[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

I've used struts, but I don't think it's mechjeb - my ships fall apart on the runway before I even turn on the engines - like they can't even handle the force of gravity on the joints.

Ahh see there's the difference, my cargo bays have been on a multi-satellite launch shuttle, so they start in the vertical position already. You might need to put landing gear under each section or something, at least until an update can fix.

On a related note, isn't it possible to add a strength stat to any piece that helps to determine it's breaking point, similar to the stat that the struts use? I assume if one isn't defined it just uses some default value which is pretty weak....

Very nice man, this attention to detail is fantastic. I can't fault any of it, the only suggestion I would make is maybe cut the pack into a couple of parts, that is one big pack.

Is it normal for the cargo-bay doors to be open while on the launchpad? If so, is there a way to alter the code so that they remain open in the VAB but load up closed on the pad?

Yes, and no. The alternative is to have them closed by default, which makes it pretty hard to put things in the cargo bay in the VAB/SPH.

There's a KSP feature called Tweakables which will let you do things like close the cargo doors and toggle landing gear/legs in the VAB/SPH, but that's still some ways off.

ejdZ2ZG.png

Changelog:

â–¼ R2.4 // Current version

Complete rebalancing of part mass, crash tolerances, capacities and other parameters. Should result in much more sturdy and nice flying crafts.

Warning! Wings structure had to be changed to solve the main source of issues with FAR. Point of origin was moved to attachment point for all wings (with the move compensated through CoMOffset parameter). Unfortunately, this can break existing modular wing setups you are using. Won't happen again.

Added two example crafts:

- D-175 Strugatsky heavy transport plane

- BRV-4 Heinlein SSTO spaceplane

Added new parts:

- S2 widebody 1.25m engine mount (S2W->S2+4x1.25m adapter)

- S2 large crew tank (6m, 6 seats)

- S2 monopropellant tank

- A65 2m semi-span delta wing (additional piece for the modular wing system)

Restored C125 adapter that was mistakenly removed onwards from R2.

Fixed large structural S2 fuselage section model, should no longer exhibit z-figthing issues.

Fixed interior display emissive animation to be less noticeable.

Texture improvements on some parts.

This update would be impossible without Taverius. He did a tremendous work with checking and editing every single config in the project. Hats off to that! Note: The main source of issues with modular wings under FAR was fixed. Unfortunately, 4x4m delta wing can occasionally work improperly, the reason for that is being investigated. Overall, though, the situation is much better, with 500% less spontaneous explosions!

S2 widebody engine mount screenshots:

aiokwiTm.jpg

aUtIkHdm.jpg

vOdNJN9m.jpg

Edit: Here is the download link for the crafts! http://www./?mxrlrmg6ww74nvm

Edited by bac9

Very nice! Impressive work with the S2 Widebody engine mounts, and thanks to you and Taverius with the fixes. That's going to come in handy, I'm sure. I am curious if you're planning on releasing an S2 widebody cargobay some time in the future. I'm sure it won't be out for awhile either way, since its likely not an easy thing to put together. Just curious so I can plan for it (or not) in the future on my SSTO designs.

EDIT - Also, these parts still fall apart and explode. Indeed, I just had a cockpit accelerated to about 500 meters a second before I had even really begun my takeoff roll simply due to the plane vaporising behind it. Admittedly, getting to orbit by having your ship explode behind you does seem uniquely... Kerbal, its probably not intended. If I use struts to try to reinforce things, that makes the... explosion even more vigorous. Anyway, a temporary problem, I'm sure.

Edited by Firov

Can we get some in-game shots rather than pre-rendered ones please? thanks.

What difference does that make? And last one is from Unity anyway, lighting is identical to KSP. If you are referring to ambient occlusion, it's not rendered, but baked into the texture. Won't go anywhere in KSP.

Edited by bac9

Just tried the BRV-4 Heinlein from the newest update, but it says it is missing part "bxss".

However, the Strugatsky is pretty awesome and flies really well up to 3x even. (but don't try and take it to 4x speed, or it will magically disappear!)

Keep up the great work!

Just tried the BRV-4 Heinlein from the newest update, but it says it is missing part "bxss".

However, the Strugatsky is pretty awesome and flies really well up to 3x even. (but don't try and take it to 4x speed, or it will magically disappear!)

Keep up the great work!

That's what I get for making planes at 2:30 am. Its been fixed, so the crafts link should have the fixed version.

Otherwise, do a search and replace in the craft, change all instances of 'bxss' to 'smallHardpoint'.

Keep up the great work!

Noticing the stock aircraft you included, I just tried the Strugatsky and even it explosively tore itself to pieces on the runway. I'm using the FAR version. Maybe its related somehow.

Noticing the stock aircraft you included, I just tried the Strugatsky and even it explosively tore itself to pieces on the runway. I'm using the FAR version. Maybe its related somehow.

That's ... very strange, as it doesn't happen here. The wings do have issues in FAR, but that one should have been solved. Will take a look tomorrow.

One more thing, the S2 and S2 Widebody do not have the same central width (I.e. do not really connect properly).

All the widebody are the same scale, and all the standard S2 are the same, but there is a scale difference between them.

Is this an accident?

That's intentional, S2 and S2W are 2 different bodies and you have to use one of the adapters to connect between the two. Right now there's only 2 but more will come.

First of all, GLORIOUS job with this mod.

All I'm left wanting now are proper adapter transitions between S2->HL and S2 -> 2.5m -edit, just saw you added the 2.5 in this update! Nice!

PS. - Can't wait for the Mk5 IVA interior!

Edited by Malv

Taverius, if I can do anything to help you solve this, provide any logs, take video, whatever you need, just let me know. I love the concept of this mod, and while everything is made from nitroglycerin at the moment, I think its got a lot of promise.

That's ... very strange, as it doesn't happen here. The wings do have issues in FAR, but that one should have been solved. Will take a look tomorrow.

That's intentional, S2 and S2W are 2 different bodies and you have to use one of the adapters to connect between the two. Right now there's only 2 but more will come.

i rebuilt my space shuttle from the ground up and got the same result:

as soon as it starts moving, it disintegrates.

i noticed some weird CoL shifting while assembling the wings where it would either be completely on one side of the craft despite there being two wings or it would be less extremely off-center but more than the usual CoL hiccup you get when building aircraft