[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

I can't get it to work :( I've put everything in Game Data, icon shows up, menu is accessible but there is no sound. Apollo and ISS chatter sets show 0 bytes in menu. Any advice?

I had the same problem. In my case, the problem was in the russian characters in the path of the game. Try to use only english characters, for example D:\Games\KSP. Maybe this will help)

PS: Sorry for my bad english, it's Google translator.

Check the debug log (Alt-F12). It will often tell you why something is going wrong.

To decide whether to play beeps or chatter, the plugin only checks for Crew Capacity. If it's zero, it'll beep. If it's > 0, it'll chatter. I don't know why some mods are causing this but I will work around it. I could add a button to switch between beep and chatter menu? I kind of like that.

Well that would explain why I heard chatter - Progress obrital module has 2 spots for crew, though they don't contain crew. Maybe it should check how many kerbals are actually on board to define it? After all, a mannable spacecraft travelling empty, on autopilot, would not produce chatter either.

As for Soyuz Descend Module, when I add chetterer to this part (it's a marked as CommandPod in part.cfg) right after entry about loading this particular part there are 4 entries of NullReferenceException. If I try to do something with the frozen part, it starts to spam this entry. adding chatterer to a different part than Descend Module solves the problem. Also there are no such issues with any other pods from BobCat's Soviet Pack. Note that I've also added Mechjeb 2 to this part (and each other command pod in the pack - there are no issues with them), and I have crew manifest, module menager, Romfarer's Lazor module and kerbal alarm clock installed.

Well that would explain why I heard chatter - Progress obrital module has 2 spots for crew, though they don't contain crew. Maybe it should check how many kerbals are actually on board to define it? After all, a mannable spacecraft travelling empty, on autopilot, would not produce chatter either.

This is good. I'll set it up.On second thought, I am going to stay with my button idea. If a vessel has no crew capacity, it will only give probe menu. If there are empty or filled crew spots you get chatter menu by default but there will be a button to switch between chatter and probe. Chatter will still only be played if there is at least one crew member on board. Gives a little more freedom of use and makes testing easier.

As for Soyuz Descend Module, when I add chetterer to this part (it's a marked as CommandPod in part.cfg) right after entry about loading this particular part there are 4 entries of NullReferenceException. If I try to do something with the frozen part, it starts to spam this entry. adding chatterer to a different part than Descend Module solves the problem. Also there are no such issues with any other pods from BobCat's Soviet Pack. Note that I've also added Mechjeb 2 to this part (and each other command pod in the pack - there are no issues with them), and I have crew manifest, module menager, Romfarer's Lazor module and kerbal alarm clock installed.

To get more info about the NullReferenceException, open the KSP_Data folder and then open the file output_log.txt. This is the same log as the in-game debug, but with a lot more detail. For example, the in-game log will just show NullRefException but the txt log will show:

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:set_active (bool)

at PQSMod_LandClassScatterQuad.Destroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQSLandControl+LandClassScatter.DestroyQuad (.PQSMod_LandClassScatterQuad q) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQSMod_LandClassScatterQuad.OnQuadDestroy (.PQ quad) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It will tell you exactly which .dll is causing the error and where in the code that error is happening. If it shows my plugin, post here or send me a message with what it says.

Edited by Iannic-ann-od

OK, I did as you said and it seemed that Deadly Reentry 1.3 was causing this (I was expecting it might not worked since it was flagged as a module for 0.19) so I removed it. It didn't solve the problem but this is what I got in place of NullRefs this time:

loading part: Soyuz TMA Descent Module

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Cannot load Module ModuleCommand because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Cannot load Module rbr_chatterer because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module

Cannot load Module MechJebCore because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module

Cannot load Module ModuleRemoteTechSPU because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module

Part Soyuz TMA Descent Module_4293608200 cannot load module #4. It only has 4 modules defined

Now, I have no idea what does this mean. I was launching a fresh spacecraft from launchpad. Removing rbr_chatterer from this part still fixes the freeze problem

OK, I did as you said and it seemed that Deadly Reentry 1.3 was causing this (I was expecting it might not worked since it was flagged as a module for 0.19) so I removed it. It didn't solve the problem but this is what I got in place of NullRefs this time:

...code...

Now, I have no idea what does this mean. I was launching a fresh spacecraft from launchpad. Removing rbr_chatterer from this part still fixes the freeze problem

I'm not able to duplicate your problem exactly, but I downloaded Soviet Pack 1.8.65 and found and fixed a problem that was breaking it for me. Good to go now.

1Z5uGoB.jpg

Unfortunately fixing this problem creates a new one that breaks allowing multiple Chatterers on a vessel. They will all be running and chattering at once.

I have this 0.4.1 update I have been sitting on all day that I am going to put up any second now without the Soyuz fix. I don't want to break anyone's existing vessels.

Until I have a solid fix made, here is a chatterer.dll for 0.4.1 with the fix that you can use. Copy over the entire regular 0.4.1 to GameData first and then replace just the .dll with this one. Be sure you are using the latest Bobcat [0.20.x]Soviet Pack 1.8.5 also.

Thanks, will test it out. There must be something wrong with that pod, s1 in BobCat's thread reported the same issue when using just Mechjeb (while for me it worked fine with MJ installed).

EDIT: I confirm this fix works. There is no more frozen rocket issue. Thanks!

Edited by m4ti140

What I have found is that with the Soyuz TMA parts is if you add the module code for both Chatter and MechJeb to a part.cfg it causes the part to freeze in space. I did 5 different test on clean installs of KSP and all mods involved. The Debugging menu was showing no errors so I don't know what the Ghost In The Machine interaction is but its bloody interesting.

Stupid question. Is it possibly that make the mod works without any part or .cfg edit ? I mean, a lot of mods work without any parts such as crew manifest for example. And, as we all want to hear all the chat, isn't it a good way to reduce part count that making this mod working without any part ?

Stupid question. Is it possibly that make the mod works without any part or .cfg edit ? I mean, a lot of mods work without any parts such as crew manifest for example. And, as we all want to hear all the chat, isn't it a good way to reduce part count that making this mod working without any part ?

Stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers. :P

I hope this isn't a stupid answer. It's not exactly the same thing as a .cfg edit but it's very close to it. I think this is still the best way, works like a charm for me (I haven't used any of the parts in this new version yet).

Want to easily add Chatterer to all the stock pods, probe cores and antennas?

1) Download the nifty ModuleManager plugin by ialdabaoth into /KSP/GameData/

2) Download chatterer-part-patch.cfg into /KSP/GameData/RBR/

For some bewildering reason 4.1 makes all of my vanilla pods not work with chatterer, while all my modded cockpits work fine with it. Yet their all listed in a modulemanager .cfg. It worked fine in 4.0. Bloody annoying, these types of problems (the ones that make absolutely no sense). Anybody else experiencing the same thing? Might just revert back to 4.0

Edit : Nevermind, It was a conflict between B9 and ModuleManager. Euuugh so much time wasted.

Edited by Subcidal

Stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers. :P

I hope this isn't a stupid answer. It's not exactly the same thing as a .cfg edit but it's very close to it. I think this is still the best way, works like a charm for me (I haven't used any of the parts in this new version yet).

Yeah, but module manager is very buggy with B9 as I've heard :-/

Yeah, but module manager is very buggy with B9 as I've heard :-/

Its also has issues with a few other mods Ive noticed, kinda a shame because I always thought deadly re-entry was cool lookin mod, but not worth it when it requires module manager, and that breaks about 1/3 of the other mods I use....

Its also has issues with a few other mods Ive noticed, kinda a shame because I always thought deadly re-entry was cool lookin mod, but not worth it when it requires module manager, and that breaks about 1/3 of the other mods I use....

That's the reason I still don't have installed deadly re-entry. I'm waiting for some sort of compatibility between several mods and module manager.

Netris, don't hold your breath, ... AFAIK, Module Manager has an uphill battle to become fully working with 0.20 mods that fully utilize the new part manger

(by fully utilize, I refer to the ability of multiple 'parts' to share one .cfg file, share one set of texures, and other features that so far only B9 mod has made good use of. As other mod dev's realize the RAM savings of these features, more and more will start to utilize them. Module Manager will no longer be able to work with them.).

No guarantees just yet, but I think part-free Chatterer is going to make it.

MO8rgHv.png

I really like it this way. No ModuleManager needed, no cfg files to edit, no parts needed, Bobcat issue disappears entirely, EVA Kerbals can chatter.

Unless there is major opposition to it, expect the next update to be part-free.

Hi.

I'm trying to install the new 0.20 version but the installation manual for this doesn't make any sense. If i were to follow these instructions, i would install the mod's GameData folder in KSP main directory. But there already IS a GameData folder that comes with the game (where all the stock parts are stored). So since You can't have two folders with the same name in the same directory, doing so will delete all my stock parts and only leave me with this mod.

Can someone please clarify how the new addon placements works?

Hi.

I'm trying to install the new 0.20 version but the installation manual for this doesn't make any sense. If i were to follow these instructions, i would install the mod's GameData folder in KSP main directory. But there already IS a GameData folder that comes with the game (where all the stock parts are stored). So since You can't have two folders with the same name in the same directory, doing so will delete all my stock parts and only leave me with this mod.

Can someone please clarify how the new addon placements works?

Move the folder 'RBR' from the download 'gamedata' into your KSP 'GameData' folder

path would be something like KSP/GameData/RBR

And partless chatter..EVA chatter...YES PLEASE!!

Ok, thanks for explaining.

To explain further, every mod will have its own folder in GameData, so GameData could end up looking like

MechJeb

Telemachus

Chatterer

Squad

With Squad's own core files loaded as if they were a mod.

This means that there should be no risk of corrupting the stock parts. If you are paranoid like me, you can also zip up the Squad folder so that you have a backup. You can leave it in this folder as .zip files arent read by the game.