[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

No I think I understand. That is exactly what I said. So now your pack is 100x bigger to speed up loading times.

I don't reduce the texture detail anyway because I have a video card that was made in the last ten years.

I think most people have the spare 70MB of video memory. Seems like a lot more people will not have a spare 700MB of physical memory VS the measly 70MB of video memory.

No offense intended, but if the old textures where 70MB on disk and 70MB in memory, then the new change is only affecting loading times.

It also looks like the full 700MB of version 4.0 is getting loaded into memory briefly causing some people to actually have memory problems.

So I have a hard time understanding the reason behind the change if the game software isn't going to handle it correctly until .23 anyway.

By your own numbers it's only 10x larger. And by the numbers I have of the pack it's not even 6x.

And you really don't understand how textures are stored. It never stores either PNG or TGA in system or video. It converts them into a third format which is more usable. Regardless of the input, for the same data, this third format will be the same size.

And the reason for the change, which you read incorrectly, is because the game can't handle the old PNG format correctly until .23.

Indeed my math is jacked up. That is what happens after a night of heavy drinking.

The principle is still sound though. Most people have the video memory to run this.

Now what you have, is people not being able to load at all because they don't have the physical memory available to do it.

No matter that it is the same size after the loading is complete. That is of no consequence to someone who can't load it because it is too big to begin with.

EDIT:

Just to be clear. I don't have any problem with either version of this mod. 4.0 does indeed load faster. Looks the same. Etc.

YMMV. I just want to say that I am not trying to be combative here I am just asking questions in order to understand the situation better.

Edited by Payload

We also added 35 parts :P

Let's see if this can explain the increase.

I've loaded KSP without B9. Main screen appears with 2.4GB.

Since with B9 3.3 it ends up in 2.8GB, that's a 400MB increase for 170 parts.

Now, what are those 35 parts that increased 600MB? :P

The texture loading problems are annoying, but ultimately only a symptom of KSPs broken part loading approach (load all the things, then take ages to switch scenes anyways).

The new parts are great by the way. I already started a new career game with them (deleted stock plane parts, and had NearFuture and Kethane installed so RAM was ok-ish but still critical)

KSP Fails also for me but around 6.24 go.

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.1.2f1_911c7369eeac]

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module KSP.exe at 0023:01328314.

Error occurred at 2013-10-20_193744.

C:\game\KSP0.22\KSP.exe, run by XXX.

78% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [1789 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [93 MB free].

Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

The texture loading problems are annoying, but ultimately only a symptom of KSPs broken part loading approach (load all the things, then take ages to switch scenes anyways).

The new parts are great by the way. I already started a new career game with them (deleted stock plane parts, and had NearFuture and Kethane installed so RAM was ok-ish but still critical)

"Broken" is an understatement :D For instance, I verified that if you want to disable completely a part, you have to remove not only the .cfg, but also the .mu and .mbm files since they still get loaded even if not referenced by anything.

EDIT - Memory woes aside, this is a quality release! Love the landing gears, the hidden struts and the enclosed lights!

Edited by SFJackBauer

Love you guys, B9 is one of my main mods. You guys deliver quality goods, and you do it for free to. Bravo. Having some memory issues/KSP crashes as others have stated above, but I'm sure you guys will nail them down when you can.

I am having Issues as well I get this when I run the new b9, I have firespitter , kethane, KW and Nova started game with those just fine, I don't know what this means.

Crash!!!

ERROR: Error while initializing dbghelp.dll, GetLastError: 'The operation completed successfully.' (Address: 00000000)

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

ERROR: Error while initializing dbghelp.dll, GetLastError: 'The operation completed successfully.' (Address: 00000000)

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! **

Does this mod have mfd's or new in-cockpit views?

No and it won't in the foreseeable future (unless you are referring to this mod in general and not just to the latest update, - then yes, there are three IVAs with MFDs, but new ones won't be available anytime soon).

Edited by bac9

No and it won't in the foreseeable future (unless you are referring to the whole history of mod versions, - then yes, there are three IVAs with MFDs, but new ones won't be available anytime soon).

Thanks, can I throw in another dumb question? Is this compatible with the KW Rocketry mod?

Enjoyed B9 in the past but if I have to run B9 and only B9 to get it to run smoothly and not mem crash constantly, I'll have to pass until it gets streamlined. Currently with just Novapunch, Skybox and KAS, it's not even making it past the load bar without tapping out it's memory.

I am also getting this.....

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! **

Some measurements I did in my install (it has several other mods):

B9 3.3 - KSP ends up in main screen with 2.8GB in Task Manager.

B9 3.3 and PolecatEZ texture pack - KSP ends up in main screen with 2.6GB in Task Manager.

B9 4.0 - KSP crashes as memory usages reaches 3.4GB

So yeah... something is odd if the only thing changed was the format from PNG to TGA.

Quoting myself as now with 4.0c and the reduced texture pack, KSP went back to 2.8GB in the main menu screen. So indeed it was the texture res.

Is the download of v4.0c corrupted? I downloaded twice, archive is damaged and can't be opened.

Managed to download from mediafire just fine.

So the guy that answered me thinks its a out of ram crash well then i guess ill take out ksp interstellar and see if i can run the b9 pack cause i like it

You don't have to take out a mod. You can just downsize the B9 textures, most of them are 1024*1024 and can be safely downsized to 512*512 with a program like paint.NET.

Loving the new parts, but on the other hand, since updating, I'm now struggling to get the game to run in a stable manner. I've only got B9 plus a scattering of other mods which add 30 parts in total running, but I've had four crashes this evening (over that time I've been thinning out parts from other mods, so I probably had a few more parts loaded for the first couple of crashes). Each crash has occurred upon returning to the VAB/SPH after a flight.

Here are the crash logs for those interested.

EDIT: Potentially disregard this. Updating from 4.0 to 4.0c to see if things improve. Will update with news on performance.

Edited by SufficientAnonymity

also the turbines on one of the engines are spinning in reverse just a visual thing nothing big i thought it was funny Edit : i just figured out why when you brake with the engines on the blades go in reverse but never turn back even when going forward XD lovely unintentional lols

Edited by moxzot