[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

I wish the pack contains parts for an aircraft that can be used as spaceplane, can pick up command pods with KAS into a cargo bay, can pick up lost kerbals, is more stable than VTOL, can land on slopes, and can move really fast through the atmosphere because 8 hours to pick up a rescue pod from the other side of kerbin is booooooooooooooooooring, and murphy's law always makes things crash after seven and a half hour flying, 15 minutes flying is more than enough.

What kind of... thing would that be?

I see the issue even with B9 v2.5, and the only other parts mod I have is NovaPunch remix, which uses the old .dae models, on top of a handful of plugin mods. What is the memory limit of KSP? I have Win7 and 8GB of RAM, but in guessing it's 32-bit and so can only use ~3GB of RAM.

Yup. Because the gaming industry is stuck in 2005, its still catering to 32bit users.

Which is inexplicable, as windows 7 comes with both 32 and 64, and you can get 8 gigs of ram for $50.

That would solve soooooo many problems for a game like ksp... The b9 pack is a great example. It would be no big deal to run mods this large with access to 5 gigs of ram.

What kind of... thing would that be?

MechJeb

You can build what you ask for with the currently available parts, just let mechjeb do the work where you feel you have problems with it. Especially the long flight to and from the "landing" site.

Thought id share my rendition of the An-225

2013-05-30_00002_zps66b25864.jpg

2013-05-30_00003_zps4b55b2a0.jpg

2013-05-30_00004_zpsab1c3676.jpg

Just waiting on those jumbo jet engines for the more realistic touches

Tried putting the wings in the propper place but for some reason the control surfaces reverse after middle craft height which makes controlling this monster impossible real fun flying in reverse

Edited by moxzot

So what's the fastest jet-engine-only aircraft that people have made?

I made one that can travel at 1,400m/s at a steady altitude of ~30KM. It has enough fuel to fly all the way around the globe in under an hour, including takeoff and landing. Here is a screenshot of an older revision. I added a few more intakes to it to assist at higher altitudes.

F6FB8BC5B461E912B8708F2B865C78759AD9D9D6

You could try the 500 thrust turbofans from the firespitter pack, I don't use them personally because they seem a little too powerful, and I don't do a lot of in-atmosphere flight, but they would probably be ideal for your jet :)

Stock it was 1600m/s at 20km didnt have enough air or I could have gone faster and higher

Edit: Now if we are talking large jet powered aircraft 20km 900m/s

Edited by moxzot

Stock it was 1600m/s at 20km didnt have enough air or I could have gone faster and higher

Edit: Now if we are talking large jet powered aircraft 20km 900m/s

You really need to spam air-intakes to get above X altitude, and it kind of detracts from the difficulty. Not to mention, cutting thrust to save on air 'fuel' helps a little bit too.

You could try the 500 thrust turbofans from the firespitter pack, I don't use them personally because they seem a little too powerful, and I don't do a lot of in-atmosphere flight, but they would probably be ideal for your jet :)

500 thrust turbofan? I don't have that in my firespitter pack...whats it look like??

You really need to spam air-intakes to get above X altitude, and it kind of detracts from the difficulty. Not to mention, cutting thrust to save on air 'fuel' helps a little bit too.

I do all my planes one intake one engine

500 thrust turbofan? I don't have that in my firespitter pack...whats it look like??

It looks more like the turbofan from a 747, let me double check it could be from another pack, tho I don't have many installed

It looks more like the turbofan from a 747, let me double check it could be from another pack, tho I don't have many installed

Found it, it's actually from the MK4 fuse pack

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mk4-fuselage-system/

There's a picture of the engine right there on spaceport. Doesn't match b9 exactly but it works :)

ahh that engine looks a bit cartoonish like its over scale and under detailed

Edit: could be the lack of shading cause its plain white

Edit: second thought it might be the yellow on the blades idk just something i dont like about it

Edited by moxzot

Yeah that's another reason I didn't use it, but changing its scale is Extremely simple, and a re-texture for someone with those skills wouldn't be too hard from what I've heard. For a test I mounted 6 of them to a 150L jet fuel tank with a mk1 pod on it, launched it straight up to see what apoapsis it would hit, 160km :) nice and powerful, a good starting point for a nice engine.

ahh that engine looks a bit cartoonish like its over scale and under detailed

Edit: could be the lack of shading cause its plain white

Edit: second thought it might be the yellow on the blades idk just something i dont like about it

Yellow?! I see it as orange...I been callin it the pumpkin engine

Yellow?! I see it as orange...I been callin it the pumpkin engine

well i was looking at the small photo cant see it to well i guess well actually the blade in the sun is yellow in the photo

Yeah that's another reason I didn't use it, but changing its scale is Extremely simple, and a re-texture for someone with those skills wouldn't be too hard from what I've heard. For a test I mounted 6 of them to a 150L jet fuel tank with a mk1 pod on it, launched it straight up to see what apoapsis it would hit, 160km :) nice and powerful, a good starting point for a nice engine.

have you seen its texture file i think anyone could do it if there were good at art

I haven't looked honestly, but since you mentioned it I may take a crack at it. Nothing will probably come out of it, but I'll try anyway lol. I know for sure not to expect anything from me for the next month tho, I have 6 more days of work then I'm flying across the country to spend a month with my family, and hopefully a month of ksp free time with my 16 month old :D

When I get back however, I'll give it a shot!

Edited by HoY

So, are you going to release it once 0.20.2 comes out? Devs said it's just around the corner, it'll include a fix for the PNG bug.

We're going over the configs one last time and such, so depending on how fast we finish and Squad gets 0.20.2 out, yeah, as soon as its out.

Please try to remember we a) don't get paid for this (bac9 gets paid to do other stuff for Squad) and B) we have to like, sleep and eat occasionally :D

We're going over the configs one last time and such, so depending on how fast we finish and Squad gets 0.20.2 out, yeah, as soon as its out.

Please try to remember we a) don't get paid for this (bac9 gets paid to do other stuff for Squad) and B) we have to like, sleep and eat occasionally :D

What? modders sleep too?...

Sleep is a totally inadequate substitute for caffeine.

But unlike caffeine, sleep can prevent you from drooling on yourself as you work. Or so I've heard. I've yet to have it make a difference. :confused:

It will load fine in 0.20.1, but it will use waaaaaay more memory than it should, so depending on how many other mods you are running and what textures they use you might crash on load from lack of memory.

You can always backup your steam KSP directory and try it out. If it crashes for you, go back 0.20.0. Squad is aware of the issue, so hopefully we'll have a fix soon.

Until then, we've decided not to release 3.0, as loading JUST 3.0 would crash KSP on a 32-bit machine running 0.20.1.

Don't worry, we won't spend the time partying like the patricians we are, we'll spend it making 3.0 better.

... whoops, gotta go, the gladiators are here.

What makes it 3.0 and not, say, 2.1 or so? I mean 3.0 usually denotes a large content upgrade. Like an expansion pack for a game would, for instance.