[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

I do wish there was something more "stubby" as an alternative to the long MK2 tails. They're great for a lot of designs, but sometimes I want to be able to use the MK2 hull without being forced to use the looooong tail piece to make it look complete.

I do wish there was something more "stubby" as an alternative to the long MK2 tails. They're great for a lot of designs, but sometimes I want to be able to use the MK2 hull without being forced to use the looooong tail piece to make it look complete.

Interesting that you bring this up. I've been thinking about the same thing. I think I'll create a few new parts by copying the configs and changing the 'Y' scale to make some new stubby parts. I'd like to use the S2 cockpit and fuselage parts more than I do, but I too find the tail pieces to be way too long most of the time. Also the new part, the adapter thing that's black on the wrong side, I could use a shorter version of that too. Looks like my first hour or so of playtime tomorrow is going to be taken up with config editing. :)

Hyomoto, your fix didn't work at all for me. This is my config, is it installed right?

http://imgur.com/4bJlNZh

http://imgur.com/4bJlNZh

That definitely should work. You have module manager installed right? Check your KSP log for a line like this:

[LOG 20:25:18.496] [ModuleManager] Applying node B9_Aerospace/B9 Useful Wheels Patch/@PART[B9_*_Landing_Gear_*] to B9_Aerospace/Parts/Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG/HDG1A/B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG1A

If you see it, it should be working. Check the part in game and make sure its mass is 0.5. If you don't see a line like that, the patch isn't being applied anyways. If you see that line and the mass isn't 0.5, then we've got a real head-scratcher going. I'm not big in OSX, but in Windows when people don't have file extensions visible, they often make files like "patch.cfg.txt" which is still a text file even though they see "patch.cfg". I haven't used a Mac since my LC II, but I remember extensions being part of the file properties. Any chance something like that is happening here?

Interesting that you bring this up. I've been thinking about the same thing. I think I'll create a few new parts by copying the configs and changing the 'Y' scale to make some new stubby parts. I'd like to use the S2 cockpit and fuselage parts more than I do, but I too find the tail pieces to be way too long most of the time. Also the new part, the adapter thing that's black on the wrong side, I could use a shorter version of that too. Looks like my first hour or so of playtime tomorrow is going to be taken up with config editing. :)

The major issue with any of the parts is fuel. We have to include fuel in our planes the way we would rockets which creates a situation where the plane is difficult to balance. If we could get wet wings, it would take those tanks out and not only would it be possible to make shorter planes than it is now, those tails wouldn't seem nearly as long. I don't use Bac9's wings, but DYJ doesn't seem keen on providing wet wings for reasons I can't really agree with. So yeah, stubby tail as an interim fix but honestly the tails are fairly accurate for a plane that size.

Edited by Hyomoto

I think the reason b9 doesn't include wings with fuel is that it's complicated structurally to make that work in KSP, and I'm not sure how stock aerodynamics handle heavy wings.

With modular/real fuel tanks you can however add fuel to the tails/adapters etc.

I think the reason b9 doesn't include wings with fuel is that it's complicated structurally to make that work in KSP, and I'm not sure how stock aerodynamics handle heavy wings.

With modular/real fuel tanks you can however add fuel to the tails/adapters etc.

Wings already have fuel crossflow enabled, so that can't be the issue. Apparently the stock aerodynamics use mass to factor in drag, so as your wings get lighter they produce more lift. Since FAR doesn't have this issue, we already have a solution available. But that's beside the point, I was simply explaining how the tail wouldn't be too long if we didn't have to include a 4m fuel tank before it.

Wings already have fuel crossflow enabled, so that can't be the issue. Apparently the stock aerodynamics use mass to factor in drag, so as your wings get lighter they produce more lift. Since FAR doesn't have this issue, we already have a solution available. But that's beside the point, I was simply explaining how the tail wouldn't be too long if we didn't have to include a 4m fuel tank before it.

True, the stock aerodynamics model multiplies the drag coefficient (determined by angle of attack with wing parts) by mass- but actually, HEAVIER wings produce more lift in stock aerodynamics- as the stock system also uses mass as an approximation of wing area... This seems counter-intuitive, and in fact doesn't make realistic sense- but basically in stock gameplay your wings would produce the most lift if they were made of lead... (if you could get engines powerful enough to move them quickly)

Some mods already include wings with fuel in them. The Firespitter mod WWII-era fighter planes in particular come to mind...

Now, in other new- I can't seem to get the CF34 engines to mount on anything (I never tried using them before- so I didn't notice). Is there some special requirement about how they have to be mounted in R4.0c?

Regards,

Northstar

EDIT: Ahh, I remembered, after consulting the configs- actually, I encountered this once before- the ONLY part it will attach to is the B9 medium engine pylons. Its attachment rules don't allow for surface attachments, and it doesn't have any stack nodes, so this ends up being literally the only way to connect it to anything...

Edited by Northstar1989

uhm... H50-A and H50-B landing legs. not deplying in VAB or SPH.

is there a fix? i have the latest firespitter mod and DLL installed... anything else i need?

Did you get the ExsurgentEngineering and the tweakables file yet?

is there a fix? i have the latest firespitter mod and DLL installed... anything else i need?

Sadly, while there is a tweakables fix for the wings, there is nothing so far for the H50 legs that I've found. In fact, I (and at least one other) have noticed that the legs don't respond to direct controls (right-click and extend/retract). They do work with the general gear key (G), but don't seem to have any interaction in the VAB/SPH or direct click control. :(

Alright boys and girls, I got your back on this one!

I can't deploy the part files themselves without violating the license, so here's all you need to do!

Open the relevant .cfg file with Notepad, Notepad++, or ANYTHING EXCEPT WORDPAD OR WORD, and replace everything in the file with the following:

FOR H50.cfg

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = B9_Utility_Leg_H50
module = Part
author = bac9

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.25
scale = 1

animationName = leg_h50_toggle2

PhysicsSignificance = 0

// --- node definitions ---
node_attach = 0.0, 0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = advLanding
entryCost = 6700
cost = 1250
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = H50-A Landing Leg
manufacturer = Tetragon Projects
description = Landing leg for excessively heavy landers. We aren't sure how you got things like these into space in the first place, but this thing will help to get them back onto the ground. Probably. This model extends vertically and should be attached to the side of your lander.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 120
maxTemp = 2900

CoMOffset = 0, 0, 0

breakingForce = 250
breakingTorque = 250

deploySpeed = 1
retractSpeed = -1
randomSpeedFactor = 0.05

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
animationName = leg_h50_toggle
startEventGUIName = Deploy
endEventGUIName = Retract
toggleActionName = Toggle gear
availableInEVA = True
EVArange = 10
}
}

For H50P.cfg

PART
{
name = B9_Utility_Leg_H50P
module = Part
author = bac9

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.25
scale = 1

PhysicsSignificance = 0

entryCost = 6700
cost = 1250
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = H50-B Landing Leg
description = Landing leg for excessively heavy landers. We aren't sure how you got things like these into space in the first place, but this thing will help to get them back onto the ground. Probably. This model extends perpendicularly and should be attached to the underside of your lander.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 120
maxTemp = 2900

CoMOffset = 0, 0, 0

breakingForce = 250
breakingTorque = 250

deploySpeed = 1
retractSpeed = -1
randomSpeedFactor = 0.05

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
availableInEVA = True
EVArange = 10
}

}

If you're currently running the game, back out to the Space Center scene, and hit Alt-F12 to open the debug window. Select Database, then click the Reload All button. When the mad scrolling stops and the display returns to the master database info stats, hit Alt-F12 again to close the window, then dive into the SPH or VAB. You should be able to tweak the gears just like the wheels.

ENJOY!!

EDIT:

All that's necessary to really change is the initial MODULE call near the top of the file, changing it from "HLandingLeg" to "Part", then adding the final Module FSAnimateGeneric section in the above code snippets to the end of the file. :)

Edited by Deadweasel

Deadweasel: a MM.cfg doesn't violate the license.

True, but I'm not familiar with MM enough to create a script for that. I'll contact the author of the control surfaces tweak and ask if he'll add that in though, making the change easier for folks down the road.

Though I wonder how long until Tav/Bac9 release a new version, not heard from either in a while.

Given the new parts sneak peak Bac9 tossed out a while back, I'm not surprised he's taking quite a bit of time to release another update. Undoubtedly there's a lot of new animations and textures that will be coming along with them, and there's probably quite a bit of work to do to ensure that they're not only fully compatible with every other existing part in the pack, but that they don't also create some kind of headaches with other packs as well.

Case-in-point: the B9 landing gear themselves have a pretty big "hitbox" around them, so if you're looking edge-on at a deployed gear in the SPH/VAB, attempting to click just behind it will result in you picking up that gear anyway. You have to rotate the camera and possibly zoom in beyond that gear so you aren't accidentally interacting with it. I can imagine there are lots of interesting little adjustments to avoid even more drastic examples of issues like that.

Given what he's produced thus far, and that (with a couple of minor tweaks) everything can work just as it did before the 0.23 update, I'm content to kick back and play while waiting for him to drop the virtual bomb on the entire community once again. :D

I can't deploy the part files themselves without violating the license, so here's all you need to do!

Open the relevant .cfg file with Notepad, Notepad++, or ANYTHING EXCEPT WORDPAD OR WORD, and replace everything in the file with the following:

FOR H50.cfg

PART
{
module = Part
author = bac9

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.25
scale = 1

PhysicsSignificance = 0

entryCost = 6700
cost = 1250
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
description = Landing leg for excessively heavy landers. We aren't sure how you got things like these into space in the first place, but this thing will help to get them back onto the ground. Probably. This model extends vertically and should be attached to the side of your lander.

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 120
maxTemp = 2900

CoMOffset = 0, 0, 0

breakingForce = 250
breakingTorque = 250

deploySpeed = 1
retractSpeed = -1
randomSpeedFactor = 0.05

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
availableInEVA = True
EVArange = 10
}
}

For H50P.cfg

PART
{
module = Part
author = bac9

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.25
scale = 1

PhysicsSignificance = 0

entryCost = 6700
cost = 1250
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
description = Landing leg for excessively heavy landers. We aren't sure how you got things like these into space in the first place, but this thing will help to get them back onto the ground. Probably. This model extends perpendicularly and should be attached to the underside of your lander.

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 120
maxTemp = 2900

CoMOffset = 0, 0, 0

breakingForce = 250
breakingTorque = 250

deploySpeed = 1
retractSpeed = -1
randomSpeedFactor = 0.05

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
availableInEVA = True
EVArange = 10
}

}

If you're currently running the game, back out to the Space Center scene, and hit Alt-F12 to open the debug window. Select Database, then click the Reload All button. When the mad scrolling stops and the display returns to the master database info stats, hit Alt-F12 again to close the window, then dive into the SPH or VAB. You should be able to tweak the gears just like the wheels.

ENJOY!!

EDIT:

All that's necessary to really change is the initial MODULE call near the top of the file, changing it from "HLandingLeg" to "Part", then adding the final Module FSAnimateGeneric section in the above code snippets to the end of the file. :)

THANNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU -kisses you so much but can't due to the helmet- awe :(

the animations are the same for both landing legs. i noticed something. you didn't add the "animationName" to the second cfg file.

is it just a simple add this "animationName = leg_h50_toggle1" sentence fix?

EDIT: nope still same animation :/

Edit2: FIXED replace

MODULE

{

name = FSanimateGeneric

availableInEVA = True

EVArange = 10

}

}

with

MODULE

{

name = FSanimateGeneric

availableInEVA = True

EVArange = 10

}

}

in the H50.cfg to get the other animation working!

if you see i changed the "animationName = leg_h50_toggle" to "animationName = leg_h50_toggle2"

this solves the animation issue making both legs show the same animation.

Edited by AntiMatter001

the animations are the same for both landing legs. i noticed something. you didn't add the "animationName" to the second cfg file.

is it just a simple add this "animationName = leg_h50_toggle1" sentence fix?

EDIT: nope still same animation :/

Edit2: FIXED replace

MODULE

{

name = FSanimateGeneric

availableInEVA = True

EVArange = 10

}

}

with

MODULE

{

name = FSanimateGeneric

availableInEVA = True

EVArange = 10

}

}

in the H50.cfg to get the other animation working!

if you see i changed the "animationName = leg_h50_toggle" to "animationName = leg_h50_toggle2"

this solves the animation issue making both legs show the same animation.

Whoops! Great find, I totally missed that!

:snip:

for H50.cfg

and

MODULE

{

name = FSanimateGeneric

availableInEVA = True

EVArange = 10

}

and for H50P

MODULE

{

name = FSanimateGeneric

availableInEVA = True

EVArange = 10

}

should do the trick :)

P.S. and thanks to Deadweasel for the Config :)

FOR H50.cfg

PART
{
module = Part
author = bac9

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.25
scale = 1

PhysicsSignificance = 0

entryCost = 6700
cost = 1250
category = Utility
subcategory = 0

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 120
maxTemp = 2900

CoMOffset = 0, 0, 0

breakingForce = 250
breakingTorque = 250

deploySpeed = 1
retractSpeed = -1
randomSpeedFactor = 0.05

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
availableInEVA = True
EVArange = 10
}
}

For H50P.cfg

PART
{
module = Part
author = bac9

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.25
scale = 1

PhysicsSignificance = 0

entryCost = 6700
cost = 1250
category = Utility
subcategory = 0

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 120
maxTemp = 2900

CoMOffset = 0, 0, 0

breakingForce = 250
breakingTorque = 250

deploySpeed = 1
retractSpeed = -1
randomSpeedFactor = 0.05

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
availableInEVA = True
EVArange = 10
}

}

ENJOY!!

EDIT:

Requesting permission to quote this in the B9 fixes thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66020-B9-0-23-fixes

This isn't true. From the license Bac9 used in the OP, anyone is free to adapt/modify his work and distribute it so long as you 1) Give credit 2) it is non-commercial and 3) Apply the same licensing terms.

Link to the license.

I got B9 working with 0.23 mostly and the only problem I have now is if I install interstellar, the Saber engine just overheats. I can keep the overheating under control by using pre-coolers. However, as soon as I switch from air breathing to rocket mode, the temperature of the engine just shoots up and explodes.

Anyone got a fix for this?