saw in the comments that it takes you somewhat longer to get cloud and planet textures.  You coul dtry out my visual pack. It looks hell like reality, and it could save you an awful lot of time with planets.

Please consider,

Avionix

• 1 month later...

Hello there,
First, let me tell you that your work is really great: I really enjoy your pictures. I wanted to know if it would be possible for me to use one of these as a background for a website and, if so, how should I credit your work ?

Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/02/2016 at 8:59 PM, KazanNinja said:

Hi Rareden, regarding to the shots from "Voyager" specifically the one with Jool and Vall, how did you get so much detail into the craters and landscape of Vall? Are they procedural maps or something?

Thanks, great work btw

Yea all procedural, fractals to create the main mountains, then various smaller ones to create hills and craters. Then erosion applied over it all and textured based on erosion as well as some hand painting.

On 06/05/2016 at 8:31 AM, Lowbaka said:

Hello there,
First, let me tell you that your work is really great: I really enjoy your pictures. I wanted to know if it would be possible for me to use one of these as a background for a website and, if so, how should I credit your work ?

Thanks !

Yea go for it

On 03/03/2016 at 4:58 AM, RocketSquid said:

I have an odd request: Would it be possible for you to stitch ~6-8 screenshots together into a panoramic? I happened to test-fly a shuttle during an awe-inspiring kerbin sunset, so I took a bunch of shots from several different angles. I'll send you the screenshots if you're able to, and I'll be posting the craft file soon anyways.

Sure I'll give it a go,

Sorry, I keep forgetting to check in on this site.

On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:50 AM, Third_OfFive said:

Holy crap, this is amazing, Rareden. I can only hope to one day even come close to being as good as you.

Im sure you can, im no expert.

• 4 weeks later...

So the trees in the photo of the B9 aircraft and the hyper realistic volumetric clouds, you created the tree models yourself (On some editing software) and I'm assuming used another program to procedurally place them throughout the landscape? And to the clouds, could you explain how in the world you got clouds like those? I have to assume you created everything and injected it all into the game yourself. I'm getting a pretty high powered rig soon, so I'd just like to know how to create a KSP that looks as good as your pictures do.

2 hours ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

So the trees in the photo of the B9 aircraft and the hyper realistic volumetric clouds, you created the tree models yourself (On some editing software) and I'm assuming used another program to procedurally place them throughout the landscape? And to the clouds, could you explain how in the world you got clouds like those? I have to assume you created everything and injected it all into the game yourself. I'm getting a pretty high powered rig soon, so I'd just like to know how to create a KSP that looks as good as your pictures do.

None of the images used the game itself, it's all CG art with some post-pro (however most of the images include some assets extracted from the game, which were then manipulated and rendered in 3D software). There are a myriad of technical and practical reasons why it would be impossible to make KSP look that good, however there are some visual mods that can help a little, such as EVE and Scatterer.

Edited by Chickenkeeper
Forgot to mention asset extraction

Just now, Chickenkeeper said:

None of the images used the game itself, it's all CG art with some post-pro. There are a myriad of technical and practical reasons why it would be impossible to make KSP look that good, however there are some visual mods that can help a little, such as EVE and Scatterer.

Gotchya! TBH in the back of my head I was thinking the same thing but at the same time hoping that instinct was incorrect. I guess I'll just have to wait until I get a powerful enough rig to run KSPRC and some other stuff. Thanks for the reply!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.