[0.211] isplore rover

7/27/13 UPDATE [0.211]

I just went from scratch on it.

-Added reaction wheel

-SUPER WIDE BASE

-More RCS. Because who wants to run out.

-Weight is 2.32 wet, 1.68 dry

CRAFT FILE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wai5fdxvzt9oxc2/isplore5%20lander%20stock.craft

PICTURES!

H5SkBay.png

KQTivna.png

TUR4G7p.png

SrfcrKr.png

VIDEO:

:D

About the lander:

[1] toggles solar panels. I hid a couple RTG's on board so you kind of don't need them.

[2] toggles the aerospikes, turn the off for more ISP or on when you need high thrust.

Feel free to modify but careful not to mess with leg height, right now it's set perfectly for rover to re-dock and resupply the RCS fuel.

It's not exactly minimalist, theres more weight and fuel than it needs for mun. I have not tried Duna yet but that's my intention with all the chutes and stuff. Still need to do d/v tweaks, this was mostly slapped together to play on mun quickly. Good luck!

5/26/13 UPDATE

MBWFI2Y.png

-changed most of the panels to the non-deployable type. these have higher output per weight and don't bust off.

-deleted an RTG and re-added the science dish. overall is more dependent on solar and there's more of it.

-can go 100% on the ion and 100% on wheels if in daylight on kerbin. should still be quite capable on distant moons.

-keeping the new wheels still for now. They work well as long as NO DRIFTING. I'm holding out hope they tweak them in next update.

-raised the height a little so that docking port provides more rollover crash protection. Simple lightweight fix on that one.

-fixed a wheelbase error

I just updated the d/l file, it should still work for you. overall weight is same, just under 2t.

5/24/13 UPDATE

New version, the isplore2.5e:

d9Z6hCy.png

yAP7dO2.png

dw6uFY7.png

seBGbPC.png

Features:

-The seat! This provided substantially reduced weight

-New wheels! They are tougher, weigh less, more traction, and seem more stable at speed. WIN.

-Even more reduced weight!

-Extended the wheelbase even wider by a little bit. It's also much shorter, easier to tuck under a lander.

-More solar power for the ion downforce maker. In broad daylight on Kerbin at can go full power.

-Kept the RCS and Avionics as they have proven invaluable during offroad adventures on remote lower-gravity planets and moons.

Specs:

1.94 t

RCS ~450m/s

ion ~1450m/s (1hr 36m)

Notes:

1- turns on science bits

2- ladder

3- high speed mode (no rear steering for stability, no front motors for lower power draw)

4- toggle solar panels and ion space spoiler.

*Surface speed for solars in atmosphere is ~10m/s max. Very easy to bust these off. But any planet with atmosphere has enough gravity for ion to be useless! So this should be a non-issue.

*While it is very difficult to flip this thing, I should mention that during testing I've noticed that failure to keep it shiny side up is bad. Previously the extra lander legs provided good rollover protection, I am opting for reduced weight instead.

Craft file (STOCK):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze9q83ezq0y8ewz/isplore2_5e%20stock.craft

The isplore3 is discontinued, the seat works well enough to not need a command pod for this type of vehicle.

The non-e version is also discontinued. Because it's lightweight enough I am happy to leave the ion on there so no matter where i go the feature is there if I need it.

I'm working on a manned lander to accompany this.

Also from new on I will only be sharing stock versions of the files, so you will have to slap the MJ and GPS on yourself. This last update sent a lot of our favorite mods into a tizzy.

(in the screenshots I put MJ on the bottom of the rover)

-------------------------------------------

5/12/13 MASSIVE UPDATES

I basically just re-wrote this entire first post instead of starting a new thread. In case the responses seem odd.

h9wut8J.png

0Va2Wey.png

It's a basic probe rover. I wanted something faster and more capable at high speed than the "micro" scale probe rovers but still lightweight.

It features full science loadout and a ladder "seat" cockpit if a kerbal needs a lift. Lightweight and log COG makes it nearly impossible to flip under it's own power. RCS or hills can get it going to 60m/s and it runs stable. Aviation SAS helps if you seem to be catching lots of air. RCS system helps keep you out of trouble, especially on low grav planets.

Built so that you can drag it off the command probe and add to a dock port on your launch vehicle.

I have 4 versions of the isplore rover for you:

isplore2.2: updated rover with a few tweaks

isplore2.2e: packs an ion engine for continuous downforce

isplore3: contains a proper command pod for kerbal to ride inside

isplore3e: the isplore3 with ion for downforce

all versions come with skycrane attachment, parachute is on the skycrane. the 2.2 also has launcher which you can use for unmanned missions. or not.

all versions compliant with subassembly mod, the primary pod is "extra" so you can drag the craft off onto your other stuff.

isplore2.2

YgAJhYL.png

update from original isplore 2 mainly: more power! can run continuously now. Still might have to disable 2 of the 4 motors depending on sun.

Notes:

1- turns on the science and opens dish.

2- deploys ladder and opens the crash cage for driver to hop in. top 2 legs seem to be timed different, you may have to manually close them on the driver's head, they keep him tucked in.

3- high gear. toggles off steering on rear wheels, and motor power for front wheels. Powering all 4 helps with accel but does nothing for top speed, and I skimped on RTG because of weight. Only powering 2 wheels there's plenty of juice.

isplore2.2e

9J1juZQ.png

Added ion engine to provide continuous downforce to assist low-grav driving. Because derping around on Bop was painful.

This variant is slightly heavy towards the rear, nothing pod torque can't handle though.

(4) will toggle the 3 extra solar panels and ion engine. Testing on Kerbin I was able to go >50% throttle on the ion and keep it juiced, also the panels didn't fly off even when turning at 40m/s. (used RCS afterburner to test). Hitting the airstrip like a stunt ramp bounced em off tho.

I will get it tested on minimus tomorrow. I expect normal driving in no atmosphere should be no issue.

isplore3

sAYhqSN.png

6sn1nfd.png

Because I wanted a proper command pod for the kerbal pilot. This variant weighs about 1t more.

The weight is still centered and low. Wheelbase is extended a little, still very stable.

The skycrane is 2 side-mounted parts, keeping low COG so that it drives very well with it still attached.

Notes:

2- turns on the science and opens dish.

3- high gear. toggles off steering on rear wheels, and motor power for front wheels. Powering all 4 helps with accel but does nothing for top speed, and I skimped on RTG because of weight. Only powering 2 wheels there's plenty of juice.

isplore3e

LTha0fY.png

You guessed it, the isplore3 with extra downforce engine!

4 toggles ion engine and deployable panels.

SPECS:
isplore2.2
1.77t
3.19t w/ skycrane 1.28TWR 1106m/s

isplore2.2e
2.27t
xenon 2633m/s (3hr 12min)
3.89t w/ skyscrane 1.05TWR 874m/s

isplore3
2.81t
5.75t w/ skycrane. 1.42TWR 1257m/s

isplore3e
3.33 t
xenon 1777m/s (3hr 12min)
6.27 t w/ skycrane. 1.3 TWR 1131m/s

original isplore craft file (contains mods): http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/isplore-rover/

isplore2.2 (with mods mechjeb 2.0, protractor, kethane): https://www.dropbox.com/s/f66ec7jxnrymbg1/isplore2_2.craft

isplore2.2 (STOCK): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovn063ikngu1g7y/isplore2_2%20stock.craft

isplore2.2e (mods): https://www.dropbox.com/s/846fmrkf29c3yh3/isplore2_2e.craft

isplore2.2e (STOCK): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bopqe14bukrx7a/isplore2_2e%20stock.craft

isplore3 (STOCK): https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmj1paxu3300a9m/isplore3%20stock.craft

isplore3e (STOCK): https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf992jxujewo4rw/isplore3e%20stock.craft

edit: changed prefix because I am providing 100% stock versions of all craft files.

Edited by automcdonough
0.211 update

(EDIT: OUTDATED)

isplore S

XH8BcRo.png

It's heavier but has cabin and thrusters for safer manned operation. Not really tested much but if you want the craft file I'll put it up. Like the other, the probe is the primary part. So it's easy to drag/drop the whole thing but it won't start manned (can use the party mod tho!).

I'm a bit torn between this vs making a complete lander kit. This is capable in the sense of landing itself and hauling ass, but I will probably lean more towards lightweight unmanned rover(s) dropping off a larger lander with return capability.

Edited by automcdonough

99% stock parts (MJ, protractor, rovermate all slapped on for control options, are non structural). Just delete them if you're a purist. You can get the weight a lot lower if you don't want the kerbal cage or RCS. whatever. I think it looks cool and managed to stay under my weight target.

'Just delete them if you're a purist.' LOL If even one of the mods you mention is not installed you won't be able to load it. How can you delete a part if you can't load the vehicle in the first place?

OK, you could go into the .craft file and remove it there but that's a bit too much. Wouldn't it be easier to offer it without those mods?

I thought it just gives warning/error and loads the craft without those particular parts? It's been a few versions since I've tried.

If there's any interest it's easy enough to upload a 100% stock one. Those are popular mods tho, didn't think much of it. And I did put a little thought into how they are fitted on there.

• 2 weeks later...

So I modified the isplore 2 slightly (smaller antenna, kethane scanner, KAS port), and dropped it on Minmus. Landing a small rover and using it to find a flat area suitable for a larger kethane drilling base worked out really well, and now I've got Kerbals on the surface they're using it to explore some.

I found the rover drove really well while I was testing it on Kerbin, but on Minmus it seems to drift a lot. Suspect the light weight combined with the low gravity makes it hard for the wheels to get much traction. Maneuvering at low speeds is a major hassle, but for getting around longer distances it's great. I wouldn't mind trying the S model to see if the added weight makes it handle any better.

EDIT: I just read http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25775-Why-won-t-my-rover-wheels-grip-re-post and it's general weirdness with rover wheels, nothing to do with this rover in particular. Apologies.

Here's Bob cruising down from the low plateau my base is on to check out one of the frozen lakes.

isplore-minmus.png

Edited by stibbons

I'm glad you like it. :)

I was afraid of that with the low grav, that's why the RCS. keep your finger hovering over the 'plant this thing into the ground' button and blip that every time you get bounced. works well for me.

Keep an eye on the center of mass, I used that larger antenna to fine tune the balance when adding the avionics. Driving with that on really helps keep it planted over bumpy areas. If you temporarily remove the mono tanks you'll see bigger changes from moving the small weights around.

Edited by automcdonough

Introducing the probe explore kit!

2HVphpn.png

For when you don't want to subject living creatures to your awful piloting skills.

Star of the show is the isplore rover of course. There may have been minor tweak here and there but it's basically the same.

-Includes a lander skycrane (~1100dv) with the parachute moved over to the crane part. It drives ok if you leave the crane on, not quite as topheavy as it looks.

-Nuke engine pusher to get you there (~6150dv). This is intended to be left in polar orbit as your GPS sat, detach the rover once you determine a landing spot.

-3 stage launcher (~5300dv). Basic launcher for orbit.

non-stock version has a kethane scanner, rovermate, mechjeb, ISA mapsat, protractor.

stock version is identical with that stuff all deleted.

(loaded) https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjvvpk6tzjl8hby/Probe%20explore%20kit.craft

(stock) https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9hcnpnasuqc1xn/stock%20probe%20explore%20kit.craft

edit: skycrane d/v was off

Edited by automcdonough

Tried to go to one of Jool's moons and came out of time-warp to see that the space kraken had paid a visit. :/

I hate when that happens.

Eve wasn't a good enough test because the atmosphere is so thick just the parachute handled it, didn't need to use skycrane at all. Plus couldn't find any anomalies to visit.

I'll say this much, 6k d/v is plenty of fuel to get pretty much anywhere :D

Wish I could take credit.. The whole crash cage thing isn't new though. Kerb's grip on the ladder isn't nearly enough to hang on through a turn! The roof is needed too, for some reason going over bumps without it the kerbals keep going higher and higher up the ladder until they fly off.

I did some driving around on Bop last night. Handles great except for the low-grav traction issue, nothing I can do about that.. the RCS was VERY helpful because even going only 6m/s was enough to turn a hill into a stunt ramp! Flight SAS does a good job too.

This was the longest drive too, running out of juice because more of an issue. I'm going to update this with some solar panels, I really don't want to add another RTG because they are kind of heavy. Also the skycrane has like twice the fuel it needs! The single tank is convenient but going down to probe tanks should lighten it up. Stay tuned.

Also I've decided to get back to the manned pod version as well. The ladder seat just isn't doing it for me.

As promised did my low grav test.

Results = space spoiler DOES work. I still wasn't able to hotrod around everywhere like on mun but it made the difference between it being drivable at all and just ice. The sun is dimmer there too so for normal cruising had it set low. Set it higher when trying to accel or turn.. and if i needed to do anything quickly just used RCS because overall the ion is pretty underwhelming (as usual). But it got there. I'm a little torn on if it's worth the weight compared to just more RCS fuel or maybe an ant motor setup. I picked ion because you can let it cook for hours for a lot of driving around..At least it looks neat :D

4lzmJHX.png

eW09mwd.png

• 2 weeks later...
This rover will be amazing with the new seats in the update

Guess what, IT IS.

Version 2.5e coming shortly. It's got an extended wheelbase, shorter total height (easier lander/skycrane setups), lower COG, and weighs in at just under 2t. This just about doubled the RCS d/v.

It also is packing an ion (space spoiler) and enough solar to run it at full throttle in ideal light conditions.

I just have to finish tweaking ladder placement to the kerbal to climb in and out. Ran out of time last night running field tests.

I'm happy with the new wheels. lighter and tougher, and look cooler. People saw that they work better in low-grav too. This with the ion should be great. :D

also this new version with the solar deployed looks awesome. just wait for tonight :D

5/24/13 UPDATE

New version, the isplore2.5e:

d9Z6hCy.png

yAP7dO2.png

dw6uFY7.png

seBGbPC.png

Features:

-The seat! This provided substantially reduced weight

-New wheels! They are tougher, weigh less, more traction, and seem more stable at speed. WIN.

-Even more reduced weight!

-Extended the wheelbase even wider by a little bit. It's also much shorter, easier to tuck under a lander.

-More solar power for the ion downforce maker. In broad daylight on Kerbin at can go full power.

-Kept the RCS and Avionics as they have proven invaluable during offroad adventures on remote lower-gravity planets and moons.

Specs:

1.94 t

RCS ~450m/s

ion ~1450m/s (1hr 36m)

Notes:

1- turns on science bits

2- ladder

3- high speed mode (no rear steering for stability, no front motors for lower power draw)

4- toggle solar panels and ion space spoiler.

*Surface speed for solars in atmosphere is ~10m/s max. Very easy to bust these off. But any planet with atmosphere has enough gravity for ion to be useless! So this should be a non-issue.

*While it is very difficult to flip this thing, I should mention that during testing I've noticed that failure to keep it shiny side up is bad. Previously the extra lander legs provided good rollover protection, I am opting for reduced weight instead.

Craft file (STOCK):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze9q83ezq0y8ewz/isplore2_5e%20stock.craft

The isplore3 is discontinued, the seat works well enough to not need a command pod for this type of vehicle.

The non-e version is also discontinued. Because it's lightweight enough I am happy to leave the ion on there so no matter where i go the feature is there if I need it.

I'm working on a manned lander to accompany this.

Also from new on I will only be sharing stock versions of the files, so you will have to slap the MJ and GPS on yourself. This last update sent a lot of our favorite mods into a tizzy.

(in the screenshots I put MJ on the bottom of the rover)

Edited by automcdonough

I've pinpointed it, the new wheels don't slide (drift) at all. this is the source of all my troubles. if you can drive perfectly straight and not cause any lateral forces they work excellent. As soon as you go to turn, the friction in that direction is too high, not compensated for in gravity or something. much like the brakes.

I'm going to stick with them for now, the increased traction for stop/start seems worth it. the stiffer suspension is prob not helping here but the tougher wheel makes up for it.

edit:

also I will add some rollover crash protection. The small legs do a great job of this and don't weigh much.

Edited by automcdonough

Oh, wow. Finally got to time to try the new rover in 0.20 with a trip to the Mun. Love how it handles now. Bill did some impressive acrobatics after applying the brakes while cruising at 21m/s, but after cleaning the inside of his helmet I think he likes the new design too.

isplore-mun.png

isplore-bill.png

So, an extended wheelbase version coming soon. doing lots of testing to try and get around the issue of the new wheels having way too much friction and not sliding.

pvssZ9D.jpg

that triple-shot is on it's way to mun as we speak. :D

Also,

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33512-0-20-A-better-and-more-realistic-wheel-for-the-Kerbals-who-are-still-alive-%28WIP%29

This wheel is kind of awesome.

yw5Lh6f.png

If you go non-stock I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

7/27/13 UPDATE [0.211]

I just went from scratch on it.

-Added reaction wheel

-SUPER WIDE BASE

-More RCS. Because who wants to run out.

-Weight is 2.32 wet, 1.68 dry

CRAFT FILE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wai5fdxvzt9oxc2/isplore5%20lander%20stock.craft

PICTURES!

H5SkBay.png

KQTivna.png

TUR4G7p.png

SrfcrKr.png

VIDEO:

:D

About the lander:

[1] toggles solar panels. I hid a couple RTG's on board so you kind of don't need them.

[2] toggles the aerospikes, turn the off for more ISP or on when you need high thrust.

Feel free to modify but careful not to mess with leg height, right now it's set perfectly for rover to re-dock and resupply the RCS fuel.

It's not exactly minimalist, theres more weight and fuel than it needs for mun. I have not tried Duna yet but that's my intention with all the chutes and stuff. Still need to do d/v tweaks, this was mostly slapped together to play on mun quickly. Good luck!

Oh and it DID get me home easily.

Duwt9xI.png

8adK1PI.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.