[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

I am working with the cargo bay, and somehow i selected it to be closed in the SPH and when i go to the runway. Now I cant figure out how to open them in the SPH again!

HELP!

That can be really difficult especially with smaller parts. It's a lot easier if you just have parts clipping enabled and place parts on top of parts / inside parts. Only struts would require being inside other parts like that, AFAIK. But still good to know that's possible too.
yes your right, and sometimes i have to clip one part and cram into place to get my original part in place. I run into this with DR alot. But im hoping Sirkut form Magic industries will just rework everything, He is doing a great job so far

Hi, I've just spent the last few hours trying to get B9 to work. It's kind of a weird issue and I could really use some help. Installing B9 on my old install worked fine, and everything worked...but due to old and outdated mods and having a messy bunch of files of forgotten purpose, I chose to completely reinstall KSP.

So far, all I have installed is KSP, MechJeb, and B9. But NO MATTER WHAT I DO, when I load up the game, most of the B9 parts don't have proper context menus. For example...the Strugatsky (large plane with cargo doors that comes with B9) loads up missing most of its control groups...and when I go into the action groups screen, most of the parts don't have their proper clickable buttons that would allow me to assign them. Whenever I click the cargo bays, there are NO options to open/close it. etc.

Another example is with any of the VTOL craft. You have to use control groups for them, and since the normal options don't come up, I can't use them at all.

Another thing I've noticed is that NONE of the popup boxes show up anymore, like the ones that show up when clicking a cargo bay door in the control-group screen, or when using the "data chip" part that brings up a message every time you hit the launchpad.

I've done everything I can think of and have reinstalled everything multiple times, and I can't find a post anywhere about it. Anyone know what's going on?

TLDR: For some reason, B9 action groups only work on old install, but not on any new installs.

Edited by Amurka

Hi, I've just spent the last few hours trying to get B9 to work. It's kind of a weird issue and I could really use some help. Installing B9 on my old install worked fine, and everything worked...but due to old and outdated mods and having a messy bunch of files of forgotten purpose, I chose to completely reinstall KSP.

So far, all I have installed is KSP, MechJeb, and B9. But NO MATTER WHAT I DO, when I load up the game, most of the B9 parts don't have proper context menus. For example...the Strugatsky (large plane with cargo doors that comes with B9) loads up missing most of its control groups...and when I go into the action groups screen, most of the parts don't have their proper clickable buttons that would allow me to assign them. Whenever I click the cargo bays, there are NO options to open/close it. etc.

Another example is with any of the VTOL craft. You have to use control groups for them, and since the normal options don't come up, I can't use them at all.

Another thing I've noticed is that NONE of the popup boxes show up anymore, like the ones that show up when clicking a cargo bay door in the control-group screen, or when using the "data chip" part that brings up a message every time you hit the launchpad.

I've done everything I can think of and have reinstalled everything multiple times, and I can't find a post anywhere about it. Anyone know what's going on?

TLDR: For some reason, B9 action groups only work on old install, but not on any new installs.

Sounds like you are missing the plugins that make b9 stuff work. Everything in the gamedata folder that comes with b9 has to be in your gamedata folder. Not just the b9 folder. All of them. They aren't just suggestions, they are requisite.

engines are a bit OP compared to vanila in terms of mass-isp-thrust

also why RCS and fuel tanks are in control and structural tabs?

also what's the difference between two MK2 nose cones except slight texture differences?

Edited by gendalf

Amurka it should look like this

Gamedata/

B9_Aerospace

ExsurgentEngineering

Firespitter

KineTechAnimation

ResGen

Plus what ever else mods you have

This is exactly what it looks like. I merged all the necessary folders in the right places. As I said before. The install works, but I only get the full features on the older version (all the parts are there on both, but I only get functionality on the install I did on the old/non 21.1 install).

And a tail without a ramp for the HL fuselage? Actually, both a raised and an unraised such tail would be awesome. Especially if they come in fuel-filled varieties (like the various adapters etc.).

I read back a few pages and couldn't see anything about it. Is the SAS updated or not? Mine still flaps about like crazy...

It should be... Try applying the newest version, if you haven't already. Also remember that old saves may not work as intended with the new parts...

It should be... Try applying the newest version, if you haven't already. Also remember that old saves may not work as intended with the new parts...

[strikethrough]Dunno what the problem is. Fresh install of R3.3 on a fresh .21 save and all of my control surfaces freak out...[/strikethrough]

I think I may have just been overdoing it with control surfaces lol. Was using the largest ones on a very small .craft. I downsized and it's running like a dream.

Edited by crooks4hire

[strikethrough]Dunno what the problem is. Fresh install of R3.3 on a fresh .21 save and all of my control surfaces freak out...[/strikethrough]

I think I may have just been overdoing it with control surfaces lol. Was using the largest ones on a very small .craft. I downsized and it's running like a dream.

Yeah, usually just a single control surface per wing works fine... Also remember- SAS now comes in two varieties- attitude control, which adds on to the pitch/roll capabilities of the craft and avionics ("SAS-Equipped" in the part description), which let the autopilot use the control surfaces for attitude control.

Yeah, usually just a single control surface per wing works fine... Also remember- SAS now comes in two varieties- attitude control, which adds on to the pitch/roll capabilities of the craft and avionics ("SAS-Equipped" in the part description), which let the autopilot use the control surfaces for attitude control.

It does? huh cool, can you expand on the differences a bit more and maybe give some part numbers, you have piqued my interest.

It does? huh cool, can you expand on the differences a bit more and maybe give some part numbers, you have piqued my interest.

I think the official update notes explain it sufficiently. That or the KSP Wiki...

But basically, you have your attitude control, which before .21 was basically a generic amount of torque, now represented as your craft's ability to pitch and roll, and their effectiveness (the speed at which you pitch/roll).

Here's a pic (you're real lucky I'm playing right now, else I wouldn't have bothered):

2013_08_04_00001_by_akutou-d6gihlu.jpg

The values you see in the description under "Contains Reaction Wheels" represent the attitude control capabilities of that pod, the higher the values the faster the craft will turn in that particular vector. You can add to those values by adding reaction wheels from the Control parts tab.

SAS is used to adjust control surfaces on wings ho help with attitude control, instead of only using the attitude control capabilities of the available reaction wheels. SAS will now also employ reaction control thrusters and engine gimbals, a role previously filled by "Advanced SAS".

The difference between a pod or avionics unit (or an Advanced Stability Control Unit, or what-have-you) and a straight up reaction wheel is that a reaction wheel is not equipped with SAS, which means that even if you have a reaction wheel on your ship, it won't have SAS capability (unless otherwise available). Since pretty much every pod is SAS-Equipped, you shouldn't really worry.

You can merge folders in Mac OS X by dragging the usual way but by holding down 'alt' before dropping and then select "Keep Newer" from the pop-up dialog.

That's not what happens.

Holding the Option key while dragging and dropping a file or folder from one window to another will copy the file into the new window, leaving an identical copy in its original place.

If there is an existing item with the same name as the one you are copying, a dialog will appear asking if you want to replace it, but it will overwrite the thing. Only when you select multiple files (not folders and certainly not nested folders nor the files therein) and drag them into a window with similarly named files do you get the option to swap in only the newer files, and the option key doesn't even come into play there..

Bug report:

On the HL Cargo Bay 8m (the 2m version), docking cargo leads to the cargo to immediately drop through the floor on the non-attached end. It simply ignores collision with the cargo bay. Upon undocking, it either "jumps" up again if it's lightweight enough, but heavy cargo (which hangs too deep) it will immediately collide and explode fiercely. I tried docking with the KAS winch first with this effect, but also using the stock docking ports leads to the same result. Undocked collision is fine and allows me to drive up or pull cargo up, but as soon as it switches to "Docked", stuff falls through.

I also built a testbed ramp and platform with the stock structure panels and no "Falling through" there, so it must be something B9-related, I assume.

I'd love a fix for this. I love the cargo bays, but with no means to properly secure the cargo for supersonic atmospheric flight the cargo rarely makes it to the destination in one piece. And the wobbly stuff looks and flies awful...

Using KAS docking: B5JnVp0s.jpg PNNF9Dls.jpg

Using stock docking ports: ueoYkE8s.jpg pnZNe4ms.jpg

Can anyone tell me why the engines automatically throttle down sometimes? When i'm flying at a height of 1000 m, the engines only put out ~75 kN, but if i activate the airbrakes/start pitching up, they will start to put out their full ~115 kN. This is annoying, as, even though it might save fuel, it keeps me from testing how fast my plane can go. Has it got something to do with this?

atmosphereCurve
{
// Based on Isp/TSFC data from NASA EngineSim, and Kerbin atmo.
key = 0 1731 0 -8600000
key = 7.5E-06 1675 0 0
key = 0.0006 1781 0 0
key = 0.11 1715 0 0
key = 1 1800 120 0
}

Or this?

velocityCurve
{
// Based on Fnet data from NASA EngineSim, curve fitted with MuMech CurveEd
key = 0 1 0 -0.004
key = 200 0.67 0 0
key = 300 0.44 -0.008 -0.008
key = 350 0 -0.01 0
}

Which engines are you referring to? Do you have MechJeb installed? If yes, check Throttle Control/Utilities (depending on version) and see if it has "smooth throttle", or any other options on besides to prevent overheats (especially stuff like preventing jet flameout or managing intakes)...

Also, certain engines have different optimal altitudes, some are more effective at higher atmospheres, while other tend to flame out at even the 5-8km mark...

Do you mean actually reducing the throttle or do you mean you hear the engine start to slow down and produce less thrust while the throttle itself stays 100% open?

In the first case it could be MechJeb, trying to prevent flame-out, over-heat or staying below terminal velocity. The second, and I do believe more likely in your situation, is due to the fact engines aren't as efficient at every altitude. Most KSP engines produce significantly more thrust above 15km than they do at sea level.

Edit: Darn, ninja'd on all points. :(

Thanks for the explanation, though it doesn't explain why it seemed to work on my stock panel platform. After revisiting that one, I found that there apparently are some oddities and the "no self-collision"-rule is not absolute. When doing multiple test runs, sometimes the whole cargo dropped through the platform, sometimes only parts (usually the wheels, with the main body resting on the platform).

So that's where my confusion came from.

Sadly, Quantum Struts are only a crude workaround as well. While they do "autosnap" to the cargo if placed right, they also have a tiny delay after docking until they trigger. For heavy loads this suffices to let the entire wheelbase drop through the floor before they lock, leading to the same fiery disaster on undocking.

:( . And here I was having big plans for my cargo planes...

Do you mean actually reducing the throttle or do you mean you hear the engine start to slow down and produce less thrust while the throttle itself stays 100% open?

In the first case it could be MechJeb, trying to prevent flame-out, over-heat or staying below terminal velocity. The second, and I do believe more likely in your situation, is due to the fact engines aren't as efficient at every altitude. Most KSP engines produce significantly more thrust above 15km than they do at sea level.

Edit: Darn, ninja'd on all points. :(

It's the second thing. The thing is, that if I activate the airbrakes on my plane, the engines will start to produce more thrust to compensate for it, even though I stay on the same altitude. I still have suspicions to the "velocityCurve" thingy.

uh i have been experiencing a weird glitch that causes none of the S2 parts to appear except for the cockpit and the adapter but whenever i look in the parts folder they are all there so why is this happening?