[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

While the new release is not out, I have a part request.

Remember this thing, EM engine mount?

9PqrS2F.png

I believe it should encourage more structurally sound designs, but, well, maybe this one isn't sound at all. Still, phasing through the door looks wrong, even though it has no effects other than visual.

But to the point: similar phasing can be seen when mounting SABRE M to the side of HL fuselage (with part of the engine inside the cargo bay):

5j167GW.png

Could it be considered a justification for adding a larger version of the engine mount?

Is anyone going to take command of this mod in the wake of bac9's departure?

Where was it mentioned that bac9 had departed? A few weeks is hardly a departure.

Also, no-one's just going to 'take over' someone else's mod without permission.

Just be patient, the mod will probably be updated.

He's done updates on the mod. I highly doubt Bac9 will simply just up and abandon a mod he's poured this much time and effort into. especially with the new parts He's been working on... Just wait. dont send out any messages or anything to them we do not want a repeat of the KW Rocketry incident.

There's bound to be a lot of additional work needed to bring B9 up to date with the game now, especially in light of the new tweakables system. For example, there are a lot of wings in this pack, and while the vanilla wings can now be set up to act in different ways in the VAB/SPH, the B9 ones cannot (yet).

Hang tight, I'll wager bac9 is setting up to make this an update worth waiting for!

I keep having a problem with the landing gear, this same thing happens no matter which B9 Gear I use or in what direction or configuration...

even when the wheels are strutted to the wing the same issue occurs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEO5LwjqucE&feature=youtu.be

I'm sure i'm probably missing something obvious, anyone experienced similar?

scott manly is using the it with deadly re entry on .23

Yeah, you just have to be careful with how you reenter. Definitely try to bleed off most of your speed in the upper atmosphere. Once you hit the lower atmosphere, your wheel wells are going to get really hot. The Space Shuttle style S-turns seems to work well for Scott Manly.

Mmm. Been having lots of wheel issues such as these myself as well. So far I've been able to overcome the strangeness by moving the wheels around: sometimes a brand new place for them, other times just shifting them an inch or two. It feels like something is a bit off, as very minor adjustments can make the difference between a runway suicide-mobile and a functional plane.

I keep having a problem with the landing gear, this same thing happens no matter which B9 Gear I use or in what direction or configuration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEO5LwjqucE&feature=youtu.be

I'm sure i'm probably missing something obvious, anyone experienced similar?

Try strutting the wheels to each other. That solved the problem for me.

I have always had this issue with B9 wheels. it's to do with the amount of weight on each wheel. I believe Bac9 himself has commented on this issue and said that he will not "fix" it, since it's intentional. I may be misremembering so don't quote me on that. Try either adding more gears, or strutting the living hell out of the existing ones.

I have always had this issue with B9 wheels. it's to do with the amount of weight on each wheel. I believe Bac9 himself has commented on this issue and said that he will not "fix" it, since it's intentional. I may be misremembering so don't quote me on that. Try either adding more gears, or strutting the living hell out of the existing ones.

If it's intended functionality that they can be overloaded, then I think it would be better to have them simply break once they hit that limit, rather than having the landing gear suddenly channel the Lord of the Dance until the whole craft breaks apart.

Edited by Firov

Yeah I've tried ever spider web of struttage that I can think of and I'm still getting the same gymnastic splits from the wheels, I will try adding more gears, but my test craft was nothing more than two delta wings with a cargo bay, an LFO tank and a Sabre M, I wouldn't have thought that would be enough to break 'heavy duty' landing gear...

Yeah, you just have to be careful with how you reenter. Definitely try to bleed off most of your speed in the upper atmosphere. Once you hit the lower atmosphere, your wheel wells are going to get really hot. The Space Shuttle style S-turns seems to work well for Scott Manly.

I'll also point out that my DR settings make it a little more forgiving to account for the lower air resistance I get with FAR.

If it's intended functionality that they can be overloaded, then I think it would be better to have them simply break once they hit that limit, rather than having the landing gear suddenly channel the Lord of the Dance until the whole craft breaks apart.

IKR. It seems way over the top.

Yeah I've tried ever spider web of struttage that I can think of and I'm still getting the same gymnastic splits from the wheels, I will try adding more gears, but my test craft was nothing more than two delta wings with a cargo bay, an LFO tank and a Sabre M, I wouldn't have thought that would be enough to break 'heavy duty' landing gear...

Yeah it's weird how little force they can withstand.Maybe it's more to do with placement?

Also, wow Scott Manley is here... I feel starstruck :P

This gear-wobbling was mentioned a few dozen pages earlier, and it seems like bac9 can't do much about it on his behalf. I fixed the problem by installing the "Kerbal joint Reinforcement" mod, which also helped me save 90% of my struts, and I can only revommend it since my Rockets can still break, but bend much less (which seems much more realistic to me).

This gear-wobbling was mentioned a few dozen pages earlier, and it seems like bac9 can't do much about it on his behalf. I fixed the problem by installing the "Kerbal joint Reinforcement" mod, which also helped me save 90% of my struts, and I can only revommend it since my Rockets can still break, but bend much less (which seems much more realistic to me).

That works perfectly, Hats off to you good sir

I've suddenly encountered the same gear wobbling problem, but it's odd, designs that worked fine yesterday have been destroying themselves half way down the runway today.

The designs I have that use stock landing gear are fine, but the ones that use B9 landing gear have suddenly decided to fail.

I have upgraded a few mods to the latest version today (Firespitter, KAS, scansat and selected components from AIES), so I wonder if that's had an affect.

I guess I'll try the joint reinforcement mod, see if that helps.

And nobody noticed scott manley himself just replied on this thread!!

They're all too busy pointing out "Find the new Exsurgent Engineering and pull out Firespitter.dll from the Firespitter Pack" for people new to the internet.

I keep having a problem with the landing gear….

An example

I'm glad you got this solved. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement must be better then strutting things to oblivion, guess I have an excuse to check it out now. It was discussed back on Page 160 and honestly I don't blame you for missing it at this point. tl;dr, wheels should be perpendicular to the runway, so wheels attached to wings (which flex) will make life hard. Combine that with poor yaw control and its pretty easy to get that takeoff wobble.

e: I've never run into this issue (I guess?) so now I'll have to make a point to make designs that deliberately destroy themselves on the runway. So far I haven't had any issues vOv

Edited by Sugoi

They're all too busy pointing out "Find the new Exsurgent Engineering and pull out Firespitter.dll from the Firespitter Pack" for people new to the internet.

I'm glad you got this solved. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement must be better then strutting things to oblivion, guess I have an excuse to check it out now. It was discussed back on Page 160 and honestly I don't blame you for missing it at this point. tl;dr, wheels should be perpendicular to the runway, so wheels attached to wings (which flex) will make life hard. Combine that with poor yaw control and its pretty easy to get that takeoff wobble.

e: I've never run into this issue (I guess?) so now I'll have to make a point to make designs that deliberately destroy themselves on the runway. So far I haven't had any issues vOv

Yeah, The suggested Kerbal Joint Reinforcement System has really solved all the problems I had, Now the wheels are functioning perfectly well but without being cheaty, I stuck 3 gears on a giant plane and suffered complete disintegration, but with normal sized shuttles and things 3 gears Is working great, The aforementioned goliath of an aircraft coped fine with a single front gear and 3 sets of gears on each wing, so yeah...good times :D

Note: Did notice Scott Manley...Shout-out for Scotland...Woooo