[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

Personally, I think the SSTV should only be transmitted by a command. They're loud, frightening, and long. I wouldn't want that to happen randomly every five minutes.

Also those pictures are quite lovely.

And would it be possible to have some kind of built-in decoder?

Edited by mushroomman

My 0.02 kerbal monetary units:

• SSTV should only be transmitted by probes, it can be presumed manned ships have superior means of image transmission - after all, we see their portraits, don't we.
  • SSTV should be transmitted infrequently, not more often than once per 10 minutes of gameplay.
  • SSTV signal should be realistic, which means it probably has to be longish. So that it's not too jarring, it needs to be quieter than the other noises.

SSTV should only be transmitted by probes, it can be presumed manned ships have superior means of image transmission - after all, we see their portraits, don't we.

Manned missions can also use SSTV:

Apollo_11_first_step.jpg

Also, the portraits aren't necessarily video feed to the ground. They're just there to let us see our Kerbals' reactions.

Somebody told me to ask you for help on this, so I'll just copy and paste it over.

I just recently installed chatterer (link incoming!) http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/chatterer/

It worked great for a day or two, then I staged a mission to Pol, sent my lander down, came back up, then realized there was no "chattering".

I tried my insta-chatter key, but it didn't work either.

Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

And would it be possible to have some kind of built-in decoder?

It may be possible (MMSSTV has a .dll that can be used by other apps), but also well beyond my current abilities to implement. :) Unless I can find a savvy coder to help with that, you will have to use an external decoder if you want to see the images. Thanks for the input!

My 0.02 kerbal monetary units:

• SSTV should only be transmitted by probes, it can be presumed manned ships have superior means of image transmission - after all, we see their portraits, don't we.
  • SSTV should be transmitted infrequently, not more often than once per 10 minutes of gameplay.
  • SSTV signal should be realistic, which means it probably has to be longish. So that it's not too jarring, it needs to be quieter than the other noises.

Suggestions noted and considered, thanks!

Just a little change to the chatterer-part-patch.cfg, the "Mk1-2Pod" is called "Mark1-2Pod" so it should be changed to

@PART[Mark1-2Pod]

Thanks! Edited and re-uploaded.

Somebody told me to ask you for help on this, so I'll just copy and paste it over.

I just recently installed chatterer (link incoming!) http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/chatterer/

It worked great for a day or two, then I staged a mission to Pol, sent my lander down, came back up, then realized there was no "chattering".

I tried my insta-chatter key, but it didn't work either.

Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Is it only sounds that aren't playing or did the entire window and icon disappear?

Are you using any Bobcat parts on that vessel? Chatterer 0.4.1 can cause issues with the Bobcat Soyuz lander and there is a temporary patch in this post.

Be sure that all the Chatterer files are in the right place and didn't get deleted or moved. See the Manual.txt file in the download for a list showing all the files and where they need to be located.

Do you see any errors in the Debug window (Alt-F2 or Alt-F11) when trying Insta-Chatter, ie NullRefException? If so, you can find detailed information about the error in /KSP/KSP_Data/output_log.txt. It will look something like this:

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:set_active (bool)
at PQSMod_LandClassScatterQuad.Destroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PQSLandControl+LandClassScatter.DestroyQuad (.PQSMod_LandClassScatterQuad q) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PQSMod_LandClassScatterQuad.OnQuadDestroy (.PQ quad) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

If you see an error like this that shows 'Chatterer' in it, copy the lines and post them here for me.

hi there i was just wondering if i add the chatterer functionality to the capsules will it still draw a separate amount of electricity and if so will it be shown on the module

i.e command module alone draw 3.0 electricity/min

command module + inbuilt chatterer draw 4.0 electricity/ min

hi there i was just wondering if i add the chatterer functionality to the capsules will it still draw a separate amount of electricity and if so will it be shown on the module

i.e command module alone draw 3.0 electricity/min

command module + inbuilt chatterer draw 4.0 electricity/ min

Yes, Chatterer will draw its own ElectricCharge when included in the capsules. The amount is shown in the VAB when hovering over a part with Chatterer.

Edited by Iannic-ann-od

I was wondering if there is a way to disable the power usage on this mod? I spent some time last night but just couldn't figure it out.

Find the consume_resources() function:

private void consume_resources()
{
if (TimeWarp.deltaTime == 0) return; //no power draw when paused
if (vessel.vesselType == VesselType.EVA) power_available = true; //power always available and no drain
else if (chatter_freq > 0 || beep_manager[0].imprecise_freq > -1 || beep_manager[1].imprecise_freq > -1 || beep_manager[2].imprecise_freq > -1)
{
float recvd_amount = vessel.rootPart.RequestResource("ElectricCharge", 0.01f * TimeWarp.deltaTime);
if (recvd_amount > 0) power_available = true; // doesn't always send 100% of demand so as long as it sends something
else power_available = false;
}
}

Change it to this:

private void consume_resources()
{
power_available = true; //power always available and no drain
}

I have a probe that's using RemoteTech, which was originally connected to a manned vessel. The probe has the chatterer part, the launch vessel did not. I didn't switch to probe mode before release, and after release it no longer seems possible to switch it to probe mode... So I'm not able to select any probe options. "RemoteTech integration" is checked, though I'm not sure what it does.

Please make this randomly throw in a 'nominal' every now and then... That would be gold. In fact, if radio chatter is in the full game, frequent 'nominals' are a must-have. Except when things aren't nominal. But those times don't matter.

Edited by Vostok

Please make this randomly throw in a 'nominal' every now and then... That would be gold. In fact, if radio chatter is in the full game, frequent 'nominals' are a must-have. Except when things aren't nominal. But those times don't matter.

Ohh... my laughbox!

I have a probe that's using RemoteTech, which was originally connected to a manned vessel. The probe has the chatterer part, the launch vessel did not. I didn't switch to probe mode before release, and after release it no longer seems possible to switch it to probe mode... So I'm not able to select any probe options. "RemoteTech integration" is checked, though I'm not sure what it does.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was able to duplicate the problem and I'll be sure to have it corrected in the next version.

RemoteTech Integration does a couple things: 1) If you are not connected to the RT network, you get no chatter from Control. Crew will still call out in vain but receive no replies until reconnected. 2) Chatter from Control is delayed by the same amount of time as RT delays ship controls. Get far away from Kerbin and it will take quite a while for Control to reply.

If I add it, it's going to be backwards like everything else. :)

You will be able to do this in the next version with new loosely timed beeps. Instead of beeping every x seconds, you can instead choose have the beeps timed like chatter is timed, e.g. 1-5secs, 5-15secs, 15-30secs, and so on. Rename your audio file as beep_11.ogg or so, copy it into /Sounds, and you can listen to "nominal" until you're convinced it's not really a word.

Edit: almost done

NnTaISz.png

Edited by Iannic-ann-od