[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

What do you mean by "standalone"?

Meaning without having the eject system and parachute boxes for the capsules and in the VAB. Roxette helped to get me sorted, I had everything I needed but hadn't installed the parachute models.

Having an interesting problem: the parachutes work, however there is a massive delay when they activate. They say "fully deployed" but nothing happens and my kerbals slam into the ground at high speeds. Sometimes if I press space+f twice it'll work, but most of the time it does not. What do I need to do to get them to work like in Tiron's video?

I have a similar problem to bloxgate's, where i semi-deploy the parachute, but fails to do so.

Here's what I found in the logs:

[LOG 10:18:04.278] EVA parachute semi-deployed

[LOG 10:18:04.282] exists: False

[EXC 10:18:04.286] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This line repeats several times, as I tried deploying it through the right-click menu, and every time it failed.

I really need these to work as most of my creations fail the first time they fly.

Edited by Mrsupersonic8
Bug report time!

Something's wrong with your installation, more specifically, you're missing GameData/VNG/parachute/model.mu. Reinstalling the parachute mod (the plugin itself seems fine) should fix that issue.

Something's wrong with your installation, more specifically, you're missing GameData/VNG/parachute/model.mu. Reinstalling the parachute mod (the plugin itself seems fine) should fix that issue.

I have the parachute model installed and sometimes it'll work. Most of the time nothing happens. My log entry is almost identical to Mrsupersonic8's except mine says "exists: true". Is there anything else that could cause the problem?

In that case, it's definitely not the model... Does the context menu say that the parachute is deployed even when it clearly isn't?

Does the NullReferenceException right after the exists-check also show up?

In that case, it's definitely not the model... Does the context menu say that the parachute is deployed even when it clearly isn't?

Does the NullReferenceException right after the exists-check also show up?

No, every time I tried, It just said "ready". I'll reinstall to check, though.

Reinstalled, didn't help. Even the ejection module is broken! I hit SPACE + F but Bill and Jeb dug themselves a ten-foot grave with a fighter plane. I checked the logs and I didn't find anything that could point to an error, though.

(You can just tell this is a brand new technology to the Kerbals, as they have little knowledge of safety systems. :rolleyes:)

>Mrsupersonic8

The ejection module uses action groups, not Space+F. It's in the abort (backspace) action group by default.

>bloxgate

Sorry, but I'm not sure what could cause this, since you are both installing and using it right. Maybe it's a mod conflict, which other mods do you have installed?

I am using the following mods:

• Interstellar Mod
  • Krag's Planet Factory
  • KAS
  • Kethane
  • Extraplanetary Launchpads
  • Mechjeb
  • Blizy's Toolbar
  • Alternate resource indicator
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Hot rockets
  • Cool rockets*
  • Distant object enhancement
  • Clouds and city lights
  • Texture replacer
  • Active texture manager agressive version

*Might be called cryo rockets not really sure

That's all of them that I can remember off the top of my head.

So... If my chutes don't deploy, even if i click 1284 times the "Semi/Fully deploy" button, what do i do? I reboot the game? I got a hard time trying to get a Kerbal back to kerbin without any chutes, only EVA Vanguard chutes (Playing Vertical Techtree), had to time it right because the chutes never wanted to deploy, i had luck, the capsule exploded, i EVA'd and i fell on top of the fuel tank + small engine, it bounced and i could save the kerbal, but i don't want to do that again

Ok... Here: http://www./download/x7gn2ntj1p18f6d/KSP.log

I was looking at it, i found this:

[LOG 13:20:48.680] EVA parachute semi-deployed

[LOG 13:20:48.685] exists: False

[EXC 13:20:48.690] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[LOG 13:20:49.182] EVA parachute fully deployed

[LOG 13:20:49.186] exists: False

[EXC 13:20:49.190] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[LOG 13:20:49.441] EVA parachute fully deployed

[LOG 13:20:49.445] exists: False

(Thats a chunk i got out of it, i don't know the exact order of stuff, and i think thats the moment i started spamming "Semi Deploy" and "Fully Deploy", because i was 1km above ground lol)

At first i couldn't even grab a chute (No option to do so), then i noticed i forget to install the plugin, i installed it and now it just doesn't work

As far as i can see i already have model.mu in there, i'll reinstall then :)

Oooh... Wait... Why do i have VNG-Parachutes, inside there i have Gamedata, and then inside VNG? lol i don't know why i did that

Is there a way for the parachutes on the kerbals open automatically at a set height, both semi-deployed and fully deployed?

I've been having troubles with having to change to 5 kerbals quickly just so they don't die in from ejecting from a failed take off. Or having to shift between 5 separate kerbals attempt to click and deploy the chutes on each one.

Many thanks in advanced, and sorry if I speed read over the information already.

Damaske

Is there a way for the parachutes on the kerbals open automatically at a set height, both semi-deployed and fully deployed?

I've been having troubles with having to change to 5 kerbals quickly just so they don't die in from ejecting from a failed take off. Or having to shift between 5 separate kerbals attempt to click and deploy the chutes on each one.

Many thanks in advanced, and sorry if I speed read over the information already.

Damaske

If you hit SAPCE+F together, it deploys all parachutes no all kerbals, semi above 100m (above terrain) and hit it again once less than 100m from the terrain to fully deploy all of those under 100m. Hope this helps, and may many kerbals live through these 'failed take offs' from this day forwards.

Hmm, there is an exception being spammed around the time when you deploy, and googling it gives me Lazor, so try updating that mod. Maybe the EVA stuff from lazor errors out and prevents my part module from running.