[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

Didn't I see something about kerbals with EVA chutes by default? oh wait I think its the real chutes thats going to integrate them both.

It's a separate plugin:

There's now a little plugin that adds parachutes to any Kerbal without requiring parachute boxes -> *click me* (Doesn't replace anything, so you can just add/remove it whenever you want... but of course you have to install this mod first Also this doesn't use the R&D system and will give you parachutes from the very beginning.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25305?p=442982&viewfull=1#post442982

Mod is still 1.0 capable :)

Though, chutes use 100 drag and that might want to be adjusted.

This mod is compatible with every KSP version from 0.23 to 1.0 :P

Edit: Updated thread title, removed the (Dec 30) since it referred to December 30 in freaking 2013. How this mod still works is a miracle even to me.

Edited by Kreuzung

This mod is compatible with every KSP version from 0.23 to 1.0 :P

Edit: Updated thread title, removed the (Dec 30) since it referred to December 30 in freaking 2013. How this mod still works is a miracle even to me.

Thats great. P.s I knew this allredy

Sorry for being dumb, but where exactly should everything be placed? (In particular, what should the path to VanguardTechnologies.dll look like?) The parachutes work fine if I use the plugin to equip them to everyone by default, but equiping them from the parachute box never does anything

Sorry for being dumb, but where exactly should everything be placed? (In particular, what should the path to VanguardTechnologies.dll look like?) The parachutes work fine if I use the plugin to equip them to everyone by default, but equiping them from the parachute box never does anything

Oops, I missed that

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ModuleKrEquipKerbal.EquipNearbyKerbal () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at BaseEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIPartActionButton.OnClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>

So... "almost" 1.0 capable. The chutes work, but the box doesn't :(

*Also fixed the issues with my tiny plugin... sorry about preemptive confirmation :(

Problem:

public override void OnLoad(ConfigNode node)

{

if (node.HasNode("MODULE")) {

moduleNode = node.GetNode("MODULE");

}

}

"node" gets cleaned at some point later on, leaving moduleNode null (90% certain here as modulenode is valid at the end here, but invalid later on)

Okay, setting to static "fixes" the problem but breaks the plugin for other mods... so the plugin must be unloaded at some point.

Edited by Fel

I love this mod. It's always been super handy but the boxes are ugly and overbuilt. If there is anyway for the part to become unnecessary, or even aerodynamic or even in tune with the same colours of the crafts. Any sort of parts redesign at all?

Okay, setting to static "fixes" the problem but breaks the plugin for other mods... so the plugin must be unloaded at some point.

So, I can't quite tell - did you upload a fixed version, or were you just thinking aloud? :P

Also, someone mentioned that it does't work for female kerbals?

I love this mod. It's always been super handy but the boxes are ugly and overbuilt. If there is anyway for the part to become unnecessary, or even aerodynamic or even in tune with the same colours of the crafts. Any sort of parts redesign at all?

Put it in a service bay, it won't bug you nearly as much.

The best way? find the plugin which makes them built into the kerbal by default. Then you don't have to even mess with the box and can delete the part completely. It's on the CKAN, but I'm not sure where else it is available.

So, I can't quite tell - did you upload a fixed version, or were you just thinking aloud? :P

I fixed the boxes by changing

public ConfigNode moduleNode = null; to

public static ConfigNode moduleNode = null;,

I was just informing Kreuzung as it isn't really my code to tamper with; and... gender based pronoun, is still active so it still can get patched later.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a problem for 1.0 for this mod:

Female EVAs don't have parachutes.

The best way? find the plugin which makes them built into the kerbal by default. Then you don't have to even mess with the box and can delete the part completely. It's on the CKAN, but I'm not sure where else it is available.

I uploaded a fixed plugin for that (That was my code so I didn't feel bad about it). If CKAN wants to host the wrong code or whatever that is suppose to do, then it isn't going to work. It's linked from the first page.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25305-1-0-Vanguard-Technologies-EVA-parachutes-still-works/page2?p=442982&viewfull=1#post442982

To emphasize again, the female kerbal eva issue is purely mine and I uploaded a fix for that.

You do not have to "install" any source file in KSP. Modders were/are required to included it to insure there isn't a dark menacing virus lurking inside their code, I believe. You can safety ignore it.

I found a bug and managed to do it over and over. If you fully deploy the parachute it sends you of to space at least for me...

I can see from the toolbar you have a lot of other mods on there, but can't easily identify all of them.

As I use the chutes routinely I know they work fine on their own, and I'm aware that currently they are completely ineffective with the new FAR version, but I've never seen the effect demonstrated in your video. If you'd care to test by removing other plugin-based mods individually on a test savegame to identify which is causing it, that would be great, otherwise at least post a list of the other mods you're using so somebody else can help identify the cause. :)

I already checked Hullcam VDS as that was an obvious first suspect as it adds the camera module to the kerbal, and there's no problem there...

Edited by Roxette

Is there a way to make the ejection module actually eject the kerbal? It's really annoying to try to eject and the kerbal is still holding on to the ladder... At least make it so thy don't grab the ladder. MAYBE even add an upwards force so they fly away from the plane or whatever they're ejecting from. Also, space+F only part way deploys the parachute unless you're almost at the ground. Maybe make space+use multi use to where it half deploys the first time you hit it and then fully after the second time.

Edit: please. :)

After I removed most of my mods if I semi deploy then fully deploy it wont ping of into space.

I know it's a PITA but if you could re-add them one at a time and test, you can find the actual culprit... Good luck, we're all counting on you :D

I know it's a PITA but if you could re-add them one at a time and test, you can find the actual culprit... Good luck, we're all counting on you :D

I removed all my mods then put them back one by one and didn't happen at all. I validated ksp and had some files missing and that fixed it so maybe my game was corrupted.

And it happens to be my save it worked fine on new saves but the one I was using turns out to be broken.

... it happens to be my save it worked fine on new saves but the one I was using turns out to be broken.

I hate it when that happens. There's clearly something funky in the save file. It may be possible to fix it by editing the file manually, but the effort involved in tracing and attempting to rectify it is probably only worthwhile as an adventure for its own sake, or to reclaim a lot of structures that much kerbal blood, sweat and tears have gone into. If you'd care to upload it somewhere I'll have a shot at it if you'd like.

Link for the plugin "add to all EVA" dose not work for me. Is there a mirror ?

And I dont have the mentioned EVAParachutes.dll , I got both files and I have the box but cant get the chutes and cant eject either... whats going on ?

Edited by balu0