[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

Is there a way to change how the control surfaces behave?

As an example, the stock Canard doesn't hit its maximum surface range as soon as you put in full input, it takes a second to achieve it, whereas the surfaces in the B9 pack here are pretty much 1:1 with the stick, or full input at the push of a button with no delay. I'd like the B9 parts to do as the stock ones, since anything that uses them becomes so sensitive they're impossible to fly, unless you use a small one on a large craft. But doing that means insufficient lift. I don't use a keyboard to fly, rather an Xbox controller, and even still they're way too touchy

Yes, in the VAB/SPH, simply right-clicking on the control surfaces allows you to alter how much force they generate.

Also, I love those flags you have created. Absolutely beautiful-looking.

-Garland

Maybe someone here can help me out. I love the new B9 parts, but I'm rather confused by the performance of some of the new engines; specifically the B9 Turbo engine (I think it's the D-30F7). All the numbers on its info tab indicate that it should be a solid improvement over the stock Turbojet: same thrust, lighter weight, higher ISP, lower air requirements. It should be a shoe-in for all my SSTO Plane designs, but even on my air-hogging-13-intakes-per-engine jet, it fails to pick up enough speed to reach orbit, plateauing at just under 1000m/s before losing altitude. Meanwhile, the stock Turbojet powers through orbital velocity following the exact same ascent profile.

Am I missing something, or misreading numbers? Or is this a problem with B9 itself?

Maybe someone here can help me out. I love the new B9 parts, but I'm rather confused by the performance of some of the new engines; specifically the B9 Turbo engine (I think it's the D-30F7). All the numbers on its info tab indicate that it should be a solid improvement over the stock Turbojet: same thrust, lighter weight, higher ISP, lower air requirements. It should be a shoe-in for all my SSTO Plane designs, but even on my air-hogging-13-intakes-per-engine jet, it fails to pick up enough speed to reach orbit, plateauing at just under 1000m/s before losing altitude. Meanwhile, the stock Turbojet powers through orbital velocity following the exact same ascent profile.

Am I missing something, or misreading numbers? Or is this a problem with B9 itself?

That's because of the Velocity Curve, which is only visible in the cfg files, and not ingame.

I was thinking that too, as well as what it would take to make stubby versions of the tail sections. The stock ones are great, but sometimes far too long for what I want to do with them. I've been considering what it might take to create some custom adaptations of some of these parts. Shoot, I wonder how hard it would be to modify one of the S2 reaction wheel or coupler parts to be a DE-coupler. Maybe just hack the config, perhaps. Hmmm...

i guess i'm going to be the Debugger guinea pig. oh well i'd love to debug it if you get to it XD

MechJeb, KW Rocketry, Kerbal Joint Reenforcement, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and one of the docking indicators are the only mods I run aside from B9.

As I said, I know from testing that D30s are worse than the stock Turbos, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why. The numbers all tell me that the D30s should be better than the stock, but they obviously aren't.

D-30F7

Mass: 1.3

Drag: 0.2

Thrust: 225

ISP: 1440 - 1625

Fuel Use: .14/sec

Air Use: 3.04/sec

Stock Turbojet

Mass: 1.2

Drag: 0.2

Thrust: 225

ISP: 800 - 1200

Fuel Use: .36/sec

Air Use: 5.37/sec

See what I mean? Unless my understanding of the numbers is wrong, the D-30F7 should vastly outperform the Turbojet at the cost of .1 Mass. But it doesn't. What I'm wondering is if there's something I'm missing or not understanding, or if the numbers are wrong somehow on one of these two engines.

That's because of the Velocity Curve, which is only visible in the cfg files, and not ingame.

Ah! That's what I was missing. That seems like a rather important piece of information. No wonder I couldn't figure out the problem in-game. :(

Thanks for the heads-up on that. :D

Edited by TLATopHat
Missed a post

Does anyone know why the B9 control surfaces of my spaceplane stopped working after reentry? I saved and loaded the game while the plane was docked to a station in orbit, and run FAR.

I would really like the show a screenshot but stupid steamwork seems down. I will provide one once it is back up.

Does anyone know why the B9 control surfaces of my spaceplane stopped working after reentry? I saved and loaded the game while the plane was docked to a station in orbit, and run FAR.

I would really like the show a screenshot but stupid steamwork seems down. I will provide one once it is back up.

Are you using FAR?

There was an older version of FAR that would cause this exact problem.

Any who, is there a possibility to add double high S2 fuselages, i.e.: a double-decker passenger cabin? Like on a Boeing 747 or Airbus A380?

While it should be possible to simply stack two s2 fuselages using part welding, I assume it would involve a measure of fiddling.

As a simpler (and thus a bit uglier) alternative, may I suggest an idea I used in a cargo/transport plane of mine:

xK3gDzy.png

My game crashes halfway through mod loading without any promts or anything when i try to use B9. Could it be a memory issue? I'm running KSPI, KAS, NovaPunch and HexCans and the output log says something about "DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!"

"Trying to allocate: 446444B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: Physics"

EDIT:

Ok I changed to the low res textures, it starts this time around at least

Edited by Kidneythump

My game crashes halfway through mod loading without any promts or anything when i try to use B9. Could it be a memory issue? I'm running KSPI, KAS, NovaPunch and HexCans and the output log says something about "DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!"

EDIT:

Yup, that's a out-of-memory error. I use this here on aggressive settings without the low-res texture.

EDIT:

get texturcompressor. it may make your B9 parts look butt ugly but it works. i have 40 plus mods and no problem so far.

having a weird error here. I have a spaceplane using the mk 2 cockpit that's in orbit, and when I try to load it from the space center, it loads the ship, and then everything behind the command capsule disappears. It also looks like all of the RCS thrusters are always on on the cockpit (even in SPH). Any idea what's up with that?

what is the trick to getting parts to mount inside the cargo bays? i cant get anything to stick to them.

Typically what I do is throw a radial attachment point outside the cargo bay, and then build the payload. After the payload is built, I move the whole thing (by the radial attachment point) into the cargo and then hope it fits.

Hope this makes sense.

what is the trick to getting parts to mount inside the cargo bays? i cant get anything to stick to them.

You can do what Raven said. Building the payload outside of the cargo bay may be helpful. When it comes to attaching things were you want them, get Editor Extensions: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/38768-0-23-Editor-Extensions-v0-6-5-Aug-%28EdTools-Editor-Tools-replacement%29

-Seriously, I couldn't do without it :)

Typically what I do is throw a radial attachment point outside the cargo bay, and then build the payload. After the payload is built, I move the whole thing (by the radial attachment point) into the cargo and then hope it fits.

Hope this makes sense.

how is it that every time i come onto this topic to put out a problem it's already solved...

Hello to all. I am trying to use the Sabre engines and I am having some problems. YES, I updated the firespitter.dll and the exsurgentengineering one as well. THe problem is that with the exsurgentengineering.dll in the load, my program is constantly spamming null references. When I remove the ensurgent, the error goes away.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if the answer is listed, I missed it. thanks for any help.

Hope this makes sense.

You can do what Raven said. Building the payload outside of the cargo bay may be helpful. When it comes to attaching things were you want them, get Editor Extensions: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/38768-0-23-Editor-Extensions-v0-6-5-Aug-%28EdTools-Editor-Tools-replacement%29

-Seriously, I couldn't do without it :)

how is it that every time i come onto this topic to put out a problem it's already solved...

thanks for the replies. so far thats all i've been able to do as well, i was hoping maybe there was another .dll i could update or something to get things sticking.

having a weird error here. I have a spaceplane using the mk 2 cockpit that's in orbit, and when I try to load it from the space center, it loads the ship, and then everything behind the command capsule disappears. It also looks like all of the RCS thrusters are always on on the cockpit (even in SPH). Any idea what's up with that?

Nobody has any idea what's up with this?