[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

So nobody knows what and if his working on it. Its a shame, but having a currently inactive YouTube channel with 42k subs, with many regularly spamming me for content, I surely do understand and respect his situation.

Has anyone else who is more mod accustomed then me, compiled a fix list though? Surely the great minds of this community has self updated most things :)

Already done my friend, already done. :)

If I don't have Interstellar, but my sabres overheat at ridiculously high rate, what might be the reason? It's kinda frustrating to see them simply blow up every time I open the throttle...

Edit so that no one can accuse me of being non-specific ;)

I'm using the S2 rear hull part (the one with two 2,5m hardpoints on the sides) to install two large Sabres, plus a bunch of smaller engines along the wings to create enough thrust to make my plane rise. Intake air is provided with Sabre intakes for the smaller engines and one intake hull adapter for the large ones. Small engines run smoothly, but the larger ones start overheating at around 10s after firing. I've installed precoolers to the large engines, which slows the overheat down, but I was unable to determine whether the engines would explode, as the plane starts wobbling and crashes (apparently14 wheels for 150 t aircraft is not enough, even with the fix...) :(

Edited by Astraph

I apologize, I sort of just figure everyone is used to these things by now. I'll put up a downloadable version for those who want it here.

In case anyone is interested, the problem with the gear is the mass is too low, causing a weak connection between it and other parts. The stock gear is .5, whereas Bac9 used ~.1 which explains why the stock gear doesn't get weak in the knees as easily. Struts don't seem to have an impact on this either, so as far as I can tell this is the best fix for it. The patch simply changes all of the landing gear to have a mass to match the stock gear.

Hyomoto, I'm 100% sure, but don't think the mass has anything to do with the woblyness. That can be fixed by modifying the sidewaysStiffness parameter which was suggested by someone couple of posts above. This is a module manager config that worked for me:

@PART[B9_*_Landing_Gear_*]
{
@mass = 0.5

@MODULE[FSwheel]
{
@sidewaysStiffness = 0.01
}
}

I left the mass hack in, just in case. I'll test it later to see if it is really necessary.

Tested on this monster. Works beautifully.

BQF619p.jpg

If I don't have Interstellar, but my sabres overheat at ridiculously high rate, what might be the reason? It's kinda frustrating to see them simply blow up every time I open the throttle...

Edit so that no one can accuse me of being non-specific ;)

I'm using the S2 rear hull part (the one with two 2,5m hardpoints on the sides) to install two large Sabres, plus a bunch of smaller engines along the wings to create enough thrust to make my plane rise. Intake air is provided with Sabre intakes for the smaller engines and one intake hull adapter for the large ones. Small engines run smoothly, but the larger ones start overheating at around 10s after firing. I've installed precoolers to the large engines, which slows the overheat down, but I was unable to determine whether the engines would explode, as the plane starts wobbling and crashes (apparently14 wheels for 150 t aircraft is not enough, even with the fix...) :(

If you installed precoolers correctly (next to EVERY air intake input, not only the Sabre ones, since air temperature will be very high in all of them) there shouldn't be an issue. Check the status of precoolers in flight, they all must be active. Anyway strange to see problem without Interstellar. Are you sure it's not other mod conflict? Did you updated Firespitter and Kinetech plugins?

To be honest, i dont remember any issues with temperature on stock B9. Precoolers (stock and B9) without KSPI doesn't do jack. And they don't need to.

Fix the wheels with config setup posted 2 pages ago.

Something I want to ask bac9 for the next KSP update would be to first release a version update of the current version of B9 and then add the new parts which would improve two things:

1.: after the KSP-version works and is released he would only need to worry about the new parts when bubfixing the B9-update-version

2.: we would save ourselves about 20 pages of Forum thread posts of "the old version doesn't work with my new KSP"-complaints after each KSP update...

and last but not least something regarding the "Bac9 is lazy"-post I've seen a few pages ago: If it isn't that hard, you're free to do it for Bac9 if you want it that much. If you can't/don't want to: shut the f**k up.

I'll wait for Bac9 to do it his way.

sorry for swearing

Hector

Sorry if this has been addressed before: I just downloaded this mod, but I'm unable to install it because the .zip for 4.0c on the spaceport appears to be broken somehow. I've tried downloading it twice and haven't been able to open or unzip the archive. Anybody else have this problem/know how to fix it?

Hyomoto, I'm 100% sure, but don't think the mass has anything to do with the woblyness. That can be fixed by modifying the sidewaysStiffness parameter which was suggested by someone couple of posts above.

I only understand the basic idea of KSP joint structure. What I can say for certain is I used to hate Bac9's gear with a flamboyant passion as they danced beneath me and caused so many wrecks I'd like to scream. Changing the mass worked, the craft I couldn't get to take off for this issue work now. They hold as well as the normal gear, I simply did a 1-to-1 comparison of stats. However, I will concede to the various groups with better knowledge than myself, after all, the only thing better than a single-point fix is a multi-point fix!

By the way, if the fix isn't working for anyone, make sure to check if the mass is indeed changed in game. The question is, is the patch not being applied, or is the mass not having an effect. For the latter you can try the sideways stiffness fix that was also posted.

I only understand the basic idea of KSP joint structure. What I can say for certain is I used to hate Bac9's gear with a flamboyant passion as they danced beneath me and caused so many wrecks I'd like to scream. Changing the mass worked, the craft I couldn't get to take off for this issue work now. They hold as well as the normal gear, I simply did a 1-to-1 comparison of stats. However, I will concede to the various groups with better knowledge than myself, after all, the only thing better than a single-point fix is a multi-point fix!

By the way, if the fix isn't working for anyone, make sure to check if the mass is indeed changed in game. The question is, is the patch not being applied, or is the mass not having an effect. For the latter you can try the sideways stiffness fix that was also posted.

or when all else fails... DO BOTH!

I can only speak from my own experience, but I know for sure that changing only the mass did not have any effect for me. Adjusting the sidewaysStiffness (whatever it may be) worked though. I'd say the safest thing to do is to adjust both parameters.

If i may present my theory of wobblyness of the B9 gears:

KSP (and post-school physics) calculates movement by newtons law (acceleration = accelerating force/mass) and rotation in a similar way (angular acceleration = torque/moment of inertia). The moment of inertia of a pendulum is (pendulum mass) times (pendulum length)², and since we're only looking at rotation along one axis, we can use the pendulum as an approximation for the B9 gear - this may even be the way KSP calculates it.

If you now look at the weigth of the stock gear (0.5 tons) and the B9 gear (~0.1 tons), we notice that the stock gears mass is much lower, and if Bac9 didn't set the 'pendulum length' to a value high enough, the moment of inertia of the B9 wheels will come out to be extremely low, resulting in minimal torque causing maximal angular acceleration.

This also explains why struts won't stabilize the B9 gear as much as desired: the force applied to the Gear by struts is (probably - as I suspect) calculated using the current strut strain - which is zero at the time the Gear is still behaving normal, but as soon as the gear starts wobbling, it deflects by up to 45 degrees within a single frame - and as the struts dont do anything until then, the wobbling has already begun and the struts only add more chaotic torque.

Given that this theory of wobblyness is correct, the solution to the gear wobbling problem would be to increase the moment of inertia of the B9 Gears to one similar or higher than the stock gears.

If the 'SidewaysStiffness' is somehow connected to the moment of inertia, the fix has already been found. If not - who knows where the moments of inertia are set?

However, that's only my idea - are there other theories out there? please let me/us know if you have one.

gretings

Hector

Edited by Hector_919

Hector_919, yout theory seems plausible. Moment of inertia includes mass term, so that would explain why increasing the mass helps. One explanation why it didn't work for me is that I'm also using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement which might be overriding the moment of inertia based on some other properties.

Sorry if this has been addressed before: I just downloaded this mod, but I'm unable to install it because the .zip for 4.0c on the spaceport appears to be broken somehow. I've tried downloading it twice and haven't been able to open or unzip the archive. Anybody else have this problem/know how to fix it?

You might need to create an account on the site and login with it. I've seen SpacePort behaving oddly by doing things like that. Logging in always seemed to correct them before. No idea why.

Just use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? I've never seen any wobbliness from B9 gears. Presumably it's because I have KJR installed or I'm not putting as much weight on the wheels as you guys. Maybe you just need more wheels?

regarding KJR: I did that in KSP 0.22 and yes - it worked. However, downloading an entire mod just for fixing one bug doesn't sound like a solution for everyone.

regarding "more wheels": when I hit the 40-wheels-mark It started to get crowded at the bottom of my plane

and aside from that: fixing bugs is never wrong...