[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

How about we cut bac9 a little slack.

There is an old saying:

"We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their actions."

It is all too easy to say, "so and so should do this or that." We forget we are dealing with real people with real lives. Real lives (look at your own) are seldom neat and tidy.

Yes, it would be nice if bac9 would drop a line and let everyone know how things are progressing. We would certainly appreciate knowing.

But remember bac9 has a name, a life, a job, a family, friends, and all the complications that go with them. Any ONE of them is more important than a computer game. Remember that he (or she, - I don't know) put b9 together because they wanted to and then shared it with the rest of us at no cost. He/she owes us nothing.

I would love to see a .23+ update (ideally uploaded to the spaceport before I am through posting this). But more than that, I hope they are doing well with everything that is REALLY important ... then maybe they'll have the energy to devote to an update.

Whether and when an update comes is (as my grandfather was fond of saying) just one more thing in a long list of things I can do nothing about.

Complaining won't help, so why do it?

Offering to help might.

Just saying "Thank you. We respect your hard work." or even "Hope you're doing well." can't hurt.

Then do what you will end up doing anyway, no matter what happens ... sit back and wait. The only question is whether or not you will do it with some dignity. I continue to be impressed with this community, so I don't think expecting excellence is too much to ask.

I guess I'll try and make things easier for you.

• I am not pressuring anyone on anything.
  • I am making discussion simply to create discussion.
  • This shouldn't affect Bac9 unless he/she mistakenly assumes I am directing addressing him/her.
  • How Bac9 operates this mod is not up to me, is not up to you, and is entirely subject to the breeze.
  • Try not to rant when you are angry. It diminishes the quality of the rant.
  • I have an opinion, popular or not, on how something related to the mod should be.
  • That opinion was put out there for discussion.
  • You are taking personal offense and getting angry over an internet opinion as well as assuming personal offense and anger for someone you don't even know (Bac9).
  • If you don't like it, and would rather not reply, I am not obligating you to. You can just as well ignore me entirely and have a nice day (I suggest this as a course of action for you to take.)

There, are we done? Life isn't so serious.

I factored in Bac9 not wanting to say anything when I was forming the original post, I didn't specifically write it down because there was plenty of examples to give a general direction of the point I was trying to make. Sure, Bac9 can not want to say anything, Bac9 can be done already and just not posting the next update. Bac9 could be testing, could be working, could be changing the plugins.

My point wasn't whether someone was doing something or not, was held up or not, was incapacitated to some degree or not. My point was 'Why not make an update post if nothing is wrong?'

I'm not looking for reasons or justifications to why an update post cannot be made if reasons include any of the previously listed conditions that would stop someone from updating. I'm looking for reasons or justifications that would stop someone from updating if there was absolutely nothing to stop them from updating. When I mean updating I'm talking about a quick "hello" and "we got this". The reasons and justifications I'm looking to discuss are supposed to be ethical ones.

You're right though, not having anything to say is an excellent reason.

That's why I would say more on it if I had more time to, but I don't at the moment.

Sorry!

"if you both have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all"

please stop with the long winded posts! yourmaking my ittle head hurt! waaaaaa~!;.;;.;;.;

so I don't think expecting excellence is too much to ask.

uhm depends who you're talking to really :/ sorry to quote and double post.

oh another great saying (i've already posted this but:) "if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all"

i'm a good guy! yay! can i get a treat now (^o.o^)

No, you dimissed it. Which I am pointing out is a sign of your tunnel vision...

This is utterly untrue, and, furthermore, treating is as such is damaging - many modders are actually discouraged by the pressure you're putting on them. This is someone's free time you're claiming.

You are repeating the "Not that I say X but X" pattern, with just minor spin changes. You just exactly said, in so many words, that you do actually expect bac9 to do something. In fact, the entire point of your message seems to be thinly veiled patronizing "concern" about the impact on hist reputation, both inside and outside the community. That is uncalled for.

He doesn't want to or doesn't have the energy to. Or he'd rather go get some ice cream instead.

To keep with the "putting a nice spin on things", I don't want to say you're trolling, but I do suspect you're making discussion for discussion's sake. Which I would generally ignore, but a) I skipped my breakfast and that makes me grumpy, and B) while lurking on this forum I'm pretty sure I've seen modders retreat due to undue pressure put upon them by entitled players. Which I won't point fingers at, because I don't want to put even more pressure on.

Anyhow, I'm done here, if this doesn't convince you to back off, nothing will.

Thank you!

I read Crazier's post last night and I have to say it left a really sour taste in my mouth. At first, I thought it was going to be a very well-written, well thought out message to the community. Even though it satisfies those criteria, it seems to be just another complaining fan-boy who wants his toys working NOW, as well as the fact that he can't seem to remember that this entire game, every bit of it, aside from Squad's efforts, it is completely free and is a hobby. Bac9 have been kind enough to spend a considerable amount of time using his talents, using his passion, to help make our gameplay that much better. Why can't we be thankful for that and leave it alone? Why do we have to chase, hound, and bicker about a lack of updates or the fact that he can't take a couple minutes to leave a message to let us know what's going on in his life? What does it matter?

As for Crazier's post, to get back to my original subject, I have to agree that it is just a thinly veiled attempt at trying to appear to take the high road, when, in reality, he is just like every other poster who wants an answer yesterday.

In the long run, whether or not we get a response, we get an update to this marvelous pack or not, what does it matter? How is it going to change things in the grand scheme of things?

It has only been a couple weeks since his last communication. Weeks, not months. Weeks.

TL; DR: Stop complaining, stop assuming, stop speculating, and, most of all, stop trying to use your newly acquired college prep courses, with all sorts of unnecessary flowery language, to cover-up the fact that you are complaining, assuming, speculating.

Edited by GarlandMP

How about we cut bac9 a little slack.

Text.

Bah, I keep saying I'm not trying to imply or expect anything of Bac9! I feel like I'm talking a different language here with all these assumptions that I want to force Bac9 to update us.

please stop with the long winded posts! yourmaking my ittle head hurt! waaaaaa~!

I'm sorry : c

Additional text

Look, I'm sorry you took that impression of me to work with. I really, after saying it multiple times, am not trying to force Bac9 to update. I'm not asking Bac9 to update us on the matter either. When I made the original post wherein I asked about "Why not give people a status update?" I thought I made it clear enough that I was simply attempting to promote discussion for discussions sake with the only intention being to get people thinking and talking. Though my original intentions seem to have worked, the result seems to be mostly comprised of how terrible of a person I apparently am.

I have already realized all of the good and true things that everyone has said about Bac9, I have acknowledged them, and I understand all that Bac9 could deal with. I know Bac9 is a human and all of that fun stuff.

I'll say it again: I am not asking for an update, I am not asking for any response from Bac9, I am not demanding anything or making any negative implications. Simply, I wanted to talk about the topic of "Why not give status updates?" because this it is related to this mod (related because the mod hasn't seen an update in a long enough time.) I could have made the same post with another mod for another game somewhere else, all with the same intentions, Bac9 didn't even have to be mentioned.

Making assumptions about what my intentions were really doesn't help anyone.

Anywho, there goes the post where I defend myself (defending youself on the internet is always a bit risky.) Let's see if it works.

snip blech

1) unless you pay the modders, all mods are gifts and should be treated as such.

2) "Why not give status updates?" is a loaded topic. The majority of people are going to think there is no acceptable reason, thus you are a bad person if you don't.

3) The mod is mostly functional as is, and can be made 100% with only 3 small steps.

- Update Firepitter.dll

- Update Exurgent.dll

- Optional (change the sideways flex stat on the landing gear to .02 or some such)

Bottom line is that Bac9 has posted that he has new parts in the pipeline and gave us a sneak peak. He also said that it would be some weeks before the update was ready. Hopefully he is able to do so, but if not...then the 100's of hours he's already provided me in entertainment will have to be enough.

If you take nothing from the above, then focus on line one. Mods are gifts, treat them as such.

1) unless you pay the modders, all mods are gifts and should be treated as such.

2) "Why not give status updates?" is a loaded topic. The majority of people are going to think there is no acceptable reason, thus you are a bad person if you don't.

3) The mod is mostly functional as is, and can be made 100% with only 3 small steps.

- Update Firepitter.dll

- Update Exurgent.dll

- Optional (change the sideways flex stat on the landing gear to .02 or some such)

Bottom line is that Bac9 has posted that he has new parts in the pipeline and gave us a sneak peak. He also said that it would be some weeks before the update was ready. Hopefully he is able to do so, but if not...then the 100's of hours he's already provided me in entertainment will have to be enough.

If you take nothing from the above, then focus on line one. Mods are gifts, treat them as such.

1) Of course. Mods are such delights that need to be appreciated by the people who use them. One does not look at the gifter and tell them that you do not like the gift (granted it's genuine) or something silly like that.

2) Are you saying that people will think you are a bad person for not giving status updates or people will think you are a bad person for not giving a reason?

3) I know this...? What?

I'm going to go the most obvious route and assume you think I'm trying to force Bac9 to update or I don't appreciate Bac9's work or something else that makes me the evil user of doom who hates modders and all that.

Well, you could at least try reading my last post if you haven't already.

Anyway, if no fingers are pointed in the wrong direction here, then I must ask what your first and third points had to do with anything related to my posts, because the first point is completely foreign to any discussion I was following and the third point is not something I particularly needed to know again. I appreciate the info, but I know how to play with the mod already and wasn't asking about that.

Hey guys! You know how Bac9's wheels look awesome? Have you noticed they might as well be made of Play-Dohâ„¢? Some of you may already have a fix, but for those of you pulling your hair out watching your landing gear go all wobbly, here's a module manager patch to the rescue!

@PART[B9_*_Landing_Gear_*]{
@mass = 0.5
}

Crazierinzane, I wasn't calling you out specifically. I'm sorry if that's how that came across. Please accept my sincere apology. Yours was merely the most recent post expressing our collective impatience and frustration. And that frustration is understandable because, let's face it, bac9 raised the bar for KSP modders everywhere.

A while back I heard an interview with a television writer. They said the secret to writing for a soap opera was imagine the absolute worst way a character could respond to something and then write that. Sometimes that is how it feels reading forum conversations.

My post was a response to reading page after page after page of complaints. I'd had enough.

I just wanted to remind folks (myself included) to keep some perspective and act like respectful adults.

Great work! Thanks! But, err... What do we do with it? I have ModuleManager, but it's too early in the morning.

I apologize, I sort of just figure everyone is used to these things by now. I'll put up a downloadable version for those who want it here.

In case anyone is interested, the problem with the gear is the mass is too low, causing a weak connection between it and other parts. The stock gear is .5, whereas Bac9 used ~.1 which explains why the stock gear doesn't get weak in the knees as easily. Struts don't seem to have an impact on this either, so as far as I can tell this is the best fix for it. The patch simply changes all of the landing gear to have a mass to match the stock gear.

I apologize, I sort of just figure everyone is used to these things by now. I'll put up a downloadable version for those who want it here.

In case anyone is interested, the problem with the gear is the mass is too low, causing a weak connection between it and other parts. The stock gear is .5, whereas Bac9 used ~.1 which explains why the stock gear doesn't get weak in the knees as easily. Struts don't seem to have an impact on this either, so as far as I can tell this is the best fix for it. The patch simply changes all of the landing gear to have a mass to match the stock gear.

Where do you drop this? Into GameData or a specific subdirectory?

Where do you drop this? Into GameData or a specific subdirectory?

Anywhere beyond GameData is fine. I suggest throwing it in the Bac9 folder just in case you remove that mod later on you don't have a patch for it lying around your directory.

~

~

What line are you speaking of specifically?

"sidewaysStiffness = 2" or "sidewaysAsymptoteValue = 17500"?

Reading continued activity on this thread, I wonder if people are aware that bac9 is no longer with Squad (no reasons were given, nor are likely to), and hasn't posted anything here since Christmas Day? I spotted him on the Unity3d forums, so I presume he's still working in that area.

What line are you speaking of specifically?

"sidewaysStiffness = 2" or "sidewaysAsymptoteValue = 17500"?

sidewaysStiffness = 0.02

Is what you should set it to

As far as I know, the other one has no effect on it.