[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

What difference does that make? And last one is from Unity anyway, lighting is identical to KSP. If you are referring to ambient occlusion, it's not rendered, but baked into the texture. Won't go anywhere in KSP.

Because some people just like to see what it looks like in the game before they download it? I didn't mean to hit a nerve, sorry. Everyone uses different graphics settings, so far it's hard for me the game to mimic the detail in your shots, thats all. I guess I need to keep playing with it (thats if my shuttle stops randomly exploding :))

I don' find it identical between Unity and KSP, not that I see anyway it's very much chalk and cheese to my eyes, but I guess its a personal thing.

Edited by Devo

my space shuttle still disintegrates on the runway when i apply thrust((

im gonna try and remake it from the ground up and see if results are the same.

Will there be a solution to the problem of weak coupling between the components except THOUSANDS of Truss?)

Please do. So far in reasonable crafts it seems to work relatively well. I usually only need to strut the wings to the fuselage.

Possibly the connection strengths need to go up some more. They've already gone up a lot from the initial values, but at the mass ranges we're dealing with here the scaling that's used in the vanilla parts doesn't work, so it there will likely be further iterations.

The part connections are not intended to be bomb-proof. Some wobble is part of KSP. But if you find specific parts that bend too much please name them. Connection strength is also affected by the mass of the 2 parts forming the connection, so there may be specific parts which need boosting on top of general per-fuselage-type values.

If you find a specific part which seems to flex a lot more than others, give us the part title.

Oh my god. Strugatsky? Like Boris and/or Arkady Strugatsky?

swooning.gif

Yup :)

Taverius, if I can do anything to help you solve this, provide any logs, take video, whatever you need, just let me know. I love the concept of this mod, and while everything is made from nitroglycerin at the moment, I think its got a lot of promise.

The exploding thing I can test here, but attach a craft, it might help. We thought we had fixed it last night, as in testing it seemed to have stopped in my test crafts, but I will test further.

yeah I had the same prob, any ideas guys? the second I take off, complete annihilation, like the concord disaster.

This was plaguing me. I had to attach a multitude of struts to keep her together. After adding struts (many) - it was at least able to withstand a rocket-assist take off. I haven't even tried landing her yet. It felt better, but the nodes might require additional strength.

The other is takeoff speed & runway length. There are times she won't lift at all, and the one time I got her close, I clipped some debris at the end of the runway and you the know rest of the song.

Now do the large wings lack sufficient lift? The vessel below has a great TWR and enough lift for powered flight, but it seems I need almost double the runway length to build that necessary lift. I've tested rotation at a few speeds, going along with the overspeed / compression concept, but not systematically and with little luck.

I've also noticed that if the air frame deviates during hyper-sonic flight, the wings rip-off and things go boom. Everything went as expected. :D

http://imgur.com/2N3uKtS

Edited by Meatsauce
clarity

yep thats because it happens in real life too

Well yea, I neglected to mention my enthusiasm for some of the realism that this addon adds on.

Also, as far as the IVA's go;

Is there any documentation on building the computer/readouts and adding the click functionality? I'd love to build an annunciator panel.

Please do. So far in reasonable crafts it seems to work relatively well. I usually only need to strut the wings to the fuselage.

Possibly the connection strengths need to go up some more. They've already gone up a lot from the initial values, but at the mass ranges we're dealing with here the scaling that's used in the vanilla parts doesn't work, so it there will likely be further iterations.

The part connections are not intended to be bomb-proof. Some wobble is part of KSP. But if you find specific parts that bend too much please name them. Connection strength is also affected by the mass of the 2 parts forming the connection, so there may be specific parts which need boosting on top of general per-fuselage-type values.

If you find a specific part which seems to flex a lot more than others, give us the part title.

Yup :)

The exploding thing I can test here, but attach a craft, it might help. We thought we had fixed it last night, as in testing it seemed to have stopped in my test crafts, but I will test further.

http://pastebin.com/Tr4RpVut

heres my bugged craft. it uses only stock, B9 FAR and the landing gears from your own pack. the struts are hidden in the fuselage

Anyone having problems with the FAR cfg files? Every part with FAR cfg files have attach points that are about in the center of each wing, instead of the edge of the wing, like normal. I can't use the parts until this is fixed :(

Anyone having problems with the FAR cfg files? Every part with FAR cfg files have attach points that are about in the center of each wing, instead of the edge of the wing, like normal. I can't use the parts until this is fixed :(

Yes, they are still broken it seems ;.; guess wait for revision 5

That would be great B787 Cause I suck at making them myself.

On a different note:

Bac9 the monopropellant tank for the S2 series of fuselages is incapable of being placed up against the S2 cockpit without part clipping being enabled. I think the attachment node for both sides of the part are too far back or something. Though it seems to connect to other parts just fine which is weird. My workaround is to use 2 of the S2-2m adapters but that disrupts the flow of the parts. Just a heads up for that considering it's meant to be used in conjunction with the rest of the S2 pieces. Is there a way to fix that without part clipping? I'd like to avoid having to do that if possible.

Edited by shadowsutekh

http://i.imgur.com/bsIjlNd.jpg

I just built this plane to have it explode repeatedly. I'm both sad and happy to find out that its an error in the Ferram compatibility. Happy because I guess my design is still sound, its not some absurd clipping issue, and sad because well, I can't actually fly it until the new release comes out I suppose.

Hey guys. First of all - Bac9 and all devs of this great mod - thank you, bow down. I myself used to make models for other games such as Homeworld by starting from things I myself wanted to see.

Now, I have a few questions, I hope someone can answer:

1. How do you hide your struts? I am unable to place them in between parts(say 2 fuel tanks mounted next to each other)? This is in case i still need struts, after instaling 2.4( running 2.3 now, no FAR).

2. Can someone recommend a mod, including some larger landing gear, I am having trouble taking off with the ridiculously small stock ones?

3. How do you place docking ports in the HL and M2(i think) cargo bays? I manage placing them, but off-center, even if it's 1 pixel, they just won't attach to the center node, they just rotate around it. I have tried attaching docking ports first, but then you can't attach the cargo bay itself.

4. Do you keep your docked loads in the cargo bays strutted in order to prevent catastrophic wobbling in flight?

5. Can we have some scaled down landing legs too? Let's say inline with 2.5m

6. Any plans for tail parts that are inline with the largest wings? Not that I mind using the stock Delta wings, but I can't fit the B9 ailerons on them and the B9 Delta wings are kinda thick and uncomely for a tail :P

http://pastebin.com/Tr4RpVut

heres my bugged craft. it uses only stock, B9 FAR and the landing gears from your own pack. the struts are hidden in the fuselage

The MK5 cockpit still gives the 'EVA obstructed' error if a piece is connected to the cockpit.

We believed we had fixed these, will test more. Thanks for the .craft.

On a different note:

Bac9 the monopropellant tank for the S2 series of fuselages is incapable of being placed up against the S2 cockpit without part clipping being enabled. I think the attachment node for both sides of the part are too far back or something. Though it seems to connect to other parts just fine which is weird. My workaround is to use 2 of the S2-2m adapters but that disrupts the flow of the parts. Just a heads up for that considering it's meant to be used in conjunction with the rest of the S2 pieces. Is there a way to fix that without part clipping? I'd like to avoid having to do that if possible.

Colliders are hard. Will be tweaked as issues are found, so keep pointing the parts out.

Hey guys. First of all - Bac9 and all devs of this great mod - thank you, bow down. I myself used to make models for other games such as Homeworld by starting from things I myself wanted to see.

1. How do you hide your struts? I am unable to place them in between parts(say 2 fuel tanks mounted next to each other)? This is in case i still need struts, after instaling 2.4( running 2.3 now, no FAR).

2. Can someone recommend a mod, including some larger landing gear, I am having trouble taking off with the ridiculously small stock ones?

3. How do you place docking ports in the HL and M2(i think) cargo bays? I manage placing them, but off-center, even if it's 1 pixel, they just won't attach to the center node, they just rotate around it. I have tried attaching docking ports first, but then you can't attach the cargo bay itself.

4. Do you keep your docked loads in the cargo bays strutted in order to prevent catastrophic wobbling in flight?

5. Can we have some scaled down landing legs too? Let's say inline with 2.5m

6. Any plans for tail parts that are inline with the largest wings? Not that I mind using the stock Delta wings, but I can't fit the B9 ailerons on them and the B9 Delta wings are kinda thick and uncomely for a tail :P

2. Mine is the only one that I know of, and they're just the stock gear resized up a few times.

4. A in-game strut mod like quantum strut or such from spaceport is pretty much mandatory for stuff like this.

5. The heavy landing legs already have less clearance than the default ones, you wont be able to use scaled-down ones and engines.

A S2 styled SAS/ASAS unit would also be an awesome addition

Rather than put 6 ASAS/avionics modules radial modules are planned.

Due to the model root being moved to the wing root all B9 wings have to be reattached in 2-4.

Edited by Taverius

1. I find turning off angle snap helps to place struts between adjacent parts. I just make mine a short as possible in out of view places to try and hide them as best as possible, however the only parts I've really felt the need to strut are the HL cargo bays and tail section (and possibly the side extensions if they get very long).

2. My suggestions would either be Taverius' pack or TouhouTorpedo's modular multiwheels, which I use myself (see the screenshot below for an example)

3. Once again, turn off angle snap and the docking port will lie flush with the surface, allowing you to place it approximately in the middle.

But yeah, thanks to Bac9 and Taverius for this great section pack! I've had a lot of fun already even if there are still a few more bugs to be ironed out.

screenshot207.png

Impact resistance does seem a bit high however, and doesn't seem to help planes staying together in the air, but does stop anything from being damaged by the ground. The cargo bays and HL tail sections seem particularly weak, even with strutting, and tend to fall apart when pitching up or down too hard (such as taking off or landing...). It'd be nice to have a cargo bay section without opening doors for loading cargo into and still allowing top mounted wings, and possibly an opening nose section to load cargo as well.

Hey, wanted to let you guys know the new version is MUCH more solid on the runway. I was able to fly the cargo plane around a bit before the back fell off, but now I can at least strut the fuselage extenders and mitigate some of that wobble. The example space plane was rock solid (Didn't make it to orbit, but that's my fault).

I'll do some more testing later with a exploration vessel I'm working on, but on a whole it's much easier to use the parts.

I was also wondering - maybe you guys could add fuel to some of the adapters and intake parts? They're HUGE, and sometimes it's hard to create the design you're looking for because there's no propellant in these parts. As they're bigger than the actual fuel sections, it seems like not having any fuel in them is a big waste of space.