[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

I hate it when that happens. There's clearly something funky in the save file. It may be possible to fix it by editing the file manually, but the effort involved in tracing and attempting to rectify it is probably only worthwhile as an adventure for its own sake, or to reclaim a lot of structures that much kerbal blood, sweat and tears have gone into. If you'd care to upload it somewhere I'll have a shot at it if you'd like.

Here's a link for the save: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k2h3lfwyk2su0ed/AAD3YaZHpTPv-ZqVT_gTfqSWa?dl=0

Now I made a MM patch to add "ejector seats" to all command pods using the following:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleKrEjectPilot]]:Final{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKrEjectPilot
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKrKerbalParachute
//how much drag it has when fully deployed
deployedDrag = 5
//minimum air pressure for deployment
minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04
//x and y scale for when in semi mode... so the actual parachute area in semi mode is semiDeployedFraction^2
semiDeployedFraction = 0.0025
//thought it whould be nice if the chute was higher in semi mode
semiDeployedHeight = 10.25
//time in seconds it takes to deploy, or to go from semi to full mode
deployTime = 3.0
}
}
}

Which works, as in Jeb ejects and Space+F pulls his rip cord, BUT... notice the wildly different values for deployedDrag, semiDeployedHeight, etc? That's what I have at this moment because I was trying to see if those variables were having any effect - they aren't. I delved into this because at this point Jeb descends at a VERY slow <1m/s with a fully deployed chute taking forever even at 4 x warp to reach the ground.

Is this by design?

Note I have NOT tried this test with a parachute that Jeb takes from the box but when I apply these values to the "ejection" part supplied in the mod, the result is the same - it's ignoring the values I set.

Now I made a MM patch to add "ejector seats" to all command pods using the following:

@PART
MODULE
{
MODULE
{
deployedDrag = 5
//x and y scale for when in semi mode... so the actual parachute area in semi mode is semiDeployedFraction^2
deployTime = 3.0
}
}
}

Which works, as in Jeb ejects and Space+F pulls his rip cord, BUT... notice the wildly different values for deployedDrag, semiDeployedHeight, etc? That's what I have at this moment because I was trying to see if those variables were having any effect - they aren't. I delved into this because at this point Jeb descends at a VERY slow <1m/s with a fully deployed chute taking forever even at 4 x warp to reach the ground.

Is this by design?

Note I have NOT tried this test with a parachute that Jeb takes from the box but when I apply these values to the "ejection" part supplied in the mod, the result is the same - it's ignoring the values I set.

Ok, just spotted the "does not apply to ejected kerbals" bit in the change log.... So, NM...

Seeing as how that's the case, I believe according to your license that I could alter your DLL and release it myself, as long as I give you credit for the original work. (I also know that releasing the parachute part would require seperate permission from CardboardBoxProcessor) Is that correct?

I think I may change the defaults and trim the extra functions that aren't EVA chute related - and if I like my result well enough, it might be nice to release to the players as mod.

• 2 weeks later...

@PART
MODULE
{
MODULE
{
deployedDrag = 5
deployTime = 3.0
}
}
}

Is this by design?

Maybe someone can help me get this setup: it's an MM module? I tried making a .cfg with these parameters but I don't think it is working. Can someone give me a quick run through? I might be doing something wrong.

And also: I too am wondering how to modify the decent rates when the chutes are deployed/semi-deployed. Is that in the .dll?

• 2 weeks later...

In my KSP setting page, i get a funny message on top of the screen. (Everysince i installed VNG 0.7.2 on my new KSP 1.0.2.

It says "Vanguard Technologies Asset Database Printer - Save asset list to kspdir/assetlist.log"

Can someone explain this ?

Would you consider exposing the settings for the eva parachute in a cfg file so we can edit drag values? They seem a little high and lead to a excessively slow descent. Thanks really enjoy the mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have a question. I did some testing and found out that when you're in the air, it doesn't *eject* the kerbal as it does when on the ground and even when moving over the ground. All it does is put them on EVA and they hang on the ladder. Am I doing something wrong?

I have an issue with this marvelous mod. When I Abort, only one Kerbal is ejected from a pod, cause the "hatch is blocked". If then I switch back to the ship I can eject another one. Sometimes this is dangerous...

Hey, I have a question. I did some testing and found out that when you're in the air, it doesn't *eject* the kerbal as it does when on the ground and even when moving over the ground. All it does is put them on EVA and they hang on the ladder. Am I doing something wrong?
I have an issue with this marvelous mod. When I Abort, only one Kerbal is ejected from a pod, cause the "hatch is blocked". If then I switch back to the ship I can eject another one. Sometimes this is dangerous...

This has been an issue since 1.0 came out. I have been having the same issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i have a bug. when iuse the eject button and right cklick the kerbal and push the deploy buttons nothing happens.

same here, the ejection works just fine and the drop-down menu has semi and fully deploy parachute but when i click on them it has no affect. help!