[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

• 2 months later...
I have an issue/quirk with Kerbals having two parachutes instead of one, both of which open when I hit jump+use. There are definitely two as I can also deploy them individually using the Kerbal's context menu. Any thoughts on the possible cause/solution? I'm using the plugin that removes the need for the parachute box.

• 1 month later...

Any chance a context menu option to activate the Eject could be added. I would appreciate being able to eject pilots to save them before having upgraded the relevant building (can't remember which it is) to unlock action groups.

35 minutes ago, Sahadara said:

Any chance a context menu option to activate the Eject could be added. I would appreciate being able to eject pilots to save them before having upgraded the relevant building (can't remember which it is) to unlock action groups.

You can use the Abort command. By default the parachutes box works with the Abort.

5 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

You can use the Abort command. By default the parachutes box works with the Abort.

Well I was referring to the eject module. I want it because it should be able to override the inability to EVA in the early game. I tried activating it with abort because it is set to that by default, but it seems you still need action groups for abort to work. Also, doesn't the parachute box just function to let Kerbals grab parachutes from it? This isn't what I need for emergency situations as I use the plugin to give kerbals chutes by default.

4 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

In that case, I don't know... I usually don't play career mode...

Alright thanks anyways. I guess I'll just be VERY careful with my planning and flight before unlocking action groups and/or EVA. I hate it when my Kerbals die.

Edited by Sahadara

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to share this here too...

Sometimes GAP contract development can be quite fun... :)   see link in my sig.

Jebediah Corliss's skydiving school, Corliss Paraventures class out on a jump together as part of a career contract...

qh6LmdZ.jpgGGQ8BMW.jpgrMQ8jL0.jpggkKaADj.jpgWODMfjW.jpg3a9pgso.jpgClzSkL8.jpgCg9J6au.jpg

Did a few open air airplane (Command Seat only craft) skydiving test. I have all kerbals equipped with a chute with auto equip. One pilot, one jumper.

When I bail and hotkey deploy the jumper, the jumper's chute opens, but the pilot's also deploys. This is because the pilot is in the range of deployment with the hot key when triggered. 

Can I submit an enhancement to have EVA Parachutes put a toggle on a Kerbal with an equipped chute to Group Deploy set by default to enabled... so I can disable Group Deploy for that one Kerbal when I need to?

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:57 AM, inigma said:

Just had to share this here too...

Sometimes GAP contract development can be quite fun... :)   see link in my sig.

Jebediah Corliss's skydiving school, Corliss Paraventures class out on a jump together as part of a career contract...

qh6LmdZ.jpgGGQ8BMW.jpgrMQ8jL0.jpggkKaADj.jpgWODMfjW.jpg3a9pgso.jpgClzSkL8.jpgCg9J6au.jpg

A link to this mod in your contract pack as a hint to use this mod for your skydiving contract would be sweet. had to browse the forums to try and find a way to do the skydiving bit. wasn't too hard, but would have been nice ;)

Also noticed this link in the first post:

There's now a little plugin that adds parachutes to any Kerbal without requiring parachute boxes -> *click me* (Doesn't replace anything, so you can just add/remove it whenever you want... but of course you have to install this mod first :P Also this doesn't use the R&D system and will give you parachutes from the very beginning.

Is broken. anyone know where I can find this bit?

Edit: also seems this mod might not work all the time? first couple of tests worked ok, but then randomly killed one kerbal on eject, and kicked the other onto an escape trajectory from the solar system, as soon as the parachute deployed. pretty sure poor valentina's parachute wasn't supposed to kick her out of the solar system.

Edited by vardicd

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2015 at 1:01 PM, tg626 said:

Ok, just spotted the "does not apply to ejected kerbals" bit in the change log.... So, NM...

Seeing as how that's the case, I believe according to your license that I could alter your DLL and release it myself, as long as I give you credit for the original work. (I also know that releasing the parachute part would require seperate permission from CardboardBoxProcessor) Is that correct?

I think I may change the defaults and trim the extra functions that aren't EVA chute related - and if I like my result well enough, it might be nice to release to the players as mod.

Hey @tg626, it looks like @Kreuzung gave you permission to release your version of EVA Parachutes as a separate mod going forward:

On 5/15/2015 at 2:58 PM, Kreuzung said:

You can go ahead with your own version, I'm unlikely to update this anytime soon.

So @tg626, how about releasing your modifications to this mod in a new updated thread? :D 

Edited by inigma

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2016 at 4:46 PM, inigma said:

So @tg626, how about releasing your modifications to this mod in a new updated thread? :D 

Yeah.... I never really moved forward with that.  Tho I might come back around to it, it won't be too soon (for one this, Realchute was making big strides at one point toward an EVA chute and I wanted to see what that was going to be...

• 4 weeks later...