Largest space station!

• 1 month later...

Oh its on baybay. Part count 597 tons.

1172818_10151580781991725_77188546_o.jpg

1150561_10151580782216725_953426589_o.jpg

1149396_10151580782336725_125691853_o.jpg

Here is my "build" thread from day 1 to the final build stage with tons of pics. To clear things up i only completed it because lag was getting too intense.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/45602-Tripzter-Space-Station-%28Evolution-and-completion%29-Image-heavy

screenshot30.png

K-Nor 3

Build in orbit as a single piece.

450*450km equatorial orbit.

Maximum 145 Kerbals.

Docked to one of the upper pylons is a Runabout evacuating carrying 8 Kerbals.

(In the past I've build much, much bigger stations but those where all made up of a few dozen parts.)

The criteria of this challenge are to...

1. Create a space station with a minimum crew of 10.

2. Not have more than 6 different ships that make up your space station.

3. The station must orbit at over 120,000 meters in altitude.

4. One of the 6 craft must be a escape pod (i.e. a spaceplane) in order for at least 1 Kerbal to return.

The rest is up to you, the winner will be decided by me, in order for you to win you must submit at least 1 good picture of the craft(s).

Bon chance mon amis!

gtrusler

send pictures to [email protected] or post them.

well you need to fit and save all 10 so that is what the craft has to carry:mad:

Here's one I built earlier. Four launches to deploy, it was eventually scrapped as the part count/lag was getting ridiculous.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1185311_327777404024930_544608672_n.jpg

Orbital mass: 425 tons (fully fueled, and yes it's missing a few engines - couple mishaps with space debris ) (plus one spaceplane at 4.7 tons)

Hence, surface thrust-to-weight ratio (Kerbin): 1.75 (not enough to get it off the ground!)

Crew capacity: 28 (current complement: 29 incl. 1 spaceplane pilot)

Power: capacities:

LOX: 33.6KT

Fuel: 27.5KT

Monopropellant: 8.7KT

Max. Electrical Output: 57.7KW

Part Count: 867

Orbital mechanics:

Apoapsis: 151.2km

Periapsis: 149.5km

Period: 36m13s

Inclination: 0.1 degree

Orientation: 0.0 mark 0 (North, nose to polar horizon)

I will be giving it another go (and yes, I WILL be using the Luvodicus "cheaty" nuclear engine!), this time round with hopefully fewer parts to try and mitigate the lag problem.

Oh, here was one I built as a single stage launcher in June. She was BIG. No crew beyond what I could dock to her though; she mysteriously exploded midway through an approach manoeuvre.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1077882_321133874689283_2062982844_o.jpg

• 10 months later...
well you need to fit and save all 10 so that is what the craft has to carry:mad:

4. One of the 6 craft must be a escape pod (i.e. a spaceplane) in order for at least 1 Kerbal to return.

If you look at his space station it's obvious there are windows all around which would imply that these are personnel space rather than fuel. His docked ship is capable of carrying 8X the number of Kerbals the rules clearly state is needs to. Thanks by the way for re-posting them so I didn't have to go back to page 1. I will, however point out that the screenshot doesn't actually show any crew so considering this is obviously a craft of mod parts, perhaps he should provide some proof that there are sentient life forms aboard? I'm not even in this competition, I just hate seeing people being poor sports splitting hairs like this. You are not prepared to enter a competition unless you are prepared to be outdone and congratulate those who outdo you.

• 9 months later...

I’ve build this station during my first career game in KSP 0.24. Its purpose was the completion of various Station Science contracts - e.g. study animals/kuarqs/plants in orbit of Kerbin/Mun/Minimus etc…

Therefore, I decided to build a station which is easy to steer (with robust connections and the center of mass barely in the center of station) and provides all basic parts of the Station Science mod.

The deployment of the station in Kerbin orbit (200km AP 176km PE) took me four launches plus one for the experiments.

After completing its mission at Kerbin I transferred the station to Mun and Minimus which required additional launches to attach an engine module.

It may be not the largest station but quite a nice one :wink:

OSioKVV.jpg

• 3 months later...

OK, I think this one qualifies:

Terrapin Station Mk-II

iQYbmec.png

She is fully automated, but can house 80, plus 2 researchers in the central lab. And the shuttle can carry 5. She's in a keostationary orbit (2,869km) above the KSC. Oh, and there are four extended docking ports, so even my biggest ships can dock safely.

Her stats are (including the shuttle)

Electric 17,500

Liquid fuel 25,660

Oxidizer 16,500

Monopropellant 3368

Ore 3000

Mass 385.88

I now have 4 of these stations, each over a major planet, with lighting to match. But the one over Kerbin has an escape shuttle, so I'm entering that one.

F8y5JbM.png

6HLEj8B.png

AGRjygR.png

Edited by Just Jim
forgot a stat

• 4 years later...
On 4/21/2013 at 5:02 AM, gtrusler said:

The criteria of this challenge are to...

1. Create a space station with a minimum crew of 10.

2. Not have more than 6 different ships that make up your space station.

3. The station must orbit at over 120,000 meters in altitude.

The rest is up to you, the winner will be decided by me, in order for you to win you must submit at least 1 good picture of the craft(s).

Bon chance mon amis!

gtrusler

send pictures to [email protected] or post them.

Actually it’s ‘mes amis’, as ‘amis’ is plural.