[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

I cannot get this to work I copied the VNG folder to my GameData folder and i have the models showing up in game and VAB but when i on EVA and try to get a parachute from the box nothing happens also the ejection module does not work either. I do not understand what is wrong.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46478498/output_log.zip

Here is the log it is a rather big one as my last session lasted several hours. What i was doing is that i build an upwards facing rocket engine and used it to find out which engine will catapult me the highest and i wanted parachutes to keep the kerbals alive. So i attached one parachute box to the lander can containing the kerbal. On the demonstration video you get an option to get a parachute when you click the box in my case nothing happens when i click it.

Looks like you're missing VanguardTechnologies.dll.

EVAParachutes.dll only adds parachutes to every Kerbal and is optional, while VanguardTechnologies.dll contains all the required stuff. So just download the plugin from the first post and install it.

Maybe I should make this more clear in the first post...

Edit: Updated the "FAQ" in the first post...

Edited by Kreuzung

• 3 weeks later...

An idea for you, probably has popped up before but, what about adding a hotkey? For triggering parachutes fast, or in situations where clicking your kerbal isn't very practical.

SgMaCCI.png

I suggest "P" as it's not doing anything and it makes sense. A second press could change it to fully deployed perhaps.

Space+F (Or whatever you mapped EVA jump and EVA use to) should do it :P

Awesome! Maybe this should be in the instructions of the first post somewhere?

(If it is my eyes must be failing me. I' may have to put them on probation.)

Eh, it says so somewhere in the spaceport page. Should change this at some point...

BTW, I'm currently thinking about some changes in the background structure of this mod. Main reasons for that are:

1) It seems that EVA parachutes don't get saved, reloading a Kerbal with a parachute makes him loose the parachute

2) Some people do want to have a parachute on every Kerbal (while others don't)

3) With campaign mode finally coming closer to us, I'd like to implement a parachute upgrade which can be purchased for individual Kerbals, so that you can save your best guys in most situations

I'd implement this in a way that the EVA parachute module is present on all Kerbals in a deactivated state, and is activated only when that Kerbal actually has a parachute. This whould probably help solving the "enter a pod with a parachute and it's gone" inconsistency too.

Please let me know what you think about this^^

Don't headbang to brutal dubstep for more than 3 hours nonstop. Just don't. You'll have an instant headache everytime you move your head a bit faster than normal. Own experience.

For some reason I like the idea of the parachutes being a thing that you don't have by default. It sounds like your implementation is the best of both worlds though. I'd recommend a line in the cfg that specifies whether all kerbals will start with a chute by default and pretty much everything else you said sounds great.

Especially the part where parachutes have to be bought for individual kerbals in the campaign. . .

"No no Delmont, this is Jeb's parachute. Now I need you to make sure and hold the ship steady so that he doesn't hit it when he jumps out, okay?"

Thanks for the feedback^^

I was gonna add that config line, just forgot to say that.

I think adding some useless text below your post makes you seem more intelligent, but I guess that text actually has to be something intelligent, not something silly. Please see these lines as something intellgent.

I would say in campaign mode they shouldn't, but in sandbox they should. However if they ever make it that you can move about you station/craft internally, then I definitely vote that they be turned off to all kerbals no matter the game mode.

I was actually looking through the source to see the best way to do this XD.

Well, just from copying source I already have.

*Link does not contain the Vanguard plugin nor replaces said plugin, it merely attaches the module as specified in the part.cfg

License is "Do Whatever you want with this source code"

What folder do I put this in?

Have you considered auto-deploying parachutes?

just so like if I have multiple crew men being ejected I don't get tangled up in switching back and forth (because it has a history of being buggy)

Actually I have, but didn't implement them because it makes using this mod too easy in my opinion. If you want to deploy parachutes on all Kerbals, use the keyboard shortcut (jump+use, which is space+f by default).

In order to get this to work I had to rearrange the file structure to keep the game from hanging on the loading screen.

I put the "parachute" folder with the mesh stuff and the EvaParachutes.dll into

\GameData\VNG\

The ejection seat and parachute box folders had to be moved to

\GameData\VNG\Parts\Utility\

The only problem I am having now is that with the EVAParachutes plugin added my Kerbals get 2 sets of deploy options when they use the ejection seat. Presumably once for the ejection seat module and once for the "all Kerbals get parachutes" dll.

On the subject of possible changes, I'd like to see a part that you could put on your ship that automatically gives kerbals parachutes as they exit. This means you still need then with you, but are more likely to survive as your plane collapses on you.

WTF... why did you have to rearrange? That makes absolutely no sense to me... weird bug. Well, it's fixed now anyways :P

You're probably right about the reason for the double parachute module, however it shouldn't do harm unless you derp around setting both modules to a different deploy state :P

Edit:

>Tw1

Good idea, will see what I can do.

Just loaded your current versions, and removed the older ones first. Seems as though the textures are not showing up.

Love the Mod, but for some reason I have not had any success with it since .20.2

edit: Sorry, just read the entire thread again, I see you know the lost textures, my bad for not reading first. Still can not seem to get the ejection system to work, will give you an update if I cant figure it out.

thx for all the hard work...from Oregon

Dren

edit: Tried on several of my separate installs, cant seem to get it functioning again. Also tried to DL the plugin for all kerbals parachutes and sorry if im being an idiot, but I click the link, then it takes me to the standard DL for the Mod. Cant seem to get that dll file no matter where I go. Might be nice to have a direct DL link for it on spaceport. anyway, I am going to try a complete fresh stock load, and give it another shot.

Thx again

Dren

edit: Ok, dont know if this is something you are aware of, and its really sucks for me, but I think if you remove the Internals (spaces) then your Mod does not function. PLEASE confirm and see if you can fix this as I do not waist the ram space on cockpit views.

Thx Dren

Edited by ArkaelDren

WTF... why did you have to rearrange? That makes absolutely no sense to me... weird bug. Well, it's fixed now anyways :P

You're probably right about the reason for the double parachute module, however it shouldn't do harm unless you derp around setting both modules to a different deploy state :P

I do not know if the file structure change was absolutely necessary, but when I added the mod the game would hang on the loading screen on the parachute box part.

I figured it must be something to do with the new file structure for .20.x so I reordered the folders to match the file structure of another .20.x compatible mod and it worked perfectly afterward.

Edit: Is there some way that it will automatically go from semi to fully deployed once you trigger the parachute like the other parachutes in the game do? It makes more sense to have a single "deploy" button instead of a semi and full deploy option. Why would I ever want to not deploy it fully?

Edited by Smurfalot