[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

Yeah, I was looking into the source code of this plugin and it looked like they were (for us not understandable) chatting. So of course not a useful answer but simply the message send after receiving one. Exactly what you showed in your example.

Fabian

• 2 weeks later...
Does it support RemoteTech with adding a delay between message and response according to the distance between the control and ship. Or only send messages from/to the ship without any answer when the ship has no contact. (And a “nominal†message every few messages is a must :P )

Fabian

It doesn't support anything fancy like RemoteTech or even line-of-sight to Kerbin at the moment. It's a good idea and I will ask JDP about a way to do it.

Hey, Iannic, would you mind if I added that module to capsules for the ''pack''? That would ensure anyone would get Chatterer automatically ;)

Sure, you can pack it up however you want.

In the original thread Baalzebob gave permission for free use of the model and I like this alt texture. Share a link to the new files will ya?

I realize this is like a month late, but here's the texture file: http://www./download/ka4pv1sf9d54dqy/model000.tga

For those that missed the post on the first page, it changes the textures of the radio model to fit in better with the stock stuff.

FRXIlWz.png

ver 0.3.2 did not work for me in KSP 0.20 when I installed it in the GameData folder with the Part { } wrapper in the parts CFGs. I haven't tried the old install method. Personally I'll just wait for an update.

Chatterer 9.3.2 works perfectly just by putting it into the legacy folders.. - it will do us for now until the author of the mod updates it to use the new folder structure :)

I was hoping someone would check that, thanks!

I have 0.20 now and started working on an update. Here's what's planned:

* Move plugin files to /GameData to use the new database (done)

* Add and play your own custom chatter sets (in progress)

* Chatterer requires ElectricCharge

* Optional Quindar tones with volume control

* RemoteTech compatibility to delay or suspend chatter when out of contact

* New chatter set

As far a I love all the other planned updates, I don't think kerbals need electricity to talk.

As much as I realize this is a game, I have to disagree. Kerbals need electricity for pretty much everything. Don't forget they aren't talking to each other within the craft but with the Mission Control.

As much as I realize this is a game, I have to disagree. Kerbals need electricity for pretty much everything. Don't forget they aren't talking to each other within the craft but with the Mission Control.

Didn't think of it that way

The Chatterer functionality should be bolted on to stock antennas then, come to think of it - what exactly is the point of that extra part then? Since there's a native stock part config override mechanism now, and it's only a matter of time before the stock parts transition over to that, that will probably be the preferred method to use it. :)

It should probably not consume power if there's nobody in the ship to talk with Mission Control, though...

The Chatterer functionality should be bolted on to stock antennas then, come to think of it - what exactly is the point of that extra part then? Since there's a native stock part config override mechanism now, and it's only a matter of time before the stock parts transition over to that, that will probably be the preferred method to use it. :)

It should probably not consume power if there's nobody in the ship to talk with Mission Control, though...

If there is nobody in mission control then the probes and pods can still transmit data between the craft and the M/C. It's not like all functionality disappears as soon as kerbals are out and you only have a hunk of dead metal floating through space :)

Unless there would be an off switch :)

And yes I agree with that it should be bolted to antennas. Actually, that would be possible, I think there is only 1 line of code you would need to add to the part.cfg files of these parts and it should make them into Chatterer-modules.

If Iannic would kindly agree to that, I could do that :) (he will know what I am talking about)

And yes I agree with that it should be bolted to antennas. Actually, that would be possible, I think there is only 1 line of code you would need to add to the part.cfg files of these parts and it should make them into Chatterer-modules.

According to this post, eventually you wouldn't need to alter stock parts at all, as you could override their configs.

That needs more investigation though.

How do you precisely make it work with 0.20? I mean that new folder structure is lil bit confusing...

For now don't use the new GameData folder for this plugin. Keep using the old Parts, Plugins, and PluginData folders as before.

If Iannic would kindly agree to that, I could do that :) (he will know what I am talking about)

You really don't have to keep asking :) I have no objections to how you use it or repackage it as long as you are not trying to be malicious or make money from it.

Edited by Iannic-ann-od

To be completely fair, KSP is a non-relativistic physics simulator, with ships that routinely break (our) speed of light. Maybe in the Kerbalverse communication truly is instantaneous.

Thats why I use RemoteTech to add at least signal delay.

Thats why I use RemoteTech to add at least signal delay.

Comebined with mechjeb and other autopilots, RemoteTech is more about making the network and be able to control your ship than the delay itself since it works only on that remotetech simple computer.

There is some good news and some bad news.

Good news is I put a lot of time and effort into an update with a bunch of new stuff.

Bad news is that I can no longer get the audio to reliably play 100% of the time in 0.20. The clips always play but under certain conditions they play completely garbled up and warbly and generally sound like ****.

I'm not sure if it is a bug or if I am not doing something right?

I've noticed it only while in 1x timewarp. 5x or higher and there is never a problem. Only 1x.

It doesn't happen while sitting on Kerbin's surface or launchpad, but while between 15-50km it will slowly become more garbled and ****ty. Higher than 50km and it seems to smooth itself back out and work fine again. No problems in orbit.

Haven't noticed any problems while interplanetary, but as soon as I dropped into a 50km moon orbit it became all ****ed up again. Absolutely mind-boggling.

I've been trying for two days to get someone from Squad or another plugin maker to help me with this but I hear nothing but crickets.

I don't want to keep all the new stuff from you all but I don't want to let it out knowing that it's ****ed up 50% of the time.

What do you think? Do you want it now in this state or wait?

Problem solved thanks to r4m0n and TIL a little something about 2D and 3D sounds.

Edited by Iannic-ann-od