[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

vlEpr.png

The marketing of the new company's pioneering technology, raw materials and other industries.

Our Products:

Plugin (0.7.2) | Download from Dropbox | Documentation | Changelog

For those who are wondering, this is a separate download because other mods (like this one for example) use it as well.

Controls: For the ejection module, use the abort action group. For the parachute box, get near on EVA and use the context menu. To deploy parachutes, either use the context menu or press Jump and Use (Space+F unless you remapped the keys).

EVA Parachutes (1.2) | Download from Dropbox | Requires the Plugin | Changelog

---Research Survivability (for Parachute Box) and Supersonic Flight (for Ejection Module)!---

Controls (all keys given assume that you did not remap any keys in the options menu or the config file, if you did:

-The ejection module activates with the abort action group (backspace or mouseover the altimeter, then the red button to the left), but you can of course put it into any other action group, too

-To get a chute from the parachute box, get within 1m of it and then use the context (right-click) menu

-To deploy chutes, either use the Kerbal's context menu or press Jump and Use (Space+F). Jump+Use has the advantage of opening chutes on all Kerbals in range (good for mass ejects), but you may have to hold it down for a short time or it won't work (not sure why)

There's now a little plugin that adds parachutes to any Kerbal without requiring parachute boxes -> *click me* (Doesn't replace anything, so you can just add/remove it whenever you want... but of course you have to install this mod first :P Also this doesn't use the R&D system and will give you parachutes from the very beginning.

CJDKT.png

License is CC BY except for the parachute model, ask CardBoardBoxProcessor if you want to use it for anything, he made it.

NAQ/OAQ (Never Asked Questions / Once Asked Questions)

Q | What's wrong with that first sentence and the part descriptions?
A | Nothing really.

Q | Why do I have to download two files to use this mod?
A | The plugin is required for other mods as well, so people might have to download only that thing. I don't really know why it's so hard to download 2 files anyway.

Q | When I try to deploy the parachute, nothing happens and the Kerbal falls to death!
A | 2 possible reasons:
1) You are missing GameData\VNG\parachute\model.mu. That file is required for the parachute to open, you can download it with the parachute mod.
2) You have another copy of VanguardTechnologies.dll in your GameData or Plugins folder and that one's outdated.

Q | I can't even eject / get a chute from a box!
A | You're probably missing VanguardTechnologies.dll, scroll up to the plugin section of this post. Fel's EVAParachutes.dll alone doesn't work!

Edited by Kreuzung

• 3 weeks later...

Bugs are ironed out?

Excellenty.

This will be a great safety feature.

Plus I can now build one of those kerbal launcher things without feeling guilty about sending them to their deaths.

Heyas Kreuzung! Great to see this mod is still working, and it's still just as awesome :)

That said, question: Is there a way to add the functionality of the EVA Parachutes to the current stock radial-regular-parachute model? Say, copy the radial parachute part and have the copy act as the EVA one? If so, would you mind running me through the steps? I'm slow when it comes to editing parts afraid of breaking things as I have a tendency to do D:

Thanks so much in advance!

> Tw1

The ejection module on itself is already some kind of Kerbal catapult, haha

> monababii

I'm not sure what you mean with adding the functionality to the stock chute.

If you want it to work like the parachute box, use this code:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKrEquipKerbal
//amount of parachutes
count = 5
//max equip distance
range = 1
MODULE
{
name = ModuleKrKerbalParachute
//how much drag it has when fully deployed
deployedDrag = 100
//drag increase/second because I didn't like instafulldrag
dragIncreaseSecond = 50
//minimum air pressure for deployment
minAirPressureToOpen = 0.01
}
}

just add that to the part.cfg, you can change the parameters too if you want^^

Hope this helps, if not, take these percent signs and throw them at me:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Hey! thanks for the speedy response!

I think I will take those ghetto shurikens and save them for another request :P it looks like you gave me just what I wanted! but then again I'm slow at editing things so may not even work the way I want it lol, but I'll try it. What I meant is basically have one of the stock radial parachute models act as your EVA parachute part. Simply put, use the model of the stock radial parachute on your EVA parachute part.

That said! Where should I add that entire code? should I start a "new line" to add all of that or should I replace something in the stock part.cfg's file?

Thanks again :)

EDIT: I think I understand now where to add that code, basically replace what's in the part.cfg's where it says

"// ----- DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS POINT ------". At least I hope that's it lol.

Edited by MonaBabii

Still too dumb to follow... You mean replacing the parachute itself with the stock one? That's not possible as the models are built in a different way...

Thought you just wanted to replace that horrible parachute box.

[...]Thought you just wanted to replace that horrible parachute box.

This is exactly what I wanted :P

Edit: Well I wouldn't call it horrible honestly lol, it just doesn't match any of the parts I use D:

Edit 2: It worked :D Thank you!

Edited by MonaBabii

Well I wouldn't call it horrible honestly lol, it just doesn't match any of the parts I use D:

I know, I'm thinking about reworking them, but my 3d skills are like nonexistant... Dunno why, I'm getting better and better at 2d arts, but everytime I start Blender I end up ragequitting.

Well you don't really need a super special intense detailed model :D I mean all I'm doing is using the radial parachute package model for your EVA chutes, and the stock radial part isn't exactly a piece of 3D art :P what makes it work is the texture :D

Edit: Also if I may suggest something for whenever you feel like updating this again, if ever :) It'd be great if you could take the parachute and then get back inside the pod/cockpit. This would be mainly so you could do things like... launch the game with an airplane, come out of the cockpit, grab your chute, get back inside the plane and take off. Only then I would dare use the ejection mechanism on an airplane xD

Edited by MonaBabii

Yeah, and I can't texture ;(

The only artistic thing I can do with a computer is fake pixel art (using layers to cheat with shading) and anime colouring...

I'll see what I (or someone hired by me) can come up with though... should really also change to .mu then^^

Edit: It's kinda nice that this thread isn't dead anymore... keep some random discussion in here so that it stays on the first page, haha...

O0g7Mqd.png

h5brIUG.png

7HUutj4.png

whcJN2E.png[spoiler/] You meant something like that ?^^

I got a question, would it be possible to be able to throttle the angine from eva? Iv made an jetpack model part, and got the motor runnig etc but i cant throtthle from eva, is there a way ;)? cheers

Edited by ahappydude

Thanks :) How would one do to do that ? Maybe you left some clue in your source hmm.. If i could get it to work then i could amke my jetpeck throttable to which would be cool to rls to the players. I would ofc ccredit you for helping out =) cheers

Perhaps a smaller, second parachute could be added, and you deploy that before opening the main one?

You'd still only grab the one thing, just trigger then separaly as you fall.

Just to save the poor little guys from getting wiplash

I don't mind the parachute box. It's a nice splash of colour, and easy to spot when added to stations.

I'm going to have a few guys jump from the station, to try it out tonight!

>ahappydude

I thought about writing a simple throttle controller for that... have to look into the details though, and I won't do that with the headache I have right now...

>Tw1

I could add that if time allows... There's actually a whole lot of smaller changes to do in this mod, but I never find the time to go through them.

I could add that if time allows... There's actually a whole lot of smaller changes to do in this mod, but I never find the time to go through them.

I know the feeling...

I'm having some technical difficulties at the moment.

Basically:

xjD0InX.jpg

I've put the parts in the parts folder, the plugin in the plugins folder, and plugin data in the plugin data folder.

My kerbal collected the parachute from the station, then proceeded to de-orbit himself.

The Deploy Parachute button appeared in his little click menu, as was supposed to happen.

But then, after falling through the atmosphere, when I click to trigger the parachute, nothing happens. F9 time.

Have I missed something?

Edited by Tw1

Check the PluginData. If PluginData\vanguardtechnologies\parachute\model.mu doesn't exist, it won't deploy. I've had that a few times now, and it's the only problem I can think of.

It seems to be there...

RjM595D.jpg

Is it 100% necessary to give the plug in with that address? I just put the parachute folder straight into the plugin data folder.

>ahappydude

I thought about writing a simple throttle controller for that... have to look into the details though, and I won't do that with the headache I have right now...

A controller ? Hm that sounds like what i been looking for :) Ofcs dude, its no problem take your time =) I got headache problems myselfy to often then my likinig (migraine, i think i spelled it right ?) Thanks in forhand , and thanks for the reply :) Kool that its possible to do^^ cheers

Can you send me the stuff so that I can actually work on it? :P

I doubt I can do anything this week but I should have some free time in the 2 following ones... If I don't waste all of it seeing this over and over again.