[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

i cant seem to get this mod to work. i used the mod manager to install (like i do with all my mods) and i can see it loading the sounds and stuff when the game is loading everything. i can put the chatterer on the ship but when i go to launch there is no icon or windows that i can see for me to turn it on. i got plenty of power on the ship so i know its not that.

i cant seem to get this mod to work. i used the mod manager to install (like i do with all my mods) and i can see it loading the sounds and stuff when the game is loading everything. i can put the chatterer on the ship but when i go to launch there is no icon or windows that i can see for me to turn it on. i got plenty of power on the ship so i know its not that.

Gonna sound stupid, but you sure there not a little green microphone just left of navball at the bottom? I've been running this mod forever and don't recall an easier one to use, that's only reason I'm asking if you are sure.

Check that mod manager installed all the files into the right place. There's a manual.txt file in the .zip that lists all the included files and exactly where they need to be for the plugin to find them.

If all the files are correct, check the game logs for errors. The most informative is \KSP_Data\output_log.txt. If there are any errors mentioning Chatterer, post them here.

Gonna sound stupid, but you sure there not a little green microphone just left of navball at the bottom? I've been running this mod forever and don't recall an easier one to use, that's only reason I'm asking if you are sure.

ya that's what i have been looking for since it did work at one time but i cant find it :(

i checked where the files were installed and they seem to be in the correct place (GameData/chatterer_4_1)

i will check that log.

well i found this in the output_log

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[unityEngine.AudioClip].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RBR.rbr_chatterer.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

other than that though i couldn't find any errors to speak of.

and yes i have checked for that little mic but its not there.

well i found this in the output_log

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

other than that though i couldn't find any errors to speak of.

and yes i have checked for that little mic but its not there.

Ok good. This problem is the chatterer beep files aren't where the plugin expects them. It's trying to load from an empty list and crashes the plugin. I need to fix this to just disable beeps if none are found and you need to check your file paths for all the included sound files:

-- the sounds
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\quindar_01.ogg
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\beep_01.ogg
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\beep_02.ogg
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\beep_03.ogg
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\...etc...

Your KSP path isn't important, but everything from GameData on must match exactly.

edit: I was sloppy when I made the .zip file and there is an extra 'rbr_chatterer' folder before you get to the real 'RBR' folder that you need in GameData. Mod manager doesn't realize my sloppiness and uses the extra folder too. I removed it put up a new download up that should work fine with mod manager.

Edited by Iannic-ann-od

Ok good. This problem is the chatterer beep files aren't where the plugin expects them. It's trying to load from an empty list and crashes the plugin. I need to fix this to just disable beeps if none are found and you need to check your file paths for all the included sound files:

-- the sounds
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\quindar_01.ogg
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\beep_01.ogg
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\beep_02.ogg
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\beep_03.ogg
C:\KSP\ksp-win-0-20-2\KSP_win\GameData\RBR\Sounds\rbr_chatterer\...etc...

Your KSP path isn't important, but everything from GameData on must match exactly.

edit: I was sloppy when I made the .zip file and there is an extra 'rbr_chatterer' folder before you get to the real 'RBR' folder that you need in GameData. Mod manager doesn't realize my sloppiness and uses the extra folder too. I removed it put up a new download up that should work fine with mod manager.

Sorry, I guess I should have pointed this out a few weeks ago. I noticed this myself and just cleaned things up myself. I just assumed everyone else would have figured that out for themselves, or you would have noticed sooner. Glad you got it fixed for everyone else though. It's amazing how many people depend on this mod for ambience. We love it man, keep up the good work!

ok so i managed to get the plugin to actually work now (problem was that mod manager would put the mod in a file named after the .ZIP file, so instead of being RBR it was upload bla bla chatterer)

but now i got a new problem, i cant hear any chatter going on. i got it set to max vol. and max chattyness but they must have space tape on their mouths because i cant hear them. funny enough i can hear some of the beeps though.

tryed doing a fresh install of the mod didnt work. looked through the Log and found this.

warning: initial chatter set is empty

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

warning: response chatter set is empty

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

initial_chatter_set has no audioclips, abandoning exchange

ok so i managed to get the plugin to actually work now (problem was that mod manager would put the mod in a file named after the .ZIP file, so instead of being RBR it was upload bla bla chatterer)

but now i got a new problem, i cant hear any chatter going on. i got it set to max vol. and max chattyness but they must have space tape on their mouths because i cant hear them. funny enough i can hear some of the beeps though.

tryed doing a fresh install of the mod didnt work. looked through the Log and found this.

warning: initial chatter set is empty

warning: response chatter set is empty

initial_chatter_set has no audioclips, abandoning exchange

This will happen for any of these reasons:

Does the gui show Apollo 11, STS 1, and Russian? If they are not shown, the audiosets.cfg file is missing or blank and no chatter could be loaded.

Does the gui show Apollo 11, etc but show (0 clips)? The chatter files couldn't be loaded.

Does the gui show Apollo 11, etc and proper clip counts? All audio sets are toggled off. Be sure the toggle to the left of the set name is on.

Chatterer v.0.5 with SSTV and lots of other improvements now available! See OP for more details and download links.

edit: The OP is still sporting a demo video of v.0.1. If one of you fine astronauts who is already set up to record video would please create a new short video (60 seconds or so) to use with beeping and chatting and possibly some SSTV, I would be most grateful.

Edited by Iannic-ann-od

Nice work. Has the force chatterer key been removed? If so it would be nice if there was a way to preview the beep sounds.

The insta-chatter key is still there. The button to change it has been moved to Settings.

I've added a one-time play beep when you click the name now.

So it seems like the version-check and RemoteTech checkboxes only show up if your vessel has a crew capacity on it. If you've only got unmanned pods, you don't get those settings options. Is that on purpose?

The RemoteTech toggle is intentionally hidden when crew count == 0. The version check toggle is a mistake.

I've added an updated chatterer.dll download to the OP with both this and Gristle's change made and a couple other small things I forgot to do for 0.5.

I'll try to keep it updated as bugs gets fixed or new things get added.

I love the SSTV, but I can't get it to work. I've been putting it into RSSTV to decode images, and they aren't working. Is there some specific setting I need to use? Also, would it be possible to save the SSTV signals as a .wav or something?

I love the SSTV, but I can't get it to work. I've been putting it into RSSTV to decode images, and they aren't working. Is there some specific setting I need to use? Also, would it be possible to save the SSTV signals as a .wav or something?

You have to adjust the slant if you want to see the image. I've spent hours trying to make them come out correctly but it's always slanted. :( Not sure whether the problem is me not knowing how to use MMSSTV or my cheap on-board audio or both.

You mean to include them as a .wav instead of .ogg, or are you getting at something else entirely?

You have to adjust the slant if you want to see the image. I've spent hours trying to make them come out correctly but it's always slanted. :( Not sure whether the problem is me not knowing how to use MMSSTV or my cheap on-board audio or both.

You mean to include them as a .wav instead of .ogg, or are you getting at something else entirely?

Wait - what? Your saying the SSTV noises are actual encoded pictures? Google fails me on this, please explain what SSTV and RSSTV are, I'm intrigued.

Wait - what? Your saying the SSTV noises are actual encoded pictures? Google fails me on this, please explain what SSTV and RSSTV are, I'm intrigued.

At its core, it's no different from other television broadcasts--radio waves being used to send data about an image. A lot of images played in quick succession make a video. What's special about SSTV is that it's very slow, so you don't need special equipment to properly record the data, and that it is broadcast over the same frequencies as voice transmissions, so that SSTV signals can be played as audible sounds.

I mean that after generating an SSTV, that you can then save it to be replayed later.

The SSTV in Chatterer has already been generated from a handful of the nicer screenshots I've taken.

While it may be possible to automate the whole process if a screenshot is taken, it's more than I can manage with my skills.

edit: I'm not sure what it was, but I did something right and now I can make SSTV images that aren't slanted. I will add a download link for just the new SSTV audio to the OP until next version.

Edited by Iannic-ann-od

The SSTV in Chatterer has already been generated from a handful of the nicer screenshots I've taken.

While it may be possible to automate the whole process if a screenshot is taken, it's more than I can manage with my skills.

edit: I'm not sure what it was, but I did something right and now I can make SSTV images that aren't slanted. I will add a download link for just the new SSTV audio to the OP until next version.

How do you decode the SSTV signal to view your screenshots?

A screenshot of two new features nearing completion: Unlimited number of individually configured beeps & individual audio filters for all beeps and chatter.

lpsNyr0.png

edit: Bonus image of the original Chatterer :)

Un8X7Ck.png

Edited by Iannic-ann-od