[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

And I never see an astronaunt with space suit inside a ship.

As Netris said, they used them on the space shuttle missions. One of the reason for this (or at least the use of these in the Soyuz progam) is that during the Soyuz 11 mission to Salyut 1 all three crewmembers died around re-entry. The hatch wasn't properly closed, which lead to pressure fall in the capsule.

After this the soviet space program decided that it was smart to put their cosmonauts in light space suits, which would save the crewmembers from suffocating in case of losing pressure.

They are not designed for EVA, but for keeping the wearer alive during depressurization.

Edited by Hocki

*Snip*

What was the function of those during ascent and re-entry? pressurized and sealed in case of minor non failure causing hull-breach? Like the flight suits for military fighter pilots to help maintain consciousness during a positive G maneuver? Everyone I think is familiar with the white EVA type, and I've seen the orange ones in clips and whatnot, just not familiar with their function.

Edit: I went and looked up stuff on it for anyone else who's curious about the suit used for the shuttle crew: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Crew_Escape_Suit

Edited by shadowsutekh

And I never see an astronaunt with space suit inside a ship.

Some capsules were designed to allow for what's called a shirt sleeve environment. At least one required it. One of the big differences between the early multi-astronaut missions of the US and the Soviet Union was that the latter had a capsule that didn't have room for an astronaut to wear a suit, and they lost a crew because of this. I think it was Soyuz 11 that lost pressure during reentry and the crew couldn't suit up.

I'm not sure, but I think just about everyone at this time has their astronauts in space suits for the actual launch, and possibly the reentry. Almost everything I've read on the Apollo mission has mentioned the astronauts getting strapped down inside their suits because they had to be very tightly secured.

Haha, well I imagine that you was talking about the white EVA suits becoz you said that they can not go sit like normal passager with those suits..

Those are more like kerbals suits, lets see how many humans enter in 1 m3 with space suits.

baikonur05_16441745_edited.jpg

Now the S2 structure that we are talking has 24 m3 and there are only 6 little kerbals :) But how i said.. maybe is not for transport...

About the deaths by pressure fall, I didnt know that.

But is weird how a ship made in 1971 is still in use with small variants. In space the most basic designs are the ones that works better for the cost.

How I said in the last post, I found problems trying to make the S2 fancy lines fly.

My goal is remplace my old shuttle that is made with 2 extra parts, Munox and the cargo box, but the pod transport looks like an school oomnibus and the cargo looks like a trash container :)

But the iva view is nice, 18 kerbals sit with the windows.

I use it to remplace all the kerbals in the space station and for carry oxigen, food, etc.

cargo_shuttle_ksp.jpgb9ksp10.jpg

The thing under the shuttle is my best creation so far, transport any ship until 20000m at +-400 m/s and it launch from there, then lands safety.

I like the shapes of b9 mod, but is hard to make them fly.

Here is what I am talking about:

b9ksp9.jpg

I want something that can reach space and come back to base planing or using engines.

This is my progress so far:

b9ksp8.jpgb9ksp3.jpgb9ksp7.jpgb9ksp4.jpgb9ksp6.jpgb9ksp5.jpgb9ksp2.jpgb9ksp0.jpgb9ksp1.jpg

If i use wings to planing in the re-entry it loose the control at high speeds and is almost imposible to recover, idk why..

If I use only engines, I will need many of them just to rise the empty shape, and still need some flags or ailerons to maintain stability. And this mean death weight to carry into space.

So any hint? Someone want to join the challenge?

Edited by AngelLestat

Any ETA on when those SABRE engines will be in the hand of well trained professional..... oh wait.... poorly trained goofballs looking to blow things up? :)

Rule n°1 : never ask for an ETA to a modder. He'll release what he wants when he wants. That means between now and when it's released.

Some sneak peaks of new content arriving in version 2.6.

09KgDqO.jpg

Wkev8El.jpg

BPDyN1U.jpg

Update: And some ingame screenshots (album):

966phz2m.jpg

I am trying to make the fancy S2 structures fly (just becoz they look awesome). But is hard.. well "I can", but not with the effiency and control than I am looking for.

Also there is no example airplane for those shapes.

More example crafts will be added in 2.6.

Other thing, and this is a ksp problem. If you want to lift for example 2 orange tanks, you need less engines to do it in vertical way than in horizontal way with wings.

On the contrary as the reality.

I think you just need more lift, that is quite heavy payload. And keep an eye on CoM, if it's too far in the front you won't be able to lift your nose even if you technically have enough lift.

And one question or suggestion: Why the crew structures carry so few kerbals? For example the 6m crew structure only carry 6 kerbals, a normal airplane in the same structure size may carry like 20 people

Because there is no efficient way to manage large crews in EVA and there is zero fun in being able to carry entire team of your whole space program in one crewtank. Crewtanks are large enough for use in crew ferrying spaceplanes and for other applications like that, and building a passenger jet capable of carrying 100 kerbals is a cheap and pointless exercise.

Also, it will be great if you can give another utility to the S2 intake air structure, maybe some windows to carry crew?

It can't be used for any additional loads like fuel because KSP employs faulty mass-dependent drag model. Effect of it is multiplied by intake module, resulting in intakes of significant mass producing ridiculous levels of drag. We have used some workarounds to return S2W intake to reasonable drag levels while maintaining mass needed for proper connections, but I don't think that pushing these tricks further is a good idea. There are plenty of parts to carry fuel and crew anyway.

The firespitter plugin is there for the fancy computer in the EVA.

Not only that, it powers some other stuff and can be useful for anything from functional IVA toggles for staging to airbrakes and from fully controllable VTOL engine rotation to joystick in IVA moving with user input. It's a powerful tool.

Could we please have the craft files to the great looking ships that are shown on the inspiration albums?

No, they are using multiple other mods and as I've said most of them weren't flyable in the first place. Reference well-built crafts from Taverius instead.

Edited by bac9

SCDV Vonnegut

QMuBT23h.png

Bar any new applicable parts that'll be the example cargo SSTO in 2-6. Obviously without the satellite, I built a random pseudo-satellite out of KSPX parts to have an upper limit on the mass I wanted to be able to cart to LKO. You don't have a heck of a lot of fuel left over, but I was able to get to a circular 96k orbit, drop it and deorbit. You can even cart a little more up there, if you really really need to.

Someone asked for a hypersonic cargo plane example ... I'll see about that, but really you could just replace the engines on the Strugatsky for turbojets and there you have it.

And yes, it does look very similar like the Bradbury ... with the wing parts in the pack there's only really so many basic layouts that work in the kind of constraints I design with when making example crafts.

Very nice looking parts so far. Especially the new engines.

However, I'm curious about one thing. About the new turbojet engine you're including. Can you give any details? Is it any larger and more powerful than the standard turbojets? The problem with these parts is they're huge, and they're heavy. Now, normally, that wouldn't be a huge concern. Unfortunately, as things are now, that means in order to get decent TWR you have to include lots of the stock turbojets, which increases part count considerably, especially factoring in all the necessary strutting, and frankly, it just doesn't look good to have lots of comparatively small turbojets on a huge craft.

Larger, more powerful, turbojets would go a long way to solving that.

Anyway, looking forward to the next release.