[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

I'm having difficulty running 0.5.6.2 on my Ubuntu Linux system. It gets through the initial loading screen, with the loading bar and "witty hints", but just as it's about to show the Start Game screen, KSP closes. A̶s̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶u̶n̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶g̶ ̶f̶i̶l̶e̶.̶ Nevermind that, I found a log, though it doesn't show any errors or warnings associated with Chatterer.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8725574/KSP.log

Well that's weird. It's working now. I had installed a fuel balancing mod previously, and tried to install Chatterer again. It actually works now. I even tried removing the other mods, and it still worked. I have no idea what was going on before.

It's happening again. KSP closes just after the yellow progress bar reaches the end, right as it's about to switch to the black orbital "Loading" screen. If I take the RBR folder out of GameData, KSP loads properly.

Edit: testing so far seems to indicate the issue lies with the graphics settings, for some reason. If (on my computer) textures are set to Full Res, KSP crashes if Chatterer is installed. Any setting below that, Half Res on down, works. KSP will load on Full Res if Chatterer is not installed. I've been watching memory usage. KSP never got above 1.1 gig of RAM either with or without Chatterer, crash or no crash.

Edited by AbuMaia

It's happening again. KSP closes just after the yellow progress bar reaches the end, right as it's about to switch to the black orbital "Loading" screen. If I take the RBR folder out of GameData, KSP loads properly.

Edit: testing so far seems to indicate the issue lies with the graphics settings, for some reason. If (on my computer) textures are set to Full Res, KSP crashes if Chatterer is installed. Any setting below that, Half Res on down, works. KSP will load on Full Res if Chatterer is not installed. I've been watching memory usage. KSP never got above 1.1 gig of RAM either with or without Chatterer, crash or no crash.

That's very strange and I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you tried with a fresh install of KSP? Fresh install of Chatterer? If on Windows, tried disabling UAC? Video drivers are up-to-date?

Hello.

I having real trouble getting Chatterer to work at all on my Windows 7 machine.

I've double checked that all the files are in the right place according to the manual.

The Chatterer objects appear in the utility group of parts and have been added to craft.

No microphone icon appears on the flight screen.

The game log from alt+f2 does not seem to mention Chatterer (apart from when the part gets destroyed).

I've replaced the GameData/RBR folder and even tried the new .dll, but I still have nothing.

It feels like something is fundamentally wrong. Any ideas?

Check your KSP_Data\output_log.txt file, will you? It's a lot more helpful when it comes to debugging. Any lines starting with [CHATR] is what you want to search for.

If you have the chatterer.dll anywhere within GameData folder it will try to load and should pop some errors into that log.

And have you tried Chatterer while Windows UAC is disabled? UAC has given me KSP problems before.

Ah - thanks for that Iannic-ann-od.

I thought that might be the issue when I couldn't find a KSB_Data/output_log.txt

I now have one of those, but all my saved games have vanished!

Is there any chance of getting them back? Or have they been UAC'd to death?

On the plus side, Chatterer now works - thanks again.

It would be a shame to lose them, I had one Kerbal on the moon with his arm trapped under the capsule, waiting for someone to come and rescue him....

Sorry if this has been covered already, but how do I turn off those annoying series of beeps? Kind of sounds like a dial-up modem throwing up.

I turned of Quindar tones and even set their volume to 0, but it still does it and it makes me want to punch babies.

I really love this mod, but those beeps, ugh. (I'm not talking about the single beep that can happen ~every 30 seconds).

Was this already proposed?

Aside from random conversations chatter shoudl play specific voices during some events like:

Stage separation

Hard-dock

Monopropellant deployed

Contact-light (landing)

When one starts some maneuver kerbal shoudl say some random thing like "commencing wz-78 burn"

And while reentry all you woudl be able to hear shoudl be radio interference due to plasma!

I am Russian, but I do not understand the words when the "russian" :)))

I can't understand the "STS" or "Apollo" and I'm American. Kerbal speak is backwards human speak. You can add your own sounds clips in normal human speak if you wish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you still working on this?

I mean updates used to come in a short time but now it is silence for a while now.

And its somehow stuck in mid between 0.5 and 0.6 (which seem to have really cool new features I really do like that)

I don't wanna push you, just know.

Are you still working on this?

I mean updates used to come in a short time but now it is silence for a while now.

And its somehow stuck in mid between 0.5 and 0.6 (which seem to have really cool new features I really do like that)

I don't wanna push you, just know.

The short answer is no. I haven't put any work into this project for weeks.

Frankly, I am absolutely burned out on KSP and KSP mod-making at the moment. I got this game when it was 0.15 and spent almost every bit of my free time for the next twelve months playing and learning how to write plugins for this super-addictive game. But it's like eating the same food for dinner for a year.

So if there is anybody who wants to take over Chatterer and do your own thing to it, that would be great! I'd like to see it stay alive in some form, but I can't be the one to do it right now.

The source code is linked in the OP. Please feel free to make it your own or use bits of it to make something similar!

it does work, but it is always on, even if you dont have a single chatterer module build on your rocket and it drags still the energy!

Chatterrer is partless - its always active. Energy consumption is an option and can be turned off.